back to article Is that a bulge in your pocket or... do you have an iPhone 8+? Apple's batteries look swell

Apple has said it is looking into claims that the batteries in its new iPhone 8 Plus phones are swelling and cracking their cases. A number of fans from across the world have reported problems with their shiny handsets, with some posting images on Twitter. The first reported swelling came from a Taiwanese owner who posted …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Pop, pop, pop, pop

...but no need for popcorn. Androidistas, get a chair, and a beer, no snack will be required.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Pop, pop, pop, pop

The Samsungistas might have some sympathy.... I am willing to share my popcorn with everyone else..

1. Updraft102

I'm a nothing-ista when it comes to smartphones. I get my schadenfreude from both sides.

2. macjules

The OS is bloated out of all recognition, too much to expect that the hardware wasn't as well I suppose.

2. Paul

I feel so sorry for Apple.

Or do I?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Me too, having Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow as parents must be awful.

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Wrong Swelling

Given the views of iThing owners about their iThing perhaps they are mistaken about what is swelling?

1. VinceH

Re: Wrong Swelling

"Given the views of iThing owners about their iThing"

I was reminded in person of just how silly they can be earlier this week.

In an office, iThing owner asks me for the WiFi key, so I input it into his iThing for him. It claimed to have a good signal strength (and we were only about 10-15 feet from the router through some very thin walls), but it failed to connect. I tried again, being more careful when inputting... same problem, then a third time.

At this point I grabbed my own phone to check if everything was as it should be - mine was connected no problem. I suggested he go out into the hallway and just tell it to connect again and see what happens - and after a couple of attempts it connected.

He then commented on my phone, suggesting I should get an iPhone because of how good they are.

Er... yeah. No thanks.

(Note: I've no idea which model it was - one of the larger ones, certainly, but beyond that, pass.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yawn... funny we have that same thing in my workplace but its a Samsung that wont connect to wifi easily - and drops calls due to signal falloff if the user stupid like move during a call - Both phones are on the same network...

1. VinceH
          Facepalm

"Yawn... funny we have that same thing in my workplace but its a Samsung that wont connect to wifi easily"

Congratulations, AC! You win today's prize for missing the point by such a huge margin.

The point wasn't "Oh look, iThings have trouble connecting!"

The point was "Oh, look, an iThing owner proceeded to tell me how good iThings are, immediately after having a problem with his iThing in front of me."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As a very long time Windows Phone/Mobile and Android and Symbian user I bought my first iThing SE recently out of curiosity more than anything. It’s turning out to have better signal reception, better call quality, better battery life than any smartphone I’ve owned since my Nokia Symbian around 2010.

The only annoying thing is daft things in the OS such as a no back button and pressing a physical key hard twice to pull up the task manager in order to shut down apps....but miles better than faffing around with Symbian on that Nokia!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

iOS does not have a task manager. That is a recently run apps list. They may or may not be running. You do not need to shut down apps.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"They may or may not be running. You do not need to shut down apps."

Not being able to is not the same as not needing to.

1. Nifty Silver badge

On my ancient IOS 9 iPad, Safari will hang on any demanding webpage unless I double tap The Home button and swipe BBC iPlayer Radio app up off the screen to close it. If closing apps this way has no effect, can anyone explain why I need to do this?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Who said it had no effect? If an app in that list is running, then swiping it away will kill it. The app may or may not be running though. It is not a task manager and should never be considered a way to close an app. Killing a app that has hung is one correct usage, the other is opening an app you have recently used.

2. Alumoi Silver badge

They may or may not be running. You do not need to shut down apps.

WTF? Now Apple is telling me what apps I am allowed to shut down and not? With Android I can hold the back key (sign) for a couple of seconds and the app is killed, no questions asked.

1. jelabarre59

With Android I can hold the back key (sign) for a couple of seconds and the app is killed, no questions asked.

Maybe on yours, but not on any of mine.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just using empirical evidence in a company that has hundreds of access points and thousands of users/devices I do find the most problems with Apple devices connecting to WiFi. This is both Macbooks, iPhones and iPads. Not noticed any newer models have too many issues yet but there does seem to be some strange thing with Apple devices that they can sometimes be troublesome unless you use an Airport.

The other thing that I find a real pain with them, create an e-mail connection to an Exchange server. The iPhone asks for the basic information then tries to connect. If it can't you just get a message telling you, basically, something went wrong. But What? Can't it tell you that it could connect to the server but couldn't log in or that it could log in but couldn't get access to the folders etc. I shouldn't have to go to the server to troubleshoot why it can't connect.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Boffin

FYI - regarding battery swelling...

it's caused by the buildup of H2 gas inside the LiPo battery casing which is typically a somewhat soft material. There are a couple of things that can cause it:

1. mechanical damage, particularly during assembly

2. serious undervoltage with excess current being drawn over a long period of time.

The 1st is a production issue, fixable by swapping out the battery. The 2nd is a design issue, NOT fixable without re-doing the circuit board.

You can mitigate '2' by keeping your unused phone on the charger all of the time.

The reason it happens has to do with the chemistry of an LiPo battery. If you discharge it too much, the polymer breaks down and releases hydrogen.

LiPo batteries can self-discharge, so don't expect a charge to last more than a couple of month because of that. Additionally, if there is undervolt protection circuitry in the phone, it will draw a small amount of curent regardless of the state of the internal protection switch.

I recently designed such a circuit for a system where the entire circuit board + battery is potted in plastic, meaning you can't change the battery [it's waterproof though]. the batteries were having swelling problems. This was generically solved by an EXTREMELY low current battery undervolt cutout circuit, which draws only 10 microamps [or so] in the 'cutoff' state. It leverages a few other things to limit the current and the number of components.

/me takes a bow for the miraculous electronics engineering, a truly 'clever' hack, heh.

In the mean time, you STILL get trickle discharging of the LiPo, but you also get self-discharging. 10 microamps is about what a typical self-discharge is, and you can generally leave a LiPo on a shelf and let it self-discharge and not have it swell up like a pillow, even it it reaches zero volts. [it may still happen but from what I can tell, it's much much less frequent].

On the other hand, if you draw as little as 100 microamps from one of the smaller batteries [it may be more for a larger one], they tend to swell up like pillows once discharged down to 0V, and will do so within a month of being discharged, more often than not. So you can't just set it on a shelf unless your undervolt protection totally cuts off the battery [or gets trickle current down to about 10 microamps].

I've got on battery I've fully discharged at the ~10 microamp rate, and then re-charged, a few times. It's lasted for MONTHS this way, no apparent ill effects. It's as flat as a pancake, like it's supposed to be.

So I'd say Apple's problem is PROBABLY on the circuit board, and retro-fixing that is basically impossible, unless they can wire in an undervolt circuit between the battery and the circuit board somehow. Good luck fitting it in the case. I bet it's really *tight* in there.

/me withholds a comment involving a cherry

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DaLo

Do I win £5?

No, because you didn't use proper formatting to create a link in your comment (e.g.https://static5.arrow.com/.../lt1389_0699_mag_fig.1.jpg), therefore your link did not work.

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Thumb Up

It's a feature

No more melting glue or attacking tamper-resistant screws. The phone opens itself when it needs a new battery.

1. Steve Evans

Re: It's a feature

No more melting glue or attacking tamper-resistant screws. The phone opens itself when it needs a new battery.

Has anyone checked to see if they've applied for a patent on that?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

People keep saying Apple copies others. Is this what they mean?

6. Pompous Git Silver badge

Jesus phones

Self-disassembly does not a Jesus phone make. When they start reassembling themselves, or turning water into wine on the other hand...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Jesus phones

It reassembles after 3 days.

1. Scroticus Canis
        Angel

Re: Jesus phones - It reassembles after 3 days.

Ah, does it then ascend into the clouds?

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Joke

@AC

It reassembles after 3 days

Unlike the Son of God, whose 2nd coming is yet to be, the iPhone has revisited it's followers many times

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The phones aren't miraculous: more on the level of turning wine into water. Their marketing department on the other hand...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Their marketing department on the other hand"

I think I can work out what they turn wine into after they drink it.

2. dcbcherrygate

Shouldn't that read turning whine into whatever

3. Montreal Sean

Re: water into wine...

The phone does that already.

Get someone's iPhone wet and see how much they whine!

7. LeahroyNake

User swap battery

If the user could swap out the battery the 'recall' would be a lot cheaper.

Give it a week. .. and some PR... undocumented feature. If your phone needs a new battery it will expose the device for easy disassembly. You can pick up a new one at your local Apple store for £#randomLargeValue.

