back to article Toyota picks Renesas SoC to power its first self-driving cars

Toyota has selected the embedded systems maker Renesas to supply the ARM-powered systems-on-a-chip to power autonomous vehicles scheduled for commercial launch in the year 2020. Renesas says its R-Car platform, the most recent third iteration of which employs either ARM Cortex A-57, A-53 or R-7 CPU cores, will be in charge of …

1. ciaran
    WTF?

Cameras or Lidar?

So, ARM chips inside? Don't care. What I want to know is what sensor technologies are going to be used!

Waymo is using Lidar, accurate but impossibly expensive. Lidar is great for close-up obstacle avoidance but gets even more expensive if you want 1-second notice of an obstacle when you're doing 130KM/h.

Tesla is using cameras, which are cheaper and should be similar but better to human eyesight. Tesla add a normal radar, but I'm not sure if they know what to use it for.

ARM has reference platforms for handling video feeds in an automotive environment, I don't know if anyone has picked it up.

More details please.

1. annodomini2 Bronze badge

Re: Cameras or Lidar?

For full autonomous all 3 probably

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Renesas in a car from Japan! Never

Oh this is such big news. Its not like we don't already have Renesas processors all over Japanese cars already.

I'd have been more shocked to hear they were going for something else!

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

"Chipzilla's keen on any market that consumes silicon,"

True.

It's the massive loss of profit margin they can't deal with.

I'm not sure what hurts them (or makes them afraid) the most.

Realizing their hardware architecture is nothing special outside of the PC/Windows space or how low margins are when people actually have a choice and can dump your chips.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019