back to article El Reg is hiring an intern. Apply now before it closes

Are you pondering a career in technology journalism? We've got good news for you in that case – El Reg is hiring an intern to work on our London newsdesk. Our official advertisement, as approved by the finest minds in Vulture Central, is as follows... The Register, one of Europe’s largest tech publications, is hiring an …

Silver badge

Is there any chance that the successful applicant could proofread an article or two, as part of their duties?

Anonymous Coward

successful applicant could proofread and decode a man from mars 1 post.

Silver badge

Cruel and unusual punishment, that!

Silver badge

What , if you can decode a man from mars you can handle any task El reg tosses out you. Could be worse. The interim could be forced to moderate post. Think Eadon

Silver badge

If you can decode amanfromMars 1's posts you have a golden ticket for a job at GCHQ, NSA, or any security company you care to name. Decryption at that level is a skill highly in demand!

Anonymous Coward

I've been told those are encrypted messages for mossad agents.

Anonymous Coward

PosthumOUROUS atTEMPS to reALign purposeful non-dualistic statements that question meanings, AC. Edit/CUT/PASTE derails direction and censors rEaL thoughts.

Silver badge

the chance to read BOFH before we publish it

Sign me up now!

Silver badge
Coat

Re: the chance to read BOFH before we publish it

Oh, does that mean we might actually get another BOFH story this side of Christmas? </snark>

Silver badge

Re: the chance to read BOFH before we publish it

yeah but can to make decent coffee? how is your punkawalla skills in the summer? what is you attitude to being blamed for absolutely everything? can you take all th cold sales calls and fob them off?

Anonymous Coward

cheese and biscuits

Just so we are clear is this what you mean?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03216/cheese-and-biscuit_3216951b.jpg

Gold badge
Happy

Re: cheese and biscuits

Why are they offering beer, if they're also offering cheese and biccies?

Surely the correct drink with those is port.

Unless they aren't using "the odd pint" in the normal colloquial sense, but actually mean "pint of port". In which case, I highly approve! This should be made a new Reg Standard immediately!

Silver badge

The odd pint

So that will be Old Peculier then,

Dam it if I was 30 years younger I'd still be to old for this.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The odd pint

Dam it if I was 30 years younger I'd still be to old for this.

Apply, and if you're not offered it, sue for discrimination on the grounds of age.

The Spectator magazine ran a "blind recruitment" exercise for their recent internship which resulted in a 47 year-old mother of three getting the position who when interviewed on Radio 4 sounded like a pretty damn good recruit (and as a bonus, the Spectator got plenty of free, positive, publicity). Any chance of you guys doing something similar? Or are you just looking for a young 'un, and damn the Equality Act 2010? ;-)

Silver badge

It probably counts as cruelty to subject an enthusiastic PFY to the cynical, curmudgeonly gloom of Register Towers. It might even be worth joining Facebook to see the pictures before and after...

Anonymous Coward

> The Spectator magazine ran a "blind recruitment" exercise for their recent internship

We're not recruiting interns yet but when we do it will actually be blind recruiting. Our online form does not even ask your name and encourages you to use a disposable email address. I insist that we do not need or want to know anything that is irrelevant to the job itself, plus it really simplifies data protection compliance since we have no idea who you are anyway. :-)

Pint

Is there Fondue?

Anonymous Coward

Is there Fondue?

Very apt. Considering the only ones applying will have to have that respectable bank account of 'Mom and Dad' on hand to aid their credit reference agency status, even just in terms of getting to work on £9.15 an hour, let alone finding somewhere to live.

I'm assuming a Chelsea bedsit isn't included.

So it's more a sleeping bag and El Reg thick fleece, in terms of freebies, to make do this Winter, aka. Theresa May's non-existent heart strings, in terms of style.

A Comp-Sci degree and you're paying £9.15 an hour?

Essential Requirements.

"Chelsea Flower Show" types, rather than "Notting Hill Carnival". (even though they'd probably understand the ramifications of targeted Facial Recognition Cameras used by the MET being pointed at them far better, first hand)

Posh accent with a Fondue set at home, preferred.

FFS El Reg, please respect your readers too.

Silver badge

Re: Is there Fondue?

"A Comp-Sci degree and you're paying £9.15 an hour?"

They did also say an English degree would do, so as long as they're offering more than McDonald's they're probably ahead of the competition.

Silver badge

""A Comp-Sci degree and you're paying £9.15 an hour?"

Yes, it's an internship, typically used by the inexperienced to gain real world working experience in an industry before moving into better paid employment later.

Long gone are the days where a degree automatically got you a well paid job... Proven industry experience is way more valuable.

They're offering some £9.15 an hour more than most of the media competition.....

Anonymous Coward

"A Comp-Sci degree and you're paying £9.15 an hour?"

Given how crap most Comp-Sci graduates are nowadays, £9.15 is around £6 too much.

Silver badge

No fondue, but you do get to study journalism under Alistair Dabbs. Well, "get coffee and lunch".

Anonymous Coward

Duties will also involve calming down Kieren McCarthy when he gets triggered.

Silver badge

K. McCarthy goes ballistic. Intern's skills atrocious!

Happy

De-clunkify

Thank you, this has embiggened my list of cromulent neologisms.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: De-clunkify

Well done, you've got the job!

Anonymous Coward

I've made a few tweaks to the copy so the intended audience will understand

Yo bae intern!

Yo! Whatsup!

Yo! Here at El Reg, a sick site in black and white for the kidz!

We be hiring!

Yo! Bring it down! We be hiring a sick intern. She be man, or he be woman. Or it be trans-gendah!

Bish bosh don't worry about the dosh...

You'll get paid, enough to get laid

Enough for tha drugz - but don't be a mug.

(But not enough for an iPhone X. Only Kieren can afford one of those - rich parents, trust fund, you know...)

You be good with the words, literally you'll be typing in shit,

It'll be like long tweets and instagram, LOL.

You be good with the numbers - LOL - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - capitalism is a modern day whore!

You be sick with technology; go argos! Y'know what I'm saying...?

And you be making the brew'

Brew dog, bring a log, watch the bog, bang the frog.

(Mine's two sugars and just a touch of Daylesford Organic semi-skimmed milk. Kieren drinks a wet chai infusion with two drops of organic goats essence.)

You gotz to have the sick humour. So no Jimmy Saville but lots of Victoria Wood!

Be 4 Clinton not 4 Trump. Be 4 Cook and be 4 Jobs.

An B2B duz not mean Bed 2 Bed! We ain't no shagging air BnB shit, you gotzzz ta know what it means. And html tags! Yo bold, italian, <blink>182!</blink> and the rest of the hot tag mess.

Get down bae intern <3.

Get down! :-)

GET DOWN! ;-(

Oooooow! \o/

The internship will start in October. After all the festivals finish, and mum's cleared the mud of your wellies.

Peace and rollin'

And for God's sake polish your shoes, and wear a tie. And don't bring your parents. Jesus.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I've made a few tweaks to the copy so the intended audience will understand

Americans.....

Yo?

Silver badge

All I can glean from that is I'm definitely not the intended audience.

Silver badge

" <blink>182!</blink>"

A Blink 182 reference? Blink 182!? lol, wtf, are they still alive?

Stop trying to talk like a teenager, grandpa. It's hella embarrassing.

Silver badge

"Stop trying to talk like a teenager, grandpa. It's hella embarrassing"

Yeah, you should prolly stop too.

m-k

Re: "Stop trying to talk like a teenager, grandpa. It's hella embarrassing"

methinks "embarrassing" is way too (2) long for the current gen(eration). Don't they just say "oh, FO!"?

Anonymous Coward

Is that you, Andrew O?

Law

But will there be hella noms, lots of dranks and the best beats?

Silver badge

If I were 30yrs younger

I'd probably apply in a shot.

But you don't want an old codger with a lifelong interest in technology and in recent years, renewables and has the temerity to drive a mostly electric car now do you?

But you don't want someone who does not suffer fools gladly (Government and opposition Mouthpieces especially)

But you don't want someone who isn't afraid to express an opinion especially after a pint or three.

So you don't want me.

Anyway, I'm off for a ride on the bike (pedal powered) and a pint of Harveys (Lewes) Best at lunchtime.

Yours

Grumpy old man.

Silver badge

Re: If I were 30yrs younger

But surely if you have sufficient experience and skills, you could just apply for a real job with them?

Silver badge

Re: you could just apply for a real job with them?

I have worked almost continuiously since '69. 3 years off for Eng BSc and 1 year with the big 'C'.

So at the 'Beatles age' (64) I have hung up my coding sheet and debugger because no one really wants an old codger who speaks the truth and will be gone in a year (if the job does not go to India before then like my last one did).

Would you hire me?

I thought not.

and no, even though McD's is building a new obesity outlet almost at the end of my street, I won't even go there let alone want to work there.

Anonymous Coward

"[...] no one really wants an old codger who speaks the truth and will be gone in a year [...]"

You don't have to retire at 65 now - unless you want to have the IT fun without PHBs breathing down your neck wanting a quick bodge. Being your own boss without any paying customers is a nice way to spend your dotage.

Silver badge
Go

"I thought not."

It might be worth giving it a shot. For one, I would be interested to read tech articles written by an old curmudgeon like yourself. "Old is new again" etc, that might be not only entertaining but also enlightening.

Go for it, and who knows?

Silver badge

"1 year with the big 'C'."

Chlamydia?

Silver badge

A Blink 182 reference

i miss you

too.

Re: If I were 30yrs younger

@ Steve Davies 3

Well with an attitude like that.... Don't just assume man! If you want the damn role then apply. Living up to the ageist stereotype of being a miserable old git is not going to help anyone.

Silver badge
Headmaster

"access to our watercooler (when there's water in it)"

So does that mean you don't get access to the watercooler if there is no water? Is this just a workplace policy, or is there a physical access control in place?

"... our ingenious sub-editors will de-clunkify your prose..."

Silver badge
Windows

So does that mean you don't get access to the watercooler if there is no water? Is this just a workplace policy, or is there a physical access control in place?

It's a bait-and-switch and the intern will not initially be given access to the water cooler. Everyone knows that the water coolers at El Reg are only for vodka.

Silver badge

the access means it is your job to ensure it has water in it.thats also why you have access to the petty cash, to make sure people have coffee and beer.

Trollface

"our ingenious sub-editors will de-clunkify your prose"

lol - missed that glaring error for a kick-off ;)

Silver badge

Let me make a prediction...

... An attractive girl get the 'job'.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017