back to article Pixel-style display woes on your shiny new X? Perfectly normal, says Apple

Is the technology press operating double standards when it comes holding Apple to account? Owners of the £999 iPhone X are reporting issues with the OLED display similar to those experienced by Pixel owners. Only this time Apple is brazening it out. While Google promised fixes and software patches, Apple says you're going to …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly they are looking at it wrong.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Couldn't be over-priced crap hardware... Perish the thought.

1. zbmwzm3

If only ..

If only there was a British smart phone with the reliability of a Land Rover or a Jag... Oh wait..

2. RyokuMas
      Facepalm

Holding it wrong...

"If you look at an OLED display off-angle..."

They're even bloody admitting to it!

1. zbmwzm3

Re: Holding it wrong...

So you're saying Apple shouldn't buy Samsung OLED tech for the next iphone.. got it!

3. MyffyW Silver badge

I thought the great thing about Apple products was they "just worked"?

I'll be honest I'm more of a £15-a-month sort of a girl. The thick end of a grand on a mobile telephone was always going to be a hard sell to this cynic.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Tom 7

Far too overreaching in their expectations.

Sheep only need to be able to discriminate between green (edible) and black (already eaten).

5. el kabong

Apple did their part they tried their best with that phone, is it that hard for you to do your part? Just pretend there's no burn-in, m'kay?

6. Sandtitz Silver badge
  2. JimmyPage Silver badge
    WTF?

'image persistence' or 'burn-in'

In other news, my new Ford will have a choke lever and need to be run-in for the first 1000km ?

Mind you given the length of time it takes my "Smart" TV to actually be ready to use, the old warming-up time of valve TVs was an improvement.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Coat

Re: 'image persistence' or 'burn-in'

I'll take your manual choke and raise you an odd lever to cut off the diesel supply to stop the engine.

When are we getting an 'ancient git' icon?

1. Aladdin Sane
        Windows

I thought this was the ancient git?---->

2. Ejit

Oh yes.... and a foot operated button on the floor to dip the head lights.

1. IsJustabloke
          Thumb Up

"Oh yes.... and a foot operated button on the floor to dip the head lights."

I have an old Alfa Romeo Berlina.. it has a foot switch to operate both the Headlight dipping and the windscreen washer , some times it's like doing a tap dance while steering through bends and changing gears

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I thought the button on the floor was the starter button. The key just turns on and off the spark coil. At least it was that way on the first fork lift I tried to start.

3. Martin
          Thumb Up

...a foot operated button on the floor to dip the head lights.

I actually thought that was a brilliant idea, and I'd love to see it "reinvented"...

1. AndrueC Silver badge
            Happy

Manual chokes did have one advantage. The first bit of travel only adjusted the idle speed so in slow moving traffic I found I could use the choke to give my right foot a rest.

But the day my Metro's cable failed and would no longer lock in position wasn't fun. I had to negotiate rush hour traffic and keep holding the choke out when I came to a stop. And as I remember it was to the right and below the steering wheel so I had to stay kind of hunched over.

Ah that Metro. It's other memorable moment was when I was caught in a traffic jam on the M6 in the outside lane on a hot summer's day. I watched in horror as the temperature gauge began to climb. Fearing the embarrassment of an expired car in lane 3 I turned the heater on full blast and opened the windows. Still the gauge climbed. As it approached the red line I closed my eyes..and there was a sudden whoooooosh from under the bonnet as the fan kicked in and the gauge dropped straight back down to normal.

Oh how I laughed. Hysterical relief I think :)

2. Adam 1

> ...a foot operated button on the floor to dip the head lights.

> I actually thought that was a brilliant idea, and I'd love to see it "reinvented"...

Sadly we are going the other direction. My car goes all nanny state on you if your high beams are on and it thinks some street light in the distance could be another car.

4. handleoclast

@Ejit

I'm old enough (just) to remember my parents having a car with a foot-operated headlight dip switch.

But if you want to bring in old tech, how about the spark advance/retard lever? :)

3. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

I'll take your manual choke and raise you an odd lever to cut off the diesel supply to stop the engine.

Carburetor? We thought having one of those was posh. We made do with adjusting our own fuel/air mixture as we drove along.

1. a pressbutton

bah

you had it soft we used to have to gargle petrol and then spit to get the right feul/air mix

... young people...

1. lglethal Silver badge
            Trollface

Gargle and Spit? Luxury!

We had to drink the Petrol and then fart it out in the right air/fuel mix or our dad would thrash us!

2. mosw

@ AndrueC: "Carburetor? We thought having one of those was posh. We made do with adjusting our own fuel/air mixture as we drove along."

Fuel? Luxury! In my day we had to push our car to and from work. Up hill. Both ways!

1. 404

Piffle!

Our Stanley Steamer needed wood or coal to run, but we only had Buffalo Pies... they were free...