1. Updraft102

Re: User swap battery

"If your phone needs a new battery it will expose the device for easy disassembly."

That should raise its score on iFixit.com... Apple iThings are getting easier to take apart. All you have to do is plug it in to charge, or sometimes just open the box. That sounds even easier than removing a bunch of small screws!

2. Wade Burchette

If I had my way, every device with a battery would be required to provide instructions on how the user can change the battery themselves. This would require, of course, every device to have a battery that can be swapped. This rule would apply to phones, laptops, tablets, everything.

And if I also had my way, every phone must have a headphone jack. And while I have a wishlist, I would require every phone, tablet, and laptop to use an industry standard charger. A USB-C for phones/tablets and other low power devices and something universal for laptops.

1. Muscleguy

I perhaps hesitate to state this but the EU has the common charging cable thing sorted. Hence the cable for the latest phones.

2. Nifty Silver badge

How unfair to the manufacturers! They'll have to think of other ways of making their products obsolete ready for the new shiny.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's not the battery, it's the ego chip which by design swells up in relation to the excitement of the owner.

Think of this as a massive Technoboner brought about by over excitement, there is a fix and that is to imagine you're shopping in Primark/Walmart and you receive a phone call only to find you own a windows phone and your ringtone is a popular song that everyone knows.

9. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Obligatory

"Cupertino idiot-tax operation..."

Grow. the. fuck. up.

1. macjules

Re: Obligatory

You are Tim Cook's HMRC personal taxation officer and I claim my £1 billion refund.

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

How someone with a silver goddamned badge asks this site to "grow up"? haven't you been around the place long enough to see the authors here won't ever grow up, and that is the whole joke?

--EDIT--

Just read the "smug" comment by the same commentard a bit down the line.. it seems some people can't handle hearing blasphemous accusations against the Holy iShnny and no amount of badges can change that.

1. hplasm
        Paris Hilton

Have some sympathy - he's worried that his IPho is not quite as svelte and slender as when they first met...

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

”Have some sympathy - he's worried that his IPho is not quite as svelte and slender as when they first met...“

I had an BYOD iPhone SE. Loved it. Company issued me with a 6S and made it mandatory (device standardisation). Svelte or not, I hate that thing. The SE in my view is a beautiful piece of design (my view), the 6-8 series are just lazy design.

So I couldn’t really care less about svelte. I do care about good design, and if my phones a bit chubbier than the rest but well designed, i’m a happy individual.

1. hplasm
            Facepalm

"So I couldn’t really care less about svelte."

Nor the whoosh! sound of the expanding battery, it seems.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Nope, couldn’t care less.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

On a related note, can’t believe the number of frenzied fuckdroids on this forum; panic-downvoting anything that might be remotely supportive of the fruity arch enemy. Well, enjoy your data slurping insecure adcarriers while you can, until all your data is belong to the Googleship and you can’t move without being spammed to death.

In the meantime I’ll keep using my reliable, secure, functional and fast 6S until Apple stops supporting it in 2021 or so, at which time I’ll sell it for $n*10 (where n is the value of the spec-equivalent Android), and buy a new one.

So downvote all you like bitchezzz, you might bleat here but you know it’s true.

2. sprograms

Yeah, well him and me both.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Ok time for some facts of life. I have a passionate dislike of imbalance and unfairness - towards anybody, and anything. Yes that includes corporations. My opinion of Apple is generally positive (through both positive personal experience and through the devices my company manages), but I am very aware they are not perfect - and will recognise when this is so; as you can see if you read through my comment history. The WiFi/Bluetooth control Center buttons not actually turning the radios on and off is a good example of Apple ballsing up, as is the iPhone 6/6s/7/8 ‘what’s the fucking difference’ debacle. I am deeply disappointed in them here.

That said, I hate ‘Cupertino Idiot-Tax’ comments - it’s offensive to Apple owners (the Company couldn’t give a shit), and it’s also wrong, lazy and overused. As I went into in a previous post. This is my personal commitment to El Reg, every time one of their authors uses it I’ll ask them nicely in the comments to grow the fuck up.

Secondly - anybody that accuses Apple of having a smugness monopoly obviously hasn’t seen the Samsung commercials or launch events - which are just as bad.

Don’t want smug? Don’t buy a flagship phone from one of the big boys. They’re all as bad as each other.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like