back to article Cloud washes Dell off perch atop storage market

Sales of purpose-built backup appliances have dropped markedly, with year-on-year dips of 16.2 per cent by revenue and 14.9 per cent by capacity, according to analyst firm IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Purpose-Built Backup Appliance Tracker for 2017's second quarter. IDC's research manager for storage systems Liz Conner said: "The …

Silver badge
Coat

Explain the Cloud

How is a backup that some third party at a data centre you've never seen, at an unknown location by a company doing this because it profitable actually a backup?

Where is the audit of vendor claims. What actually is the Cloud vendor claiming?

I think a lot of companies have given up on disaster planning and recovery. People are going to lose their data.

Anonymous Coward

"At least it can dismiss HPE's ascent to top spot as having been bought rather than grown: this is the first quarter in which IDC's added Nimble Storage to HPE's numbers."

What because Dell didn't buy EMC ?

"But none of the big enterprise array vendors achieved year-on-year growth."

"2Q17/2Q16 Revenue Growth - NetApp - 16.70%"

OK, NetApp is none.

Anonymous Coward

All change

That old Cisco / Netapp rumor again and now Pure actively shopping themselves ?

http://www.barrons.com/articles/cisco-will-acquire-netapp-pure-is-shopping-itself-says-summit-redstone-1505846112

Did anyone tell Rubrik about this?

and Cohesity? Because they don't seem to be having any difficulty selling their boxes.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Did anyone tell Rubrik about this?

startup companies - land an expand strategy. Small installed base, therefore easy to growth.

Anonymous Coward

pretty sure a lot of these numbers are a bit misleading, as far as Dell EMC goes...EMC's fiscal year end got shifted because of the acquisition, moving Dec to Jan, and a big reason why some sales numbers are missing. I have a hunch 9 months from now you're going to see an equally misleading sharp increase in Dell EMC market share.

Anonymous Coward

This data in this report is clearly flawed - seemingly illogical massive swings in both directions by multiple players large and small. There is no plausible logic behind these numbers

I agree the Dell EMC numbers are going to be off. Even if you just take what happened when Oracle bought Sun, customers took a wait and see approach. I'm not buying EMC or Dell until I know how this all washes out. Also think of all those vested stock holding EMC people that checked out to.

Umm, NetApp had major YoY growth

....But none of the big enterprise array vendors achieved year-on-year growth.

Except the chart just below this paragraph shows NetApp hitting almost 17% YoY growth, when every other vendor shrank.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018