back to article Bring me your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to see behavioural advertising

Just because you earn a dollar a day shouldn’t mean you're lost to the behavioural advertising industry. Not to be confused with Android One, Google has introduced a featurephone-sized package of Android, called Android Go Oreo Edition, aimed at phone makers targeting emerging economies. And like Nokia’s short-lived Android …

Anonymous Coward

The spy in your pocket

just got a lot more veracious.

Sorry, people but moves like this make me want to avoid anything to do with google even more.

Google gets more evile by the day IMHO.

Re: The spy in your pocket

For creating a version of android that works on low quality hardware?

Criticism of Google is often fair. But it does have to be fair.

Silver badge

Re: The spy in your pocket

It's true that while the headline made me think this was about something ad-supported, reading the article just showed that this was a light version of Android designed to work on more affordable smartphones. Yes, that's not particularly nefarious.

Silver badge

So can we install the 'go' version

on 'full fat' hardware?

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

"Go" version on full fat hardware

You've hit the nail on the head there John. Sign me up for that.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Go" version on full fat hardware

Exactly. Surely if they can make a version of Android half the size with lower requirements that still does 90% of what people want....that should just be the standard version?

Anonymous Coward

When's it being released for the the original version Nexus 7?

Or do they just want us all to buy the next generation?

Facebook has a "striped down" app?

What, it's only 1/2 a gigabyte instead of 3/4?

Re: Facebook has a "striped down" app?

Just vertical stripes?

Silver badge

Have to redesign apps?

That's going to limit its uptake, surely. Basically they are making a sorta-fork of Android designed for markets where people have no money. So they won't pay for apps, and advertisers will pay very little to advertise on the apps. So where's the incentive to do this redesign?

Bronze badge

Re: Have to redesign apps?

> So where's the incentive to do this redesign?

Market share! New/more clients are always good, nowadays it doesn't really matter if they spend anything or not. It's all about the triumphant "we have increased our market share by xx%" announcement in the next shareholder meeting, that's about all the stock market needs/wants to hear.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018