back to article Disk drive fired 'Frisbees of death' across data centre after storage admin crossed his wires

The working week's winding down once again and that means it's time for another edition of On-Call, The Register's Friday tech support tale recounted by readers. This week, meet “Tim” who in the 1980s worked for Data General. Yes, that Data General, the one that EMC acquired for US$1.1bn in 1999 so it could make hay with the …

Page:

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not an uncommon incident.

The university I went to did not repair the door of the computing room after a similar incident for many years. It had several shards from a plate embedded into it. Someone apparently did not fix the pack properly. It was a living reminder - computers can be dangerous :)

There were other funny stories from the same period - like the engineering school VAX had a well established boot mark on one of the cabinets. The operators were told - if it gets stuck, you reBOOT it. BOOT there and exactly there. Geddit?

1. jake Silver badge

"Not an uncommon story", you mean.

Unless you saw it yourself, and can give me the make & model of the drive in question. But you heard the story from someone else, who heard it from ... It's "a friend of a friend", all the way down, with no details. I was one of the guys who used to go out and trouble-shoot these stories (for DEC in my case). It always turned out that somebody got pissed off, ripped the drive out, and threw it at the wall/door/whatever.

If you kicked a VAX on my watch, you'd get exactly what you asked for: A voided warranty. We had shock indicators inside for a reason.

1. Stoneshop
        Facepalm

Re: "Not an uncommon story", you mean.

Unless you saw it yourself, and can give me the make & model of the drive in question. But you heard the story from someone else, who heard it from ... It's "a friend of a friend", all the way down, with no details. I was one of the guys who used to go out and trouble-shoot these stories (for DEC in my case). It always turned out that somebody got pissed off, ripped the drive out, and threw it at the wall/door/whatever.

Quite. Looking at those packs you'll see that they won't come apart and fling their platters around without a serious amount of energy being required. Way more than a linear drive actuator can deliver. Orders of magnitude more. One thing, the actual mass of the head carriage is pretty low. For obvious reasons. There's a hefty magnet as part of the positioner, but that one's stationary.

Yes, you'll ruin the pack, and quite likely the positioner as it rams into the end stop. But separating the platters from the spindle? Not bloody likely. And that would have to happen before the drive would start flinging the platters, frisbee-like, across the room.

One of the early DEC RK-series drives had a positioner that used a photocell and a striped glass plate as feedback. Unfortunately, the glue used to affix the glass to the positioner wasn't quite up to the task, and under heavy load (such as the drive exerciser) the glass had a tendency to become loose. Ergo, no position feedback, resulting in the positioner trying to join the heads with the spindle with great gusto.

1. Dr Who

Yes, but why ruin a good story with the truth?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. elDog

I was not there but saw the effects of a rotating drum (preceded the spinning disks) that had come off its thimble and crashed through the cabinet, down a ramp, through a major door and across the hall.

I don't know the speed of this thing (attached to a GE-635) or its weight but I can imagine it was quite substantial.

As far as those possibly apocryphal stories about disks of death, we did used to dare each other to stand in front of a drive unit and press the emergency off button. This button was supposed to apply an immediate brake to the disks, probably making them useless but also possibly causing them to fly off at various angles. The height of this rotating mass of rusty bits was just below waist level. In those days most of us cared about the equipment down there.

3. The other JJ

I've head both the platters and the boot story many times from unrelated stories.

Those packs have a pretty solid spindle and the heads pretty much vaporise under the conditions described. I have in my spare room a platter with a deep gouge in the edge from a DEC RA60 that an operator crossthreaded swapping disks in a hurry. The people present recount a sound like a gunshot when he mounted the drive from RSTS. The heads had to be vacuumed out of the unit. The possibility that a poorly maintained or mistreated pack could come apart can't be ruled out though.

As for the boot, the networking consultant Bill Hancock told that story about his own VAX/750 at a DECUS UK convention in the mid/late 1980s and knowing him it wasn't original either.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Unless you saw it yourself,

I have seen the aftermath. The door, the shards and whatever was left of the drive cabinet.

