back to article Bit price drop + compute-storage closeness = enterprise flash use boom

Enterprise flash drive use will surge over the next four years due to price falls, capacity rises, NVMe speed and Internet of Things (IoT) edginess, analysts have agreed. Senior bod at Wells Fargo Aaron Rakers has looked at trends and extrapolated them, and factored in flash drive supplier predictions and other research house …

1. Duncan Macdonald

NVMe bottleneck

Most PC systems are severely limited in the number of available PCIe lanes which limits the number of NVMe drives that can run at full speed. For an ordinary PC adding even one NVMe drive to the PCIe 3.0 bus limits the graphics card to x8 connectivity instead of x16 without NVMe

(EPYC, Threadripper and the more expensive Xeon chips do not have this problem with PCIe lanes. EPYC has 128 PCIe lanes, Threadripper has 64, higher end Xeons have 28-40.)

2. silks

Bitcoin

Ah, saw the headline and thought Bitcoin as that's just had a dramatic drop in value in the last new hours!

3. Rob Isrob

Charts as a test

We have seen that second chart on numerous occasions. I hate it. Who in their right-mind uses such a color scheme? It looks like a test for color blindness... I mean seriously, you can't hardly tell the difference in some of those shades of blues AND you have to blow it up, drop it in a tool to zoom in and make sure you see which box lines up with which bar graph. As me ol' friend Tony would say: Pity-full..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

flash to be 20% of capacity by 2021? thats still very impressive growth considering it just started taking hold around 2014-ish with enterprise options at reasonable prices.

however, think about the boom of all flash startups in the last 5 or so years? perhaps they burnt all their cash and stumbled before the market was ripe? Seems like theres still a lot of ground to be gained and so many have gone bust already...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like