back to article Toshiba fires off trifecta of SSDs with 30TB range-topping whopper

Toshiba has a three-way SSD news announcement with SATA, and developing SAS and NVMe products, all using 64-layer 3D NAND chips, plus NVMe fabric software claimed to beat open source code. The PM5 Series is a 12Gbit/s SAS SSD with four-port Multilink technology providing close to PCIE speeds. The PM5 starts at 400GB but scales …

Silver badge
Coat

30TB

Of course, if I had won the lottery, I wouldn't worry about the how much, I'd just buy 12.

Of course, since I haven't won the lottery, I might think of getting me a 400GB version. Maybe.

Silver badge

Re: 30TB

At 2.72 GB/sec, you could only write the 30TB drive about 7.5 times per day, so offering it with 5 DWPD isn't much of a stretch!

Re: 30TB

I can't even afford a 64 gb ssd!

Silver badge
Coat

All this talk of Fabrics

I was wondering if they were Cotton, Silk or man made?

Ok, Coat, I'm gone....

Silver badge
Coat

Re: All this talk of Fabrics

If the Fabric connection was made of Silk would that be the "Silk Road"?

Right behind you he says as he grabs his coat...

Silver badge
Coat

Re: All this talk of Fabrics

I don't think I lycra this thread very much...

Grabs coat and joins the back of a long queue to leave

Anonymous Coward

£££££££££££

That is all. Actually, no it's not.

£££££££££££££££££££££ and more £££££££££

Come on, El Reg

The one thing everyone wants to know, even if it's bullshit list prices, is how much this is going to cost. I realise it's easier just rephrasing a press release but please pretend to be actual journalists while doing so.

Re: Come on, El Reg

Our list price on the 15TB 2.5" SSD is around the £39k mark, and the 7.5TB is about £20k, so I expect this 30TB monster would be about £80k list price. Of course, those are list prices, what people actually pay for them is obviously much less, perhaps about 40-50% less usually

Silver badge
Pint

Picture

A pint for Mr Mellor for his excellent choice of picture ->

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017