back to article Sysadmin jeered in staff cafeteria as he climbed ladder to fix PC

The end of the week is nigh and to ease your passage into the next phase of existence – the blessed weekend - El Reg brings you On-Call, our Friday column chronicling readers’ stories of jobs with strange beginnings and sticky endings. This week, meet “Tom” who “back in the halcyon days of Windows for Workgroups” found himself …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

"So he edited its autoexec.bat file"

Okay... so it was his own damn fault...

If you have remote access to the whole machine anyway, there are dozens of other options for leaving a message to the user without causing the machine to stop being able to boot properly !

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: "So he edited its autoexec.bat file"

Indeed there are, but none would have got the wanted reaction. The 'users' would just have grumbled about a silly message and carried on.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

> “I had to find a 20' stepladder, clamber up into the dusty roof, plug in a keyboard and mouse, get the damn thing going and then fix the share security

So why not just edit it back and reboot the machine remotely?

ISTM this guy caused his own humiliation.

1. Tom 38

So why not just edit it back and reboot the machine remotely

From TFA, this is Windows For Workgroups, so one of Windows 3.1{,1}. These versions of windows run over DOS, providing a UI and SMB over NetBIOS for sharing. He had edited the autoexec.bat to display a message on the screen, and a "Press any key to continue". autoexec.bat is run by DOS, and so the (probably keyboard-less) machine was stuck in DOS displaying a message, therefore no SMB.

I think more interesting is that there was a 36" screen combined with a Windows 3.1 machine, so presumably a CRT as a display screen?! Display screens only really took off when we had large flat screens, and then we didn't have Windows 3.11.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

machine was stuck in DOS displaying a message, therefore no SMB.

Depends wherabout in the autoexec the message was. If it wwas right at the end where could quite well have been SMB since the net start command would have already been done..

(Having flashbacks of trying to get the netbeui working *and* retaining sufficient memory to load other stuff - like Win 3.11. loadhigh is not *always* your friend, especially when the network card low-level driver locks the machine up if you stick it into hi-mem)

1. Mr Humbug

> If it wwas right at the end where could quite well have been SMB since the net start command would have already been done.

If my, admittedly hazy, recollection is correct, the net start command woud load the NetBEUI stack and the client software but you didn't get to share stuff (like the root of the C: drive) until Windows for Workgroups had started.

2. jelabarre59

I think more interesting is that there was a 36" screen combined with a Windows 3.1 machine, so presumably a CRT as a display screen?! Display screens only really took off when we had large flat screens, and then we didn't have Windows 3.11.

It was probably *originally* set up with a CRT (or, as they had at a former employer) a big rear-projection TV with a VGA-to-Composite adapter, then eventually newer and newer TVs were attached to the existing PC. Have seen that done too.

2. TheElder

Once upon a time... and possibly sticky

I was stetting up some new items in a machine in a government office. There was a very attractive young woman that normally used the machine. After a little while she was leaning over my shoulder rather closely to watch me working. This became a bit distracting so I took a little break to have a bit of a chat with her.

She informed me that she would soon be returning to school. Really? I asked. What will you be studying? Her reply was "Human anatomy". ♫

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Once upon a time... and possibly sticky

Bomchickawahwah!

1. DropBear
        Trollface

"So, uh, would you care for a coffee later...?"

"Sure you may!"

2. TheElder

I found a nice character to go along with testicular rhythm music. Ѡ

(I guess I must be one...)

Character synonym: Uprightness

3. Montreal Sean

Hopefully she wasn't studying to be a coroner... :p

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

What is this ?

A sysadmin that doesn't know where an IP address is physically located on his own network ?

Tsk, tsk.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

Re: What is this ?

Let it be a lesson in appropriate device naming. something like "canteenscreen01" would've done the trick.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

No , devices are named after their asset tag. Always. There is no other acceptable thing to name a machine. (possibly excluding servers)

You can then keep a database and write all kinds of colourful descriptions of what it is , where it is , who put it there , when they put it there, who owns it , etc etc

1. Peter2 Silver badge

No , devices are named after their asset tag. Always. There is no other acceptable thing to name a machine. (possibly excluding servers)

This. I still have nightmares about the site where the chap in charge named devices after the (normal) user of the machines.

The problem comes in when you pull spare machines off the shelf of spares that are already named identically to things on the network so can't be on the network, yet they need to be on the network in order to get your admin details from a DC to rename the PC or remove it from the domain.

After you've run into little gems like that which result from crap naming practices then you start caring a lot more about just naming things after the asset tag. There is a network visible "computer description" field which you can use to store user or location information if required.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Once upon a time I was working for a firm and they'd refitted a lot of the offices to make them spiffier. The panel aircon was seen as not looking spiffy enough so it was "removed" and a dial was put in the same space for the user. The actual panel was just put up behind the ceiling tiles and the dial controlled the panel, you could make it hot or cold just by turning the dial no worrying about the complicated settings etc. Where there were individual offices in a bank of three or four of them the panels were co-located above the tiles just outside so that access to and disturbance to (the users of) the offices was less likely to be needed in case of a fault. One Monday night after a drinking session in the pub over the road I returned to collect my bag and was asked by the building security if I knew anything about the aircon system. I said I knew a little bit and was asked to go up to the nth floor (the executive level) and see a lady there who was having problems.

I knocked on the office door and a voice said "just a minute please" eventually the door was unlocked and a lady who looked like she