back to article Japan finds long, deep tunnel on the Moon

Japan's lunar orbiter has found a long, deep tunnel under the Moon's surface. The find is significant because Earth's Moon is a nasty place: surface temperatures vary wildly, there's radiation galore to contend with and Luna's lack of an atmosphere means the surface is subject to micrometeorite bombardments. Plans to colonise …

Silver badge
Alien

The hole truth

"JAXA says it's spotted lots of caves on the moon. "

And El Reg mentions only an amusing fictional space slug in reference to them? I believe there's an entire cottage industry devoted to the belief in secret underground installations on the Moon. Won't they have something to say about this startling information? (in all-caps of course)

Re: The hole truth

Well those WW2 bombers & other fliers had to be parked somewhere away from prying eyes....

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/583080/Plane-shaped-UFO-found-on-Moon-in-50-year-old-Soviet-lunar-mission-pictures

Silver badge

It's Space 1999, just 18 years late.

Silver badge

No, they are on the other side, See the Iron Sky (film),

Silver badge
Happy

Clanger holes

Much larger than I thought.

Thumb Up

Re: Clanger holes And there I was about to ask if...........

............they had detected the soup dragon.

Re: Clanger holes And there I was about to ask if...........

So, what flavour was the Soup Dragon's Soup?

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Clanger holes

"Much larger than I thought."

That also implies

"Clangers... Much larger than I thought."

Now, that's a scary thought.

Anonymous Coward

Bora! Bora! Bora!

[sorry]

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Bora! Bora! Bora!

So that's where all the VW's are going...

Anonymous Coward

Doesn't Mr Spoon already have a base?

Bronze badge

All your bases are bilong to us.

Button Moon used to freak me out.

And don't get me started on Pipkins.

https://youtu.be/8fvTxv46ano

Silver badge

A long deep tunnel on the moon? Those would be the intestines, surely? Next they’ll be telling us about moons around uranus. Fnarr Farr.

Anonymous Coward

The chances....

of anything coming from the moon are a million to one, they said....

Anonymous Coward

That picture

I know what it is, but at first glance it looks like something rather different. My first thought was that it was a sculpted and tinted tribute to the dog's eggs of Paris, perhaps some memento that the local vendors offer to tourists to remind them of the long slippery, pongy walk up Champs de Chienpoo to admire the Arc du Merde.

Gold badge

Re: That picture

I thought it was a chocolate cake that had been taken out of the oven too early, and deflated.

It's not elongated enough for the doggie do.

I remember walking in Boulogne and noticing they had little signs on the pavement with a picture of a pooing poodle, and an arrow pointing to the gutter. I don't think the dogs could read the signs, and the owner's didn't care.

I remember the BBC Brussels correspondent complaining, when I lived there, about someone walking their mutt and just letting it poo on his doorstep. Not even bothering to apologise when he walked through his own front door. I loved living there, but you had to watch where you stepped in some places. And little old ladies would go round the supermarket with their tiny dogs in the shopping baskets with their food. The ones you were expected to use when they'd finished with them...

Silver badge

It's not elongated enough for the doggie do.

Surely that depends on the dog and the diet? I've seen some that looked as though they were the product of a woolly mammoth.

Who here is old enough to remember white dog poo? There's sommat yer don't see these days. Kids o'today they derent knerr their born.......

Silver badge
Devil

"And little old ladies would go round the supermarket with their tiny dogs in the shopping baskets with their food. The ones you were expected to use when they'd finished with them..."

That's much the same as social dependency scum parents standing their nasty little sprogs in the shopping trolley (sometimes complete with bike with goodness knows what on the tyres) here in the uk.

Happens all over the country, all classes and races - the supermarkets don't give a flying turd about it.

Silver badge

the supermarkets don't give a flying turd about it.

Why would they? Trolleys get left out in the car park and birds crap on them, about which they can do nothing, some food packets leak juices that have a very high chance of carrying pathogenic bacteria. And I suspect the dirtiest area of a shopping trolley is the handle. There have been a number of studies in the US and UK, both of which tend to indicate that discount store trolleys carry more bacteria and superstore or upmarket supermarket trolleys and baskets, I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that (in my experience, kids in trolleys is far more common in superstores than Aldi or Lidl). The re-use of shopping bags adds another compounding influence that tends to harbour bacteria and dirt, but that's not the store's responsibility.

So when the trolleys get sh1tted up anyway, why would a supermarket pick an argument with somebody who is about to give them money? At one end of the spectrum the staff risk threats or actual violence from the sloping-forehead element of society, and at the other the customers will take offence and shop elsewhere.

Oven? I thought the chocolate cakes came from Marks & Spencer!

Bronze badge

Just supposing everyone goes through with it...

We cough up trillions, they go up there panel out the hole, maybe put a few sofas in.

But what are they going to _do_ up there?

Boffin

Re: But what are they going to _do_ up there?

Science!

Bronze badge

Building Very Large Things is much, much easier when there's not much gravity, you know. And if they built a Space Station - that would be very useful for things like space dry docks.. building the first space-only ship would be a tremendous advantage when doing the whole Mars thing.

If there are enough mineable materials on the Moon to help with the building, so much the better.

And besides.. who wouldn't want to stay in a Moon Hotel for a few nights?

Silver badge

@Kaltern - who wouldn't want to stay in a Moon Hotel for a few nights?

Me. I'll watch on interestedly, but I'd rather stay on Earth. So please can we all try not to mess it up too much.

Bronze badge

> "Building Very Large Things is much, much easier when..."

Generally it's easier when you have air and people. So much would have to be shipped to the moon that you might as well build in orbit where you have even less gravity.

Silver badge
Happy

I could imagine pogo-dancing to some classic punk music would be a very different experience at lunar gravity

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Just supposing everyone goes through with it...

What do you do on the Moon? Low gravity rumpy-pumpy perhaps?

Anonymous Coward

Survive the inevitable apocalypse, of course.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Just supposing everyone goes through with it...(Obligitory)

Go swimming

DJV

This apparently:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mother-Moon-Bob-Goddard/dp/0956351816

Not really. Most metallurgy works much better when there is no oxygen to bolix things up.

As for the people bit, how much of today's heavy industrial manufacturing is automated?

Then there is the bonus of making clean/sterile areas very very easy.

Wafer fabrication in low gravity and hard vacuum.

Popping a few square kilometers of solar panels in orbit with microwave down-links is far more practical for power generation.

I can also see building a lunar linear particle accelerator to refined bulk lunar materials into base elements.

Fly: https://www.baen.com/Chapters/0743498747/0743498747___2.htm

Gold badge
Go

it's a 50*kilometre* tunnel.

And it's under 10s of metres of rock.

So a) Living room should not be a problem and b) Radiation protection should be more than adequate away from the entrance (which I'm guessing could be quite big as well).

Anonymous Coward

Of course it's got holes in it, it's made out of cheese.

Anonymous Coward

bivvy bag moonbase

50 km long but how wide? POW camp wide?

Get those boffins from the uranus team.They know everything.

Bronze badge

Not near the poles

Any lunar base will likely want to be located in a region near the poles that gets constant sunlight. Without that you have to cope with nights that are 14 (Earth) days long. That's a long time to go without solar power. You'd need vast amounts of batteries. (Or a nuclear reactor, but that probably won't happen for political reasons.) The weeks of darkness are followed by weeks of sunlight, leading to extremes of temperature that are a pain for engineering. Finding lava tubes, although good science, won't be useful to early lunar bases unless they are in a good location.

Silver badge

a 50-km long intact lava tube

No no no, it's clearly an underground rail system. Probably a speculative build, like the metropolitan line in the old days. Build the line, then build houses to sell to commuters. 'Bovis Homes in the Marius Hills, on the shores of Oceanus Procellarum'. I'm already tempted, and that's without reading estate agent blurb. As long as there's a good primary school and a Waitrose.

Gold badge
Happy

Re: a 50-km long intact lava tube

This is the bloody Moon. You'll have an Aldi, and like it!

Just thank your lucky stars it's not a Kwik Save...

Silver badge

"No no no, it's clearly an underground rail system."

Who do we know who owns a Boring company, has a fleet of spaceships and wants to build a Hyperloop?

How long before people at one end of the tunnel declare war on people at the other end of the tunnel. Better make that two good primary schools. An Aldi at one end and a Kwik Save at the other should be enough to get hostilities underway.

The future of mankind, back to living in caves.

I thought Trump Vs North Korea would have been the reason.

Silver badge

Aside from the invidious comparison of one man against an entire country, the whole "cave man" idea is not an apt description of our ancestors. Mostly they lived in temporary huts and the like. However, the few who lived in caves get all the credit, due to preservation of artifacts and bones from weathering plus the creation of convenient archaeological deposits from cave collapses.

Silver badge

caves

Net Al Queda are in there already, just waiting.

Silver badge
Windows

I was going to go all Asimov on this, but the title is Caves of Steel. Although if you read it through from end to end, at some point R. Daneel ends up hiding in a cave on the moon waiting......

So they found the way in

http://www.baen.com/empire-from-the-ashes.html

Shame there's no Atmosphere

This would make a really spiffing didgeridoo.

Silver badge
Holmes

It changes things slightly

For the last decade or so it looked like the first human to walk on the moon would be Chinese, now it's clearly a race between them and the Japanese.

We live in interesting times as truths protective layers become uncovered, one by one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017