back to article DevOps, Containers, Continuous Delivery? Tell us your stories

If you’re a tech pro doing something incredible around DevOps, Continuous Delivery or Containers we want to hear all about it. The call for papers for Continuous Lifecycle 2018 is open now, and we really want to hear your real world experiences at the cutting edge of software development, delivery and and deployment. We also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

roll up, roll up

All you snake oil salesmen. Peddle your best magic potions here.

We know it is the best thing since sliced bread but...

What is so special about your brand of snake oil eh?

I'm sure we'd love to know exactly what it is....

2. andy 103
    Stop

I'd like an explanation of wtf it actually is

So all these terms, DevOps, continuous integration, etc are being banded around. Along with names of software packages - Kubernetes, Docker, etc...

The thing which seems to be missing is an explanation of what problem(s) these things are actually solving or addressing.

In many cases they seem to be replacing common sense, or doing "what you should have been doing anyway, and was perfectly possible with other tools".

So, if anyone can actually enlighten us peasants who are still going about our professions without all this stuff, please explain what it is, what it solves, and why you can't do without it.

Then, and only then.... will we be interested in anything else to do with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'd like an explanation of wtf it actually is

The thing which seems to be missing is an explanation of what problem(s) these things are actually solving or addressing.

Sorry, but you are ill and just don't know it or what is wrong with you.

Don't worry, help is at hand. The wonderful, amazing, brilliant Dr DevOps will be along soon with some 1st class snakeoil that cures all illnesses. Don't resist. Dr SnakeOil knows best.

sceptic? Yes. septic more like.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My place is currently implementing DevOps to allow automated deployments. No one will listen to me about we already do have automated deployments in every environment but production (we have to schedule that one but is pretty much automated). The biggest issue is, is we don't have automated testing, but that is too complicated to implement, so we are just going to implement automated deployments...

3. Lysenko

Containers are basically lightweight VMs.

DevOps is an HR/Accountant/PHB inspired strategy to make SysAdmins redundant (-£££!!) and dump their job onto developers (assisted by scripts supplied by consultants).

Continuous delivery (previously known as "beta test in production") comes from the same source but this time aimed at the QA team: it dumps bug detection onto end users. Sewage engineers will recognise the concept: you don't care how bad the contents of the pipe smell, all that matters is keeping the pipeline moving.

A core supporting concept is "MTR" which means "Mean Time to Remediate". This strategy dispenses with obsolete metrics like quality, correctness and reliability instead measuring the time taken to address your continually delivered bugs with your next deployment (of different bugs).

3. K
    Pint

"Tell us your story.."

Sure - Over the past couple years I've worked at 3 companies (all SME's ranging from 200 to 3000 employees) as an IT Manager, all of them swore they practised DevOps and were "investigating containers", none of them successfully delivered it..

I now work for a FTSE 250 company, who practise a loose DevOps (Formerly known as Dev and elements of Infrastructure working closely), they stuck with the traditional "lets just add a few more VM's when we need to scale", and it works f*cking brilliantly.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My DevOps story.

I checked in some code recently, and our build system picked it up, built the code and ran all the tests. Everything passed. Unfortunately no-one wanted to buy our services, so the company ran out of cash, folded and I am out of a job. I am now having to perform 'continuous delivery' for money near Kings Cross rail station, and it's very different to any sort of integration work I've needed to do in past roles, which have normally been IT-based.

A/C, because my wife thinks I'm still in work and she also doesn't know that her brother is now one of my best customers.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.