back to article IBM packs 120TB into a carry-on bag, for snow-balling cloud uploads

IBM has decided to join AWS and Google in the appliances-to-haul-data-into-the-cloud market, by launching an appliance called “IBM Cloud Mass Data Migration”. Readers familiar with AWS' Snowball or the Google Transfer Appliance already know what this box is all about: there's 120TB of disk inside, a couple of Ethernet ports, …

1. Bronek Kozicki

I do not think Aspera would be able to transfer the initial snapshot "really fast". This technology seems to be only only sending incremental changes, based on real-time (or near) monitoring for local changes. When adding any off-site data storage service (does not have to be cloud - replication to newly added second datacentre is possible example) then the initial snapshot could take a long time, and sending it in a "hard format" instead makes sense.

1. benxg

When I last used Aspera (some time ago admittedly) it speeded up the file transfers by things like using UDP and multiple streams, kind of like bittorrent for business. It works: with fast enough readers/writers at either end, it could saturate the link inbetween (where perhaps an FTP or equiv would see a very spiky use of the link). But it couldn't go faster than the underlying link capacity (e.g. there was no compression-type technology when I used it last).

A quick fag packet calc suggests 1TB could be transferred in 15 mins over a 10Gb link, if you could get 95% usage out of it; and 25TB in about 6 hours. Pretty reasonable! And faster than the 120TB bag of disk (especially considering you have to also transfer 120TB into and out of the bag, which would probably be the same sort of time as above I suppose). So if you have (or can afford!) a 10Gb link and use it with Aspera, that would probably be the fastest way.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

The return...

Of 'sneakernet'...

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: The return...

Never underestimate the bandwidth...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I reckon if I walked all the way to my ISP's office in Sheffield with one of these on my back, it'd beat the ADSL bandwidth I'm getting by a factor of 100.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The latency sucks when you're trying to play Counter-Strike though.

2. vir

The new method is MicroSD cards and homing pigeons.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most cloudy vendors now offer this

Amazon, Google, Oracle, IBM

But the problem is not creating a flight case with some disks and ethernet ports...The trouble starts when you try and get this into a DC and connected to a rack (probably managed by a 3rd party who is losing the business and still has an SLA to meet).

In almost EVERY case I have seen it is quicker to just take the hit and move it over the network

4. Big_Boomer Silver badge

USB?

In 15 years time that will be a USB6 key the size of your little fingernail.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Re: USB?

And it'll still be impossible to put in the right way up

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: USB?

I was going to point out that USB-C connectors can go in either way up, but by the time we get to USB 6 I'm sure some company or other will have invented their own propitiatory connector which is a pain to use.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, Aspera at the high end of its performance range is eye watering expensive to the point where it is just not viable. Although it takes 60 hours to tansfer over the net how long does it take to load up the CMDM transport it and dump into their Cloud? 60 hours could be relatively short ( if you can afford it or use one of the alternative WAN Acceleration products)

6. Lord_Beavis
    Black Helicopters

Ah, the cloud

It's just someone elses server.

No thank you.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Pirate

New phishing rod

I wonder if you can send boxes like these to a company's datacenter with good enough social engineering that they return it to you filled with customer data using your AES-256 key.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon