back to article A LANnister always pays his subnets: Cisco hires Game of Thrones' Tyrion

Tech firms hiring famous folks to push their products are depressingly common – who can forget Lady Gaga promoting cables for Monster at CES? Now Cisco is going to hook onto the popularity of Game of Thrones to push its new grand plan. The hugely talented actor Peter Dinklage, who has spent the past seven years enthralling …

1. beep54

Well, that was odd, and a bit interesting.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I watched the video but I couldn't work out the scale, he seemed very far away in some shots*

*Yes I know it's not big and it's not clever.

Listening to the audio he seemed to be using a language I didn't understand, it came through as something that was supposed to have meaning or be insightful but all I heard was clichés.

3. O RLY

I am a fan of Mr Dinklage's work, but the much of the copy sounds like it belongs as examples in the Ig-Nobel-prize winning paper "On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit".

Found here

http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.html

or

http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.pdf

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I am a fan of Mr Dinklage's work" including Pixels?

1. DropBear
        Facepalm

"including Pixels?"

Hey now, he's in illustrious company - who do you think played... wait for it... "Poop" in the "Emoji movie"...? Well...? You'll never guess - Mr. "make it so" himself...

4. Excellentsword

Prefer his faux English accent. And no, I couldn't watch to the end. Boring.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Yes, this was pretty standard "We're a big company doing deep, truly important things" high-concept messaging.

But I don't blame Peter. He needs to keep income coming in after GoT closes up shop next year.

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

How networks can protect themselves

Put the executable bits in read-only memory and don't use Intel or Microsoft anywhere on your network.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rusty armor, that

"...selling networks armored with AI".

Oh that's rich. Just this week we turned SMBv1 off as the glaring security risk it is. We had to turn it right back on because Cisco's management software for our phone system and web filtering appliance REQUIRE SMB1. Disabling it broke our phone system and killed our internet access. Cisco has no plans to update and fix it. There's also a problem with weak encryption keys that requires us to use a less-secure web browser for management, another FUBAR that's been ignored for years.

So hearing claims about anything "armored" from Cisco I cackle with glee.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: Rusty armor, that

That's pretty crap, although a Cisco Catalyst 5000 nearly set fire to our datacentre many years ago.

I was working for a small ISP, and there was that moment in the office, when everyone started looking around, to see if anyone else was having issues, and everyone was. No shares visible, nothing responding to pings, ... oh dear. So we scooted downstairs to the machine room, through the ops office, into the DC, and,.... it was very quiet, apart from an alarm pinging on the UPS control panel in the far corner. Two whole rows of racks were powered down. it got a little less quiet with expletives for a few seconds. So, we reset the UPS which hadn't kicked in, odd,... then switched everything off, so we could start a phased power up rack by rack. We started with the comms cab on the end of the row first of course, and as soon as the 5000 powered up, the fan in the good PSU blew out the rancid stench of burned plastic. We had our culprit, we pulled out the failed PSU, and it was a horror show, you could see fire damage, little sooty trails from the fan assembly. It had melted down so spectacularly the UPS had freaked out and gone into safe mode to save itself from shorting. Luckily everything came back up OK, but it shook us up a bit, and we made sure the fire suppressant system got serviced after that.

1. Down not across

Re: Rusty armor, that

That's pretty crap, although a Cisco Catalyst 5000 nearly set fire to our datacentre many years ago.

I've seen some RAID boxen behave in that manner. Quite spectacularly so in fact.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like