back to article Ukrainian man, 51, cuffed on suspicion of distributing NotPetya

A middle-aged Ukrainian has been arrested on suspicion of acting as an agent in distributing the infamous NotPetya ransomware. Sergey Neverov, 51, a video blogger and computer enthusiast from Nikopol, was cuffed by Ukrainian police on August 7 (official statement in Ukrainian here). Neverov is accused of posting a video …

Anonymous Coward

It's going to be difficult to convict someone of distributing a ransom ware that employs the clever use of a double negative.

Did you distribute NotPetya?

No.

What about Petya?

No, Not Petya.

Ah, so you did distribute NotPetya?

No.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Who's on first?

Anonymous Coward

You should

Neverov-er to help with criminal activities.

Mine is the one with the book of bad jokes in the pocket...

Bronze badge

Re: You should

Neverov could also be a Russian name. Ting! If my Russian isn't too rusty, it means "Unbeliever". I'm not saying anyting about the story, but sometimes fiction writers can't resist a little play on words. Sometimes also, people get attracted to activities that reflect on their surnames, like they were born to do it.

Anonymous Coward

Re: You should @ Grapebunch

"Sometimes also, people get attracted to activities that reflect on their surnames, like they were born to do it."

So you're either a winemaker, or a manufacturer of haemorrhoid cream?

AC because you'd have fun with my pseud, and thus both anonymous and cowardly.

even if you posted for whatever reason

So it proves that they are doing surveillance after all, and by reading this, "Neverov is not suspected of writing NotPetya nor of being behind the initial ransomware attack that severely disrupted numerous businesses in Ukraine and across the world in late June," it shows that a video can make you cuffed! even if you posted for whatever reason.

Silver badge

Re: even if you posted for whatever reason

"

... it shows that a video can make you cuffed! even if you posted for whatever reason.

"

Of course it can if it amounts to incitement to commit a criminal act. Although it is not too difficult to script the video such that it cannot be proven that the maker had that deliberate intent. e.g. just make it a "warning" video explaining exactly how the bad guys to do such a thing, ostensibly to warn people not to fall for such a trick.

Silver badge

Ukrainian police

At least it was the Ukrainian police, Sergey would be well advised to delete the USA from his list of countries to visit and probably all other countries with extradition arrangements favourable to the US...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017