4. tiggity Silver badge

Manual choke, oh the joys (not)

Hand wound windows

Those indicator "flags" on metal poles

.. jumpers for goalposts

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
          Windows

Re: Those indicator "flags" on metal poles

"Trafficators"

2. BebopWeBop
          Windows

@tiggety

Out Moris minor still has them!

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Those indicator "flags" on metal poles

Trafficators. Am I officially an old git?

5. fishman

"I'll take your manual choke and raise you an odd lever to cut off the diesel supply to stop the engine."

Lever? I've just got a pull cable to cut off the diesel fuel. Sounds fancy.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I'll take your manual choke and raise you an odd lever to cut off the diesel supply to stop the engine."

I actually liked Diesels where you could loosen the drive belt, take the battery away, disconnect the alternator, replace the alternator with a new one and reconnect the battery all with the motor still running.

Bukh FTW.

2. }{amis}{
      Happy

My Landy still has a hole for the crank handle do i win (Though you would need to be an ape to turn over a 2l diesel)

1. GBE

Re: Ahem

"Though you would need to be an ape to turn over a 2l diesel"

Sorry to break it to you, but you _are_ an ape -- you're just a particularly weak one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Though you would need to be an ape to turn over a 2l diesel

The hand-cranked diesels I remember had a lever to open a valve so there was no compression, you cranked to get the flywheel spinning and then closed the valve. At that point it hopefully burst into life, belching black smoke as it burnt off the overfuelling.

3. 45RPM Silver badge

My car has a choke. And a foot operating main beam switch. It doesn’t have fog lights, hazard lights or an intermittent wash wipe. But, on the other hand, it has got half a million miles on the clock - a number that, I suspect, most modern cars will struggle to reach before succumbing to terminal bit-rot. Not all old technology is bad. Some of it is very good indeed.

1. 404

Re: 'most modern cars will struggle to reach'

Well, I'm driving an 08 GMC Canyon with the 2.9l four-banger @228k miles... but I take care of her with synthetic fluids - had her since there was 77 miles on the odometer...

1. 45RPM Silver badge

@404 Nevertheless, I’m prepared to bet good money that, in ten years time, what remains of your car will be a 4’x4’x4’ cube. 228 thousand miles is half way there and, sad to say, I don’t think it’ll be the (repairable) oily bits that let you down. It’ll be all the electronics for the ECU, gearbox, cruise control, safety systems, navigation and so forth. I sincerely hope that I’m wrong - it’s good to read that there are still people who look after their stuff carefully but (shakes head in despair)

We live in a disposable world now.

1. 404

Actually, already planned on plumbing a Chevy 350 with a 5 speed trans in there with a carb and ripping out most of the electronics when the 2.9l dies. Nag doesn't have electric windows or navigation, don't use cruise control (vacuum cruise control is available if wanted). Airbag and antilocks (hate the bastards anyway) may be challenging.

I do want to see 500k miles on this engine - this was my first (and last) brand new vehicle purchase. You're not kidding though, I get looks sometimes at the tire place when they find out how long I've had it - I'm the exception evidently, not the rule.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
              Windows

My first car (actually my Mum's) had dashpots. I have no idea what they did, but every couple of weeks it was my job to check the oil level and topup.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

had dashpots. I have no idea what they did

IIRC they damped the movement of the needle in the carburetter jet, to allow smoother acceleration/deceleration.

2. ibmalone

There was an entertaining Radio 4 programme on recently concerning self driving cars, in which several pundits enthused about how cars increasingly have features you find on your phone and would become more like phones. I found myself wondering whether that meant after two years you could expect the manufacturer to stop providing updates, after which it would gradually go slower and slower while the fuel tank shrank and occasionally a passing billboard would hack it.

2. Boo Radley

I have an eight year old Lincoln, made in the USA, which has nearly a half million miles on it. And everything still works as new.

4. Scroticus Canis
      Happy

Re: "warming-up time of valve TVs was an improvement"

Do you still miss the little white dot when you switched it off?

1. 45RPM Silver badge

Let alone the dot, I miss the squiggle.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Let alone the dot, I miss the squiggle.

And the Closedown.

3. ukgnome
    Trollface

Rose Tinted?

How long until the iGlasses are released to help correct the display?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Rose Tinted?

Maybe they'll go directly to iSurgery....

4. lglethal Silver badge

The Ghost of Jobs is alive and well

"You're looking at it wrong..."

Edit: D'oh, just saw AC beat me to it... Oh well it's still a good joke! :)

5. AMBxx Silver badge
    Boffin

Problem for OLED

My Lumia 1020 was the first OLED phone I ever used. Great display, used for 3 years and no sign of any problems. Is it just higher resolutions, or has something changed?

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Problem for OLED

My guess would be it is high resolution problem. I have AMOLED screen on an MP3 player (remember those?) which is now more than 6 years old, it looked great in most conditions (direct sunlight aside).

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like