back to article Pastry in a manger: We're soz, Greggs man said

Budget Brit pastry purveyor Greggs has been forced to apologise after substituting a sausage roll for Baby Jesus in its limited-edition advent calendar. Each door behind the £24 promo features a traditional festive scene, such as kissing a Festive Bake under the mistletoe, a Christmas tree adorned with mini gingerbread tree …

Page:

1. Pen-y-gors

But El Reg complained first!

See title

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But El Reg complained first!

El Reg is a secular pub.

2. TheVogon

Because the Sky Fairy cares....

1. Richard Wharram

The Sky Fairy should care more about the blatant usage of a nativity scene not described in the Gospels (regardless of the sausage roll replacing baby Jesus).

The 3 wise men/magi/kings were in the Matthew version of the nativity story. In that they follow a star to what is definitely a house, not a stable. There is no 'manger' (actually the Greek word for manger and crib was the same so that is probably a mis-translation anyway) and Jesus was not described as a baby but a child.

The Luke version of the story has shepherds, angels, an inn, a BABY Jesus and possibly a manger (see above) but no wise men.

Mark and John don't describe the events.

Greggs at least need to move their pastry into one version of the story not some hybrid/reboot.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Greggs at least need to move their pastry into one version of the story not some hybrid/reboot."

Why would one fictional story be better than any other?!

1. Richard Wharram

"Why would one fictional story be better than any other?!"

Have you seen Highlander 2?

3. TheVogon

Seems rather appropriate to me. Someone must have played "hide the sausage" whatever Mary said....

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Spineless of them to give in

We need more companies to take the piss out of religion. After all, if Coke can get away with dressing St. Nicholas in corporate red & white, what's wrong with a festive sausage roll nativity scene?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spineless of them to give in

We need more companies to take the piss out of religion

I'd like to agree, but apart from (to an extent) Buddhists and Christians, most world religions have huge numbers of primitive, sky-fairy devotionalists who would consider that such piss taking deserved a violent response, and often random and exceptionally violent responses at that.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

who would consider that such piss taking deserved a violent response,

And deciding not to take the piss because of that is giving in to them, which is exactly why they do it. The only way to stop them is by not being intimidated.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Attacking Christianity in Britain is like kicking a child in a wheelchair.

1. Rich 11

Attacking Christianity in Britain is like kicking a child in a wheelchair.

Rubbish. A child in a wheelchair is a human being and has the same value as you and I. Christianity is a religion, a man-made concept which is open to question and criticism however much a number of people might value their belief in some particular one.

Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't want me to take your claim literally? Then try to think of a better simile, one which doesn't confuse the apparent powerlessness of a power structure with sympathy for the plight of a disabled person.

1. VinceH

Rich 11 replying to flatpackhamster's comment that "Attacking Christianity in Britain is like kicking a child in a wheelchair."

"Rubbish. A child in a wheelchair is a human being and has the same value as you and I. Christianity is a religion, a man-made concept which is open to question and criticism however much a number of people might value their belief in some particular one."

I may be wrong, but I think you're actually making the same point flatpackhamster was, rather than countering it. I don't think he was likening the two different things, but making a point about the attitudes of the sort of people who complain about a sausage roll in a nativity scene.

2. Dr. Mouse

And deciding not to take the piss because of that is giving in to them, which is exactly why they do it. The only way to stop them is by not being intimidated.

Exactly. I follow the South Park philosophy: either everything is OK to make fun of, or nothing is. As soon as you bow to one group who take offense, you will have to back down to more and more (if you are not being hypocritical) until you cannot take the piss out of anyone or anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

". I follow the South Park philosophy: either everything is OK to make fun of"

Didnt they chicken out from broadcasting an episode taking the piss out the paedophile prophet?

1. Simon 15

I think it was the network that censored it rather than the south park creators themselves. I'm assuming you're referring to the prophet Mohammed here too as he was the most prolific paedophile by our modern civilised standards. His youngest wife, Aisha was just six when they were married but to be fair he did wait until she was nine before he sealed the deal.

Not that other religions are any better, but are there any worse?

2. Sweep

Comedy central chickened out of showing him in one episode, not the creators. He had already appeared uncensored in a previous episode.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Mushroom

I'd like to agree, but apart from (to an extent) Buddhists and Christians

News from across the continent:

Did you hear the one about the women in Spain who reported the nun who stole her when she was a baby to the police? She got fined €43,000 for "insulting the nun" and when she couldn't pay got five months prison. She appealed to the government to pardon her and they decided not to. link (Spanish)

Never give religion a free pass. Not even Christianity.

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: (to an extent) Buddhists

See Myanmar.

2. Jim 59

Did you hear the one about the women in Spain who reported the nun who stole her... Never give religion a free pass. Not even Christianity.

"Jack the Ripper (British) was apalling. Never give the British a free pass, never."

1. wallaby

"Jack the Ripper (British)"

there are a number of theories about Jack, one with some evidence to back it up has him as a Yank not a Brit

https://www.biography.com/news/american-ripper-hh-holmes-jack-the-ripper

1. Chemical Bob
              Joke

"here are a number of theories about Jack, one with some evidence to back it up has him as a Yank not a Brit"

Nah, if he was one of us he'd have used a gun.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Lousy evidence. HH Holmes was busy killing people in Chicago at the same time Jack the Ripper was busy killing people in London.

2. DavCrav

""Jack the Ripper (British) was apalling. Never give the British a free pass, never.""

Well, your spelling is appalling, but whatever. The point was that she gets five years in prison for being a victim, and this is because the Church is a corrupt institution. See also, massive paedophilia cover-ups.

Not quite sure how Jack the Ripper was a case of institutional corruption on the part of the British.

1. MJI Silver badge

I think you will find it is Spain in general.

All teh missing people and stolen children.

Franco stuff

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Not quite sure how Jack the Ripper was a case of institutional corruption on the part of the British."

Well, some theories claim he was a member of the Royal family....so...COVER UP!!!11!!!1!1

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Never give religion a free pass. Not even Christianity.

I wouldn't.

I was just making a point that (certainly in Britain) quite a few religions DO have a free pass. Personally I'd stamp on all religions that have a built in inferiority and extremism, and that's most of them.

4. TDog

Bit of a bugger that - so are you going to create a new religion / law / credo that says exactly what? I don't disagree with the principal I just can't see the implementation working. You could try complete separation between church and state like USA but I see an awful lot of Congressmen and Senators still quoting the bible as if it were the literal word of God - who we all know spoke and wrote in a Southern USA drawl and style.

Nah - when society signs up to fascism in the name of God then Lieutenant Heinlein's response to Nehemiah Scudder is the only rational action; albeit fictional.

"You should only own yourself".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"You could try complete separation between church and state like USA"

That's always puzzled me when pretty much every President invokes his god in so many public speeches and even invokes their god on the currency.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah and here I was thinking we're at the point where at least one montheistic behemoth has finally reached the stage of ridicule on its path to irrelevance, so we can move to the next ones, because I think only ridicule is the real tool to do that.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, if you mean the muslims then why not just have the balls to say it? Imagine the prophet Mohammed being used to advertise a pork product, we'd have the next Holocaust.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Imagine the prophet Mohammed being used to advertise a pork product, we'd have the next Holocaust."

If I had enough money, I would run with that just for the lols.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"f I had enough money, I would run with that just for the lols."

For sure that's got to be the next Danish bacon advert!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah, if you mean the muslims then why not just have the balls to say it?

Because it isn't just Muslims.

If I carry a dagger around, or rode a motorbike without a helmet, I'd be prosecuted, but that's A-OK for Sikhs. If I killed an animal by slitting its throat, the RSPCA would have me in court ASAP - unless it was ritual slaughter for both Jewish and Muslim communities.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Ah, if you mean the muslims then why not just have the balls to say it? "

Probably because Islam is not the only one with a "free pass", even if that is what most people first think of.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Would that be Jewish or Muslim pork?

How is it that two religions that are so similar manage to be on opposite sides?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"How is it that two religions that are so similar manage to be on opposite sides?"

For the same reasons that different sects within the same religion can be opposite sides. Huge fundamental differences over what colour the hats should be. :-)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: urban legends that Santa Claus was invented by The Coca-Cola Company

The Coca-Cola Company

Still, their stupid red truck visits across UK etc should be boycotted.

A really nasty company that targets poor, 3rd world and tries to make their drink addictive. Even the sugar free version may promote diabetes.

Their marketing is unethical. Ever wondered why so many fast food places, even independent, only have Coca-Cola branded soft drinks, fridge and signage? That bears an investigation by Competition Authority in UK, Ireland and other places.

A major purveyor of diabetes, tooth decay and obesity. Possibly even part of American Cultural Imperialism? The Coca-Cola Company, McDonald's, Disney, Budweiser, Google, Apple, Facebook, KFC, Starbucks, Nike, Levi are not signs of Democracy. We outside USA have enough stupidity of our own without importing it.

1. Dave559 Silver badge

Any particular reason why you omitted Microsoft from your list of American Cultural Imperialists?

(Linux FTW (which of course is essentially international as an ecosystem))

1. wallaby

"Any particular reason why you omitted Microsoft from your list of American Cultural Imperialists?

(Linux FTW (which of course is essentially international as an ecosystem))"

Jeezzz Louise

even for a Penguinista, dragging Microsoft into it and bigging up Linux in a forum post about Sausage rolls.....

OH PLEASE GET A LIFE.

1. Dave559 Silver badge

I was following up to someone else's previous comment which referred to (among others) Apple as an example of American Cultural Imperialism, but, oddly (in my opinion), did not include Microsoft in their list, which I thought was rather unusual, as I know which one I'd regard as the worse, that's all.

3. Chemical Bob
      Devil

Frankly, little baby Jesus was replaced by the sausage roll a long, long time ago (figuratively speaking).

4. SundogUK Silver badge

Completely misses the point. If you don't have the balls to take the piss out of Islam then taking the piss out of Christianity is utterly hypocritical.

3. adam payne

Yeah you protest against that sick anti Christian advert calendar and boycott the company. How dare Greggs do this.

Now back to reality, people secure in their beliefs shouldn't need to scream and rant about such things. There are bigger things to worry about imo.

1. The Indomitable Gall

I think the best way to think about religious offence...

I think the best way to think about the offence taken by religious people is this:

How would you feel if this was your mother?

I mean, even if there is no god (I'm an atheist myself), religious people genuinely feel filial love for their figures of veneration. Thus, think about whether you would insult someone's mother that way.

Now before anyone says "it's a delusional feeling", well yeah... I personally agree with you, but it makes no difference: they feel it, and making them offended doesn't free them of the belief -- it just offends them. So what is the purpose?

So let's get back to the sausage roll.

If someone replaced my mother with a sausage roll, how offended would I be? Not very. Unless it was presented explicitly as an insult. So I do think it's a bit of a silly overreaction, but guess what...? A handful of Twitter users is nothing. You're talking about the overreaction by a tiny number of people... so aren't we also guilty of overreacting.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

people secure in their beliefs shouldn't need to scream and rant about such things

I really, really wish I could give you more than one upvote..

4. John G Imrie

Offence

Greggs have just offended me by apologising to the Christians, now where can I vent my spleen?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Offence

Twitter.

2. Rich 11

Re: Offence

Canterbury Cathedral.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon