back to article Quentin Tarantino in talks to make Star Trek movie

Entertainment publication Deadline Hollywood has reported that cinematic enfant terrible Quentin Tarantino has pitched an idea for a new Star Trek film. Deadline's quoted sources who said Tarantino “has come up with a great idea” for a new instalment set in the re-booted Trek universe. JJ Abrams, who launched the re-boot, may …

Silver badge

The first R rate trek film. Are they going to use the N word? is Samuel L Jackson going to be in the film ?

Silver badge

@ kain preacher.

My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie plusJohn Travolta as the skipper, Wesley Snipes and Michael Jay White as Klingon warriors,Hugh Laurie as the doctor and Eddie Izzard as a Vulcan.

A new voyage looking for psychedelic substances to expand the Galaxy's mind while killing aliens in green blood spurting slomo.

Silver badge

My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie

My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie

You forgot about Michael Madsen - cutting Farengi ears off while whistling a tune.

Silver badge

Re: My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie

I vote for Amanda Plumber as the ships Empath:

"Any of you f##ing [species] move, and I'll execute every motherf##in' last one of you."

Silver badge
Coat

Re: My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie

@ Voland's right hand

My first thought was a vulcan's ear... just because ferengi came later...

My coat, I think you can guess what is in the pocket.

Boffin

"Michael Madsen - cutting Farengi ears off while whistling"

That's not going to happen. It would take the entire length of the movie.

> Hugh Laurie as the doctor

I'd rather see David Tennant or Peter Capaldi.

Silver badge

I'd pay to see Peter Capaldi reprising his Malcolm Tucker role aboard the TNG-era Enterprise:

"Ferengi! More like Snow White does seven dwarves. Rules of f#cking acquisition you say? Have you and Dick Twattington f#cked all the I's and fisted all the T's on the latest Private Finance Initiative?"

Silver badge
FAIL

The recents Treks are crap. So he can't make the franchise worse.

The recent Treks (movies & TV) are just crappy run-of-the-mill action flicks, rather than character driven. So Tarantino making a Pulp Trek or Kill Bill Trek really would not be new. About the only "new" thing he could add would be the n-word, a Ferengi Unchained perhaps.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: The recents Treks are crap. So he can't make the franchise worse.

By "recent" I assume you mean everything from TNG onwards (inclusive).

Silver badge
Facepalm

@Chris G - John Travolta?? Have you forgotten Battlefield Earth already?

Silver badge

Samuel as the Klingon ?

What Wesley Snipes as the tax avoiding villain ?

Silver badge

Nah - Simon Pegg as the baddy would be a way better call...

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Respect

Tarantino has a respect for classic TV. Jokes aside, I can actually see him doing justice to Star Trek and honoring TOS.

Anonymous Coward

N word

No, but when you see Tarantino show up on screen be prepared to learn the racial term for a Klingon ca. stardate 1300.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: "Michael Madsen - cutting Farengi ears off while whistling"

"oo-mox" while cutting, for blatant S&M reference

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Oo-mox

Silver badge
Trollface

> Hugh Laurie as the doctor

I'd rather see David Tennant or Peter Capaldi.

Dr. Who + Star Trek crossover. Heh.

With plenty of hookers. and blackjack. and Daleks.

Bronze badge

Have Robert Rodriguez direct it. He usually manages to find a way to get Quentin Tarantino killed in his movies.

The way Q.T. died in Planet Terror would be a good starting point...

TRT
Silver badge

Samuel L Jackson in Star Trek

"I sense a plot to destroy my brothers. The Dark Side of the Federation challenges the Chancellor.

We must move quickly if the alliance is to survive. The oppression of the Klingons will never return! You, my lord, have lost!"

> Dr. Who + Star Trek crossover. Heh.

No, not really what I had in mind. More for having a laugh at the expense of the culturally ignorant over on this side of the pond; who don't or won't get the joke.

> With plenty of hookers. and blackjack. and Daleks.

Hookers and blow: good. Daleks: bad. See above.

Bronze badge
Terminator

With plenty of hookers. and blackjack. and Daleks.

So you're adding Futurama to the mix?

"Nah - Simon Pegg as the baddy would be a way better call..."

that would be brilliant, Scottie goes rogue!

TRT
Silver badge

Simon Pegg, Dr Who / Star Trek fusion.

The Editor and Mr Sin take on Captain Kirk... Ooh! Ooh! Mirror, Mirror universe story. YES!

Bad Scottie, Beardy Spock.

Megaphone

"My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie plusJohn Travolta as the skipper,"

No, has to be Kiefer Sutherland for Captain. He was born for it. He even looks quite a bit like Shatner did (strangely they're both Canadian as well). And he'd pull off the cold, violent Trek that would surely result.

Re: "Michael Madsen - cutting Farengi ears off while whistling"

You could cut to it throughout the film whenever you need a little comic relief

Wesley Snipes vs Wesley Crusher, Ideally something akin to the Subway fight scene from Blade

Silver badge

"Have you forgotten Battlefield Earth already?"

It took a lot of effort and some strong booze, but, yes, I had. You bastard!

TRT
Silver badge

Re Have you forgotten Battlefield Earth already?