I forgot to add a detail here - a couple of years prior one lazy sod (I know who too) got too tired of going through all the motions when changing disk packs and disabled most of the safeties.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Unhappy

I thought it was bad enough when you could actually see the "washtub" disk drive shake around during times of heavy disk usage...

[you KNOW there's a lot of centripetal force stored up in that 12" diameter spinning metal thing]

3. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Have been there, did not do that.

As a graduate student in EE, I managed to get a little independent work experience by hiring on as a replacement assembly line tech at the local DEC plant in Westfield MA (during the summers of 1976 and 1977). It was there that LA36 DECWriters, VT7x video terminals and RK06 disk drives were manufactured and tested.

I was hired as a final test tech on the RK06 (The RK06 was short lived, as the double density RK07 came out as we were ramping up the production line.) disk line. I was given a test procedure, schematics and a theory of operation manual, and told to test the drives and debug as required. I cannot stress enough how valuable this experience was, as I look back on it 40 years later. I got to work on a real design, see how real engineers did things, learn about manufacturability and testability, and get paid for doing it.

In any case, I was warned about the linear motor, the heads and the alignment pack. The RK06 had three or four "quad" modules, one of which was a linear board. It drove the linear motor, getting velocity and direction feedback from an optical slide and a couple of infrared sensors shining through it.

There was an emergency retract system, which applied battery power to the linear motor voice coil when feedback was lost. I think you can see where this is going.

While testing, there was a switch which could be used to disengage the voice coil drive. This was used to test the optical feedback sensors before closing the loop. There were other checks required of the wiring between the linear motor and the drive circuitry. Only after the feedback circuitry and the linear motor connections were verified good, was the switch to be closed.

I have personally seen, and heard, the results of miswired voice coil connectors. IN becomes OUT and vice versa. With speed too fast for human reflexes to react. It was common to rest one's hand on the top of the magnet housing, while using fingers to move the head carriage, while testing the feedback circuitry. We were warned multiple times to keep our fingers clear of the gap between the carriage and the housing. MOST of us managed to avoid getting our finger tips nipped by an unexpected emergency retract (feedback and wiring good, problem in the linear board). Some of us enabled the feedback circuitry without having adequately checked the connector. The result was usually heads driven into the alignment pack spindle, or nipped fingers.

As the platters were aluminium, and the spindle speed was a constant 3600 RPM, determined by power line frequency, there wasn't any possibility of the platters shattering (except, perhaps, by mechanical defect). The whole pack (2 platters, three data and one servo surface, 30MB?) was pretty solidly build, as I recall. But heads were routinely sacrificed.

Good times. I found my documentation last year, sitting in the bottom of an old file cabinet.

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

"We had shock indicators inside for a reason."

Indeed; and it's all of that hugely costly tenuous and superflouous value add stuff that DEC added that eventually put them out of business rather than keeping it all lean, but under a fantastic customer support policy.

1. Stoneshop
          Devil

and it's all of that hugely costly tenuous and superflouous value add stuff that DEC added that eventually put them out of business

Nope. That was called Bob Palmer. <spit>

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

"hugely costly tenuous and superflouous value add stuff that DEC added that eventually put them out of business"

Actually, I think DEC went out of business (or value lowered until they were bought up, more realistically) because they were "old tech" and the computer market had moved along. They sunk a LOT of effort into "Alpha with NT" with little effort in making PCs and cutting edge peripherals. HP, on the other hand, "did that" and survived the 90's.

And Sun won where DEC once ruled. Maybe Solaris helped?

[shock indicators are cheap - a cost benefit if it helps you prove that someone kicked the cabinet causing a head crash, thus voiding the warranty]

2. Gordon JC Pearce

A guy I know has a lovely spiral "rope" pattern embossed in the rear door of his Landrover, in a rough shape of a question mark. This was from a steel rope which parted and sprung back while he was trying to recover a stuck vehicle, and he keeps it to remind him not to forget.

1. wyatt

I can remember quite clearly the warnings given to us when being trained in vehicle recovery in the army. SWR is dangerous and needs to be worked with correctly. 'Live wire'/any thing under tension should be kept away from.

1. Blitheringeejit
          Facepalm

Any thing under tension....

Amen to that. Still scarred by an incident over forty years ago, when I stood on the front of a narrowboat stuck on a sandbank, paying out a rope to a kind passing boatperson which offered to tow us off. Attached rope to the front of our boat, then handed other end to kind boatperson, who attached it to their stern, and set off. Rope gradually emerges from water (therefore dripping wet and even heavier), staightens, tensions, then abruptly detaches from rear of other boat and flies directly back at me, impacting between waist and mid-thigh.

Good thing I never intended to breed.

(Facepalm icon because it was a "D'oh" incident, but also because there's never a crotch-palm icon when you need one.)

1. John Crisp

Re: Any thing under tension....

Trying to stop an approx 4" mooring line disappearing out the fairlead in my naive yoof I did the time tested method of slowing it with my boot. Until my boot snagged and got pulled complete with leg into the fairlead.

A testicle stopper on one side, and a large friction burn up my right butt cheek for my trouble. Stopped the dinghy with outboard that was pulling it to the buoy in a hurry....

Ah well, luckier than the docker in the Gulf on the previous trip who lost his head. Literally, as the polyprop multiplat rope, as above, let go (from a fellow officer present at the time... not pretty)

I won't mention anchor chains parting on the winch inches from your face....

At least wire sings before it goes. Quite sparkly as the strands flick against one another. Polyprop tends to stretch a lot, and then give up in a rush.

Saw plenty more incidents and accidents. I always gave anything under tension a wide berth.....

2. keithpeter Silver badge
          Coat

Boats

I used to commute on the Mersey ferry(*) some score of years ago.

They would tie one 4 inch thick rope round a bollard and then swing the ferry boat against the motors to align the stern with the Seacombe landing stage. The ropes complained loudly when the tide was running. I tended to stay back a little until the drawbridge went down.

(*) 1200 tonnes, four engines.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Establish no go safety zones for assistants and onlookers."

Yup. And yet you'd still be amazed at the number of people with winches who stand right next to them whilst they're in use.

1. AndyD 8-)&#8377;

Some years ago I went to a steam fair. A traction engine had descended a moderate slope to a stream (presumably to take on water) and had sunk to its axles.

A heavy Scammell equipped with a hydraulic winch was called to the rescue, it sank a barn-door sized spade anchor into the ground and connected up a rusty 3" wire rope. As the winch bit, the wire rope pinged and 6"lengths of broken wire stuck out a right-angles to the rope. vibrating. There were loads of people around, including kids, and no-one seemed bothered. I beat a very hasty retreat and hoped for the best.

2. Wensleydale Cheese

"Establish no go safety zones for assistants and onlookers."

When an RAC man was winching my broken down car onto the back of his truck, he made a point of asking me to stand at the front of his truck with him.

It only took half a millisecond for the image of a snapped winch cable in motion to register in my mind.

3. Andytug

Yup - have seen a neat(ish) hole punched right through the back of the tailgate of an old Range Rover. from exactly the same situation. Looked like a cannon shell had gone through it.

1. Mark 65

Yup - have seen a neat(ish) hole punched right through the back of the tailgate of an old Range Rover. from exactly the same situation. Looked like a cannon shell had gone through it.

There are plenty of videos around where people use the tow ball for vehicle recovery rather than a recovery hitch. Some of them show deaths as a result of said tow ball travelling like a cannon ball.

4. W4YBO

"a lovely spiral "rope" pattern embossed"

A guy I knew years ago had a similar mark diagonally across his chest from trying to use a retired "Gold Line" climbing rope to pull his dad's car out of an exceptionally large pothole formed from a minor flash flood. Warning: If water is running over the road, it also might be running under the road.

5. Wayland

I was leading a horse into a horse box and tied it to the ring behind me. Before the ramp could be shut the horse decided to back out. The nylon rope stretched longer and longer until the brass loop on the horses head collar snapped. The catch on the end of the rope shot past my head and punched through the sheet behind me pulling the rope through the hole.

3. JimboSmith Silver badge

On my first day in broadcasting I was introduced to the reel to reel tape machine - a Lyrec from memory. I was then introduced to the razor blade and how to edit audio using the two. Next piece of information was that razor blade did not live on the tape machine. To explain why I was shown how quick the rewind and fast forward spun the tape and reels. "Imagine that going at speed and a razor blade going with it". I agreed and was actually very nervous I'd do it. Then I thought that the razor blade was quite light. It would therefore be unlikely to stay on the reel whilst it got up to speed.

It was only later in the day that I spotted the some marks in the wall at desk height. Looking at the size and shape they were obviously from razor blades that had been left on the machine. Someone told me subsequently that if you left your blade towards the centre of the reel it could get up to some speed before coming off. I bought a magnet that sat in my desk drawer and I covered one end with some loosely held hard plastic. This held the razor blade securely covering the sharp edge when I wasn't using it.

1. Dyspeptic Curmudgeon

Magnetic Tape and Magnetized Razor Blade

I notice you do not report on the efficacy of your splices.

Using a razor blade that has been stored on a magnet, means that you are using a magnetized razor blade, on magnetic tape.

That produces loud bang, or pop noises in the resulting tape

But then I note that you only referred to your work there on the one day.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Magnetic Tape and Magnetized Razor Blade

I only used the magnet stored blade for when we were reclaiming tape reels. So much easier to just slice through worn tape on a reel rather than unspooling it. The first time I did it I unspooled about an hours worth of tape and filled the small office bin and then some. A lot more fun to do it that way but far messier.

Otherwise I had a bit of bluetack and a oil paper holder (to prevent rust) stuck to my the other side of the drawer tray. That held the working blade.

1. JPeasmould

Re: Magnetic Tape and Magnetized Razor Blade

The first year I helped out with the tape-store clear out at a studio in north London, I just took one side off the reels and let the tape unwind into bin bags.

Spending the next morning collecting lengths of 2 inch tape that stretched the length of Highbury New Park from tree to tree taught me that cutting the tape off the reels was the way to go.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

. I bought a magnet that sat in my desk drawer and I covered one end with some loosely held hard plastic. This held the razor blade securely covering the sharp edge when I wasn't using it.

Hoping your razor blade didn't become magnetized, that wouldn't be good for the audio on the tape.

3. Juan Inamillion

Wait. ‘Magnet’ plus ‘audio tape’? I’m surprised you kept the job. The last thing in the world that you want is a magnetised razor blade being used for editing tape! Must have have made a lovely thump as the edit passed the heads...

And never in all my many years in recording studios did I ever ever see an engineer or assistant leave a razor blade on top of a reel. Ever.

A ‘budget’ studio I worked in once had a Brenell 1” 8 track machine, this being the cheapest on the market. This meant it lacked some sophistication in the transport department. So you could go directly from fast wind to play without the transport slowing the reels down before engaging the pinch wheel and capstan. This produced what was called a ‘bootlace’, which was a few feet of tape stretched from being 1” wide to about a 1/4”. Needless to say this would always occur somewhere in the middle of a master take.

A full reel of tape on fast wind is a sight (and sound) to behold.

4. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Lathes

When I was at university somebody forgot to tighten the 10kg chuck on the machine shop lathe. When the lathe spun up to speed the chuck came loose, hit the floor at 2000rpm and took off like a rocket.

Years later the hole in the wall of the machine shop was still there. Pour les encourager les actress.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Lathes

encourager les actress.

They need encouraging?

1. elDog

Probablement les autres actrices.

2. Anonymous John

Harvey Wankstain thought so.

3. Michael Thibault
          Coat

"encourager les actress"

"They need encouraging?"

Direction, maybe? Motorvation? Directions to the door? Oh, I see. It's been lovely.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"the hole in the wall of the machine shop"

According to legend something similar happened to a 20k rpm biology centrifuge at a university I worked in when the pulse counter went wonky. Only it was on the 5th floor.

I read a similar story in the late 1970s about a 2MW hydro generator which lost its oil supply sometime in the past. Before the operators noticed and could (manually) stop it, it levered itself out of the cradle and thankfully went downstream for a couple of miles (upstream was the dam wall). The article noted that contemporary hydro turbines were 600MW with automatic emergency shutdown systems and in the one case of oil failure documented up to that point, the ends of the bearing holders were visibly glowing red hot before they managed to stop it.

Almost all those floor standing washing machine drives used mains-driven synchronous motors for the platters, so I'm surprised about overspeeding. About the only thing which sounds possible is that the head carriage shattered the spindle and freed the platters. Even at 3600RPM they'd be scary things.

1. Stoneshop

About the only thing which sounds possible is that the head carriage shattered the spindle and freed the platters. Even at 3600RPM they'd be scary things.

It's just that their relative energies and robustness would make it extremely, if not totally unlikely that the positioner could cause the platters to break free from the spindle. It's feasible with a pack not locked down on the spindle correctly, but in that case just spinning up the drive would cause havoc already, no need for the positioner to join in the fun.

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Chuck keys can be evil as well. Probably one of the more lethal tools in the shop.

1. Blank Reg

I've witnessed one incident of a chuck key launched into a cinder block wall where it ended up leaving a nice hole. The wall had several other scars in the vicinity indicating that this was not the first such incident, just one of the "better" ones as it managed to find a spot where it could make a hole.

This was in shop class and the idiot student that left the key in his chuck got a boot in the pants from the instructor. You can't get away with that anymore, but then you can hardly find machine shop classes in high school anymore either.

1. Kiwi

You can't get away with that anymore, but then you can hardly find machine shop classes in high school anymore either.

Careful! Even mentioning the term 'machine shop" is almost grounds for imprisonment these days, in case one of the poor wee dears has nightmares about getting a splinter in their finger.

1. Wayland

I think the main problem with machine shops is gender neutrality. It's such a masculine subject that rather than try and force girls into doing for the sake of feminism it they just ban it.

2. fords42

I don't know about that. Recently had a tour of the high school my young 'un will be going to next year and they had all sorts of cool stuff in the workshops.

1. Kiwi
                Pirate

I don't know about that. Recently had a tour of the high school my young 'un will be going to next year and they had all sorts of cool stuff in the workshops.

Did you notice the castor wheels underneath, where they roll the stuff out during parental unit tours and put it back into hiding at term time? Did you notice how the female parental units were steered into one room while all you male ones were steered into another (rumour has it the rooms the ladies see have large amounts of cotton wool everywhere, so while the menfolk are seeing nice toys they can only drool over using (and hope their sprogs come away with nothing worse than bone-deep cuts that miss nerves and arteries), the ladies see a very protected environment where a paper cut on a student results in the immediate firing and life imprisonment of the teacher)1

1 Implied stereotypical sexism not intended, even if it appears this post was written as such!

4. cageordie

That sort of thing really is common. In ten weeks of workshop practice we had the same idiot put one piece through the roof while turning between centers and then, not two weeks later, explode the stone on the cylindrical grinder. When a stone breaks at 5-9,000 rpm it has real energy, and the parts head out of the machine at speed. Even old 14" hard disks had nothing like enough energy to get out of the case.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Not an uncommon incident."

It should be. Assuming this story is correct and no apochryphal, the linear motor should have had a speed limiter and a cut out that operated as soon as the linear motor had rotated enough times (if it was geared) or beyond a certain angle (if it was direct drive) that the head would be off the disk or squashed up against the spindle. These are the sort of things industrial systems designers have to consider, obviously the world of HD manufacturers was different back then.

1. Stoneshop
        FAIL

FAIL

the linear motor should have had a speed limiter and a cut out that operated as soon as the linear motor had rotated enough times (if it was geared) or beyond a certain angle (if it was direct drive) that the head would be off the disk or squashed up against the spindle.

A linear positioner in those disk drives is not something that rotates, and it's not geared either. It runs on rails or sliders, driven by a voice coil enclosed in a magnet. Not unlike a loudspeaker. The limits are stops on the rails of some sort, usually its mounting points.

And if the feedback is knackered, there's no way the controller can tell the positioner is moving too fast or past its range.

1. joea

Re: FAIL

To visualize a "linear motor" for those unfamiliar, think "voice coil" as in the driver for an audio speaker. Only with circuity to move and hold precise position.

6. Maryland, USA

As in James Bond?

Wasn't a frisbee of death the decapitating weapon of choice by the henchman of Dr. No or Goldfinger?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like