back to article Foil snack food bags make a decent Faraday cage, judge finds

An Australian electrician has failed in an effort to regain his job after a judge ruled he hid a work-issued GPS-equipped PDA in a foil snack food bag to avoid being tracked. Mr Tom Colella claimed he was unfairly dismissed from his job as an electrician, after someone ratted him out to the boss for playing golf during working …

Silver badge
Joke

Colella is now an Uber driver...

Good luck putting a foil bag over the car !

Silver badge
Devil

Re: Colella is now an Uber driver...

That sentence seems rather harsh.

Silver badge

Re: Colella is now an Uber driver...

Hey if you can't do the time then don't do the crime

Anonymous Coward

'Works for Uber now'...

In the well paid Greyball and Waymo intrusion section...

Silver badge

"They're a lot like Cheetohs. Only better."

Something to be avoided, then? Ta for the advice.

Re: "They're a lot like Cheetohs. Only better."

Twisties? Cheetohs?

Kneel before our Wotsits, Colonies!

Gold badge
Happy

Sure, kneel before the Wotsits. But only in order to pray for thanksgiving that better snack foods are available - that don't turn your hands, mouth and insides radioactive yellow.

Surely the Quaver is the better choice of crap "cheesy" crispy thing here? Although I think I'd prefer a pickled onion Monster Munch right now.

So many yummy crisps, so little time.

Silver badge

Just avoid the Scampi Nik Nak's the smell doesn't leave your fingers for ages. Even after the first time you wash your hands it lingers on.

Anonymous Coward

@Scampi Nik Nak's

Yeah that's what she said

Anonymous Coward

"the smell doesn't leave your fingers for ages. Even after the first time you wash your hands it lingers on."

I used to have a girlfriend like that.

Anonymous Coward

That's food for thought.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Faraday

Being a surname Faraday should be capitalised. Have some respek

Re: Faraday

and it should have three 'a's

Silver badge

and it should have three 'a's

Faaarady?

No - that doesn't work..

Coat

Aye, aye, ...aye (said in a Scottish accent)

Silver badge

Has anybody actually tested this?

In theory it could work, but I'd be surprised if doing this would actually stop a cellular device working, particularly if you weren't going the extra mile and sealing the edges with conductive tape,

Silver badge

Re: Has anybody actually tested this?

Er... it'll work just fine.

Just twist the top closed.

Hell, you can try it yourself with your phone or any other device.

A thin layer or metal in all but one direction will cut all the radio transmissions except in that direction. No GPS sats in that direction (i.e. pointing along the road)? No GPS triangulation. No cell tower? No cell signal.

It's entirely feasible, easily tested, and quite effective.

Silver badge

Hell, you can try it yourself with your phone or any other device.

I would have, but I didn't have a crisp packet big enough to contain a 5.5 inch phone and twist the top shut.

A shiny anti-static bag will do just as well. Just fold the top over.

Silver badge

Or just use two foil crisp packets overlapped - one over the top, one over the bottom.

Silver badge

I'll let you mix your phone with the gease, salt and food particles....

Silver badge

mix your phone with the gease

It would probably fly North for winter if you did that? That would confuse the GPS tracking until Spring.

Silver badge

It would probably fly North for winter if you did that?

Unless they are Canada Geese. They fly south for the winter (as their abundant presence in our local park can attest).

And they pretty quickly work out that people standing by the lake with plastic bags means food. I try and tell the geese that bread is bad for them but they don't seem to care.

Silver badge

"I'll let you mix your phone with the gease, salt and food particles...."

Not a problem. Put the phone in something else before it goes in the crisp packets. A (clean) sandwich bag will do the trick.

Silver badge

anti-static bag will do just as well

Some will block RF. Just as some energy saving coatings on windows do, or some flat screens have a transparent RF blocking layer, otherwise RF inference from them is dreadful.

I'll let you mix your phone with the gease, salt and food particles....

Turn the bags inside out!!

I believe you have to munch on those thingies inside, before putting your phone in there. Or get a bag of those kettle-baked (and nongreasy) Lays potato chips.

Cheetohs?

a) I think it's Cheetos.

b) Wotsits or GTFO.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Cheetohs?

You beat me to it Huw, have a thumbs up.

'A bit like Cheetos' indeed.

Silver badge

@ Huw D

Chester is grateful...

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Cheetohs? @Dabooka

Don't you mean crumbs up?

Silver badge

In the fine ole USofA we spell it DrumpOs. Orange on the outside, grease and gook on the inside. Oh, so good - especially when you're starved for reality.

Anonymous Coward

I converted a shed into a garden office, insulated with celotex (insulation with foil on both sides), then wondered why the wi-fi reception was bad then remembered Faraday. Installed a powerline hot-spot.

TRT
Silver badge

Wonder how that affected e.g. Grenfell?

Silver badge

D'oh!

Years ago I lined my loft with a foil insulator, somehow completely ignoring the TV aerial strung between two beams.

There have been very few days when I have felt more stupid.

TRT
Silver badge

Not "Grenfell the disaster" but "Grenfell" as in a large tower block that was suddenly covered in aluminium sheeting supported by a steel skeleton.

Anonymous Coward

yummy AC

so now you've become a microwaved entree? viz. http://www.emfnews.org/Car-Radiation-Cell-Phones-Faraday-Cage-and-Cancer.html and https://www.electricsense.com/148/could-the-emfs-in-your-car-kill-you/ 'To deal with this issue you need to measure the EMFs in you car [shed'. A multi-function EMF meter will enable you to measure the magnetic fields and RF radiation in your car and indeed in your home.'

Silver badge
Trollface

Colella is now an Uber driver.

Seems like he's finally found a good fit for a Company - neither one of them likes playing by the rules, both of them do whatever they can to get around the rules, they both prefer going to Court/Tribunals instead of facing up to what they did, and then both get a good smack down from said Court/Tribunal when it all comes out in the wash..

Maybe we're looking at Uber's next CEO. He's certainly got the work ethics right...

tags?

Have any naughty boys tried wrapping their ankle tags in crisp packets yet?

Silver badge

Re: tags?

If it was programmed with any kind of sensible logic, loss of signal would be the same as removal of the tag.

Otherwise just running out of range would stop it working properly.

Tags are only really used to constrain you to a certain area (e.g. your home), so they have the opportunity to make sure the signal is fine for that purpose and that any drops can only really be attributable to tampering or obscuring the signal.

Yup - crisp packets, cool bags, bathtubs - you name it! Signal loss does count as a possible violation and requires a visit from a bloke with a huge aerial on his company car.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Have any naughty boys tried wrapping their ankle tags in crisp packets yet?

You may find some of these posts of interest.

Silver badge

Phone in microwave oven

If you put your phone in a microwave then dial the phone's number it will ring. Makes you wonder how good the oven shielding is. Should be obvious but warning anyway: if you try this yourself at home do not power on the microwave oven during your test.

Re: Phone in microwave oven

Think the oven shielding is tuned to match the frequency the oven uses, so any other frequency would probably get through.

Most microwaves are a solid metal case on three sides anyway so you'd have to be lucky and the mast be facing the 4th side?

Or....you're just trying to make people stick their phones in the microwave for the lulz, as a certain percentage may accidentally switch it on....

Silver badge

Re: Most microwaves are a solid metal case on three sides

Shielded on SIX sides. There is a RF porous window that blocks damp that has the Magnetron cavity behind it. The shielding isn't tuned, but will have an upper limit.

The holes at the lamp and the door screen will block 3GHz and lower frequencies at least, maybe as high as 5GHz.

I've not tried a phone or a wifi device. The shielding is not perfect (I've tested leakage out), so perhaps if there is a very strong mobile signal it will work.

Silver badge
Windows

:you're just trying to make people stick their phones in the microwave for the lulz, as a certain percentage may accidentally switch it on...."

The scary part would be the lot that would dial the phone number on the microwave buttons................

Silver badge

Did people REALLY drill holes in iPhones?

Silver badge

The earlier commenter is right, the slight gap around the door on a kitchen microwave lets RF energy in and out with relatively little attenuation except at the operating frequency of the microwave. Wideband shielding would be too expensive and is not needed for safety.

If you mangle the microwave door edges you risk microwaving your eyeballs and other parts but phone reception in the microwave will not be much affected..

Re: Most microwaves are a solid metal case on three sides

My co-workers said Put some gingko leaves around the microwave to keep little bugs out. We even have the leaves in a little plastic tray beside the oven, which is kept inside a kitchen cabinet. After several days, the bugs seemed oblivious of those leaves, which were very effective elsewhere.

I've deduced that the shielding on the microwave works -- and the bugs have NOT found the hole with the lamp but they DID figure out that the hole where the spindle goes in can protect them effectively against Mother Nature's gingko-leaf deterrent. I told my co-workers that the bugs are PROOF that there is no radiation leak from the microwave to worry about -- and that the bugs are quite safe in their hidey-hole. Put as much leaves as you want, puny humans. We'll be here, all nice and warm and immune from those so-called 'death rays.'

TRT
Silver badge

Problem not bunking off...

He went playing golf. And THAT is an activity reserved for management. Inappropriate aspirations.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018