*reaches for bottle of ret-con*

Anonymous Coward

Wesley Snipes vs Wesley Crusher,

Yes, put Whil Wheaton in it, definitely!

Facepalm

Re: The recents Treks are crap. So he can't make the franchise worse.

Er.. I think he means all the post Jar-Jar Abrams crap plus the two most recent TV series.

Silver badge
Pint

@Chris G - John Travolta?? Have you forgotten Battlefield Earth already?

I had.

You bastard.

Where's the mind bleach....

Anonymous Coward

English mother fucker do you speak it ?

Capt no he does not and our universal translator is not working

Silver badge
Joke

Did you see a sign in my front yard...

Saying dead Klingon storage ?

No ?

You know why ?

Because storing dead Klingon's ain't my f*cking bussiness !

Re: Did you see a sign in my front yard...

You got itty bitty bits of Klingon brain all over the back of my shuttle!

Well Discovery has the occasional swearing

And other things that might look out of place in the usually quite wholesome federation. I'm told hardcore Trekkies hate it...

For a Tarantino movie to work, it would have to have Jackson in it (and perhaps an infestation of some kind of poisonous space snake). "Pass me my phaser. It's the one with bad mother------ written on it".

Silver badge

Re: Well Discovery has the occasional swearing

I don't even consider myself a hardcore Trekkie, but do you know why hardcore Trekkies hate Discovery? Because until then it had an optimistic vision of the future. Even Seth MacFarlain's effort is better to watch than Discovery.

Star Trek: Discovery could have done well enough if it were called something else and not trying to fit into a universe it's not made for.

And if Tarantino gets to make a ST film then we might as well stick a fork in Star Trek because it's done.

Silver badge

@Jason

"For a Tarantino movie to work, it would have to have Jackson in it (and perhaps an infestation of some kind of poisonous space snake)."

Don't forget the non-linear timeframes. It needs to jump back and forth so many times that eventually you'll stop paying attention to the movie and more so to figuring out when the stuff you're watching happened.

I first saw this in Kill Bill and I thought it was different. Then I saw Sin City and well, it got boring ;)

Well that and the magic mushroom drive, that's when I turned of with a hearty "Screw you and the giant Moss Pig you rode in on"

They hate it because it's terrible, not for the occasional swearing. As above poster suggested; it may have been better had it not tried to fit into the Startrek universe but as it is it's just a terrible mismatch with poor acting and plot.

Silver badge

"Pass me my phaser. It's the one with bad mother------ written on it".

Phaser?

As in "Phaser, the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively, got to kill every motherfucker in the room; accept no substitutes"...

Silver badge

"Because until then it had an optimistic vision of the future."

I admit, I was calling it Star Trek: Doom for a while. (That, I would have watched. But they didn't stick with it.) But if you think Discovery is pessimistic you need to meet a real pessimist. And I think it might settle into something more closely resembling the original series when it resumes -- Lorca is about as close as we've come to Kirk; his ambition is more naked and he lacks self depreciating wit, but take him out the war and who knows.

I like Discovery, and I will continue to watch it

Silver badge

I'm told hardcore Trekkies hate it

Nope, we love it.

Check reddit trek nerdville for double confirmation. It is, as a matter of fact, epic.

Only people who hate it are pretenders, people who have probably never even seen it.

Anonymous Coward

You're no Trekker Kid, you are a trekkie.

Discovery is a mess and an insult to Gene Roddenberry's Legacy.

Anonymous Coward

I like Discovery, It's good and if you haven't watched it all then please keep your opinion to yourself, if you have then your opinion is valid.

I think what people fail to understand is that the world changes, people change, the way TV and Film is done over the years changes (lens flare...)

I take myself as an example, I've enjoyed all the star trek series and even the reboot. I remember when next generation first came out and people hated it but by the end everyone was fine with it.

My favourite start trek is Voyager, lets take that apart, I grew up watching dungeons and dragons and Ulysses 31 so the narrative aligned with those.

Everything changes, deal with it and just enjoy the narrative without trying to compare it to something from your own era.

This is of course my own opinion, feel free to have your own.

MJI
Silver badge

I like them as well and will continue driving mine.

Even though I swear at it.

Bronze badge

"And if Tarantino gets to make a ST film then we might as well stick a fork in Star Trek because it's done."

Personally, I think Star Trek has already hit that point a couple of movies ago. Tarantino can't kill a corpse. Maybe he can't resuscitate it either, but it might be worth a shot.

Silver badge

Re: @Jason

Kill Bill - the whole 'O-ren' sequence. And Lucy Liu. Yum! Throw in some animation to tell the back story.

/me wonders if Lucy Liu would make a good Romulan... one who'd been repeatedly abused by the Klingons since she was 10 years old, and by the time she was 12, she'd killed over 1,000 of them (and eaten their livers, with some fava beans and a nice chianti).

Silver badge

And if Tarantino gets to make a ST film then we might as well stick a fork in Star Trek because it's done.

Since Roddenberry died, the creativity and standards are gone. Corporate execs now run things and that just means one thing... they want profit no matter what. So they'll grab anything they can that has "Star Trek" in the title. So yes, ST was done some time ago but didn't know it.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

I prefer the retro-remake, Star Trek: Very Disco.

Get down, get down... n' boogie.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018