back to article Sean Parker: I helped destroy humanity with Facebook

The billionaire and former Facebook president Sean Parker now says he regrets helping turn the social network into a global phenomenon. The site grew by "exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology" with its greed for attention and the careful reward system it created to keep users addicted. "We need to sort of give you a …

vulnerability in human psychology

That's where the money is these days, in politics, business, you name it. I feel like that guy (was it Vincent Price?) who is the last non-zombie in the world when I'm on the street or the train and everyone is glued to their screen.

Re: vulnerability in human psychology

Hmmm I have that same feeling - though I often am chatting with a friend on discord or some other such platform along the way. But yeah not social networks...

Silver badge

Dunno about Vincent Price and zombies, but Charlton Heston (and later Will Smith) was the last non-vampire left alive in The Omega Man. Will that do?

Silver badge

@ Rich 11

Took the comment out of my brain! +1 sir! Beat me to it ;-}

Trivia.

Vincent Price played the last man on Earth in a movie named "The Last Man on Earth". "Omega Man" and the Will Smith movies are essentially remakes, oops I guess the politically term is "reboots". All three of them are based on a book named "I Am Legend".

Silver badge
Pint

Last Man on Earth - 1964. Spot on.. have a cold one.

and you wrote that post to get some +1s too, didn't you?

Meh

$7.8 BEEEEEELLION?

Yeah, he must be absolutely gutted.

Silver badge

Re: $7.8 BEEEEEELLION?

The good news is that with $7.8 BEEEELION, you can afford a lot of recovery therapy.

Silver badge
FAIL

Notice he does not feel badly enough to, say, donate it all this week to help humanity.

Silver badge

Yeah, with that sort of money you can REALLY be sorry. It takes a poor man in the dock with all his precious cash taken away from him to show actual remorse.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: "he does not feel badly enough to [..] donate it all"

Because of course that's what you would do.

Anonymous Coward

I think he weeded out the idiots, rather than actually destroy humanity.

Right, they'd be plonked in front of the telly or jawboning in the pub otherwise. At least on FB they're pushed to take natural selection selfies...

I believe the original name was going to be "The B-Ark", but they chose to change it to "The Face Book" at the last minute to avoid tipping off their Golgafrinchan investors.

Mushroom

"Weeded out the idiots"

That only really helps if you...you know...'get rid of' the weeded out idiots.

Silver badge
Trollface

Remorse?

Is that what I see in Zuck's eyes? Naw, it's $ $

Bronze badge
Trollface

Apology or Gloating?

I can't see the word apology or sorry in the article so is he apologising for Facebook destroying society or gloating that it destroyed society. I know the by-line says he regrets it, but there is no direct quote from him saying it.

Silver badge

Re: Apology or Gloating?

Regrets while sitting on a pile of money... ok.. sure.

Anonymous Coward

"Hammerbacher looked around Silicon Valley at companies like his own, Google, and Twitter, and saw his peers wasting their talents. “The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads,” he says. “That sucks.”"

He's not the first to say it, and he's not wrong. Shameful waste of talent and resource.

Silver badge

"The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads," he says.

Oh, but they've grown since then. Now they also think about how to trick people into mining cryptocurrency, or how to hold people's data for ransom. The ultimate goal is to find a way to make people do all three at the same time, while also coughing up the password to their online banking account.

Anonymous Coward

'thinking about how to make people click ads'

The voyeuristic behavioral ad-driven push, means that money that could have gone towards flying / hover-cars R&D gets shelved... The Tech future is a pale imitation of what was promised...

Silver badge

Re: 'thinking about how to make people click ads'

The Tech future is a pale imitation of what was promised

I vaguely remember a poem that we studied at school bemoaning about all the effort that goes into making chocolate that melts in the mouth and not in the hand rather than a cure for cancer..

Can't remember the name or poet. And my DDG-fu is at a particularly low ebb..

Anonymous Coward

something like an addiction can be found here

cookieAbsent

they can (...) and die.

Anonymous Coward

Re: something like an addiction can be found here

And if they're UNdead?

Silver badge
Devil

Re: something like an addiction can be found here

"And if they're UNdead?"

In the words of F.P.S. Russia: "But deze are *zombies*. You must shoot zem in de *head*. Remember dis, iz vwery important. With zombie, you must destroy de *brain*. So let's do that..." (ultimax machine gun video)

Anonymous Coward

In awe of Facebook's... Ever take a FB quiz Sean?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/the-secret-agenda-of-a-facebook-quiz.html?_r=1

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-27/that-facebook-quiz-might-not-be-so-innocent

KH

If FB addition exploits a weakness in human psychology, then those of us that don't bother with it must be the only ones without psychological problems? Seems about right to me!

Not really, it's just our psychological problems are not as easy to monetize.

Not really, why do you think The Register allows up/down voting comments?

Anonymous Coward

Don't break your arm

patting yourself on the back. This guy wants to apologize in the middle of taking credit for a supposedly humanity-transforming enterprise. Too much of a "I'm so sorry how shrewd I was" kind of statement for me. Hopefully, FB will be the AOL of this generation, which means the final "unfriending" will take place in 15 years or so.

Anonymous Coward

Remember, if it is free, then you are the product

Not just Facebook. Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin etc.

Gentle reminder that Facebook Inc had also made several acquisitions along the way, one noteworthy example would be Whatsapp.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: Sir Pratchett worked out a solution

Doesn't always work. Some people used Helium to get high. They still had kids.

Bronze badge

Re: Sir Pratchett worked out a solution

They were probably nimble.

Anonymous Coward

I'm so pleased...

..(or maybe smug) that I never signed up.

Anon - because you don't need to know who I am.

<philosophical>What's it like to have that amount of money?<philosophical>

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm so pleased...

oops - sloppy coding....where's that '/'?

Silver badge

Re: sloppy coding

<philosophical>

If a tag is only a parody of html, does it need closing?

Silver badge

"If a tag is only a parody of html, does it need closing?"

Only if there's a parody of someone listening to it.

>If a tag is only a parody of html, does it need closing?

...not to engage the mind in subject-object duality is the bodhisattva's practice

Silver badge
Thumb Up

If not joining is a test

I PASSED!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: If not joining is a test

"I PASSED!"

Congrats! [/me also NOT in "that club"]

I always figured, WHY BOTHER with face-barf when I can set up a free web site someplace else, without ads, and without them tracking me...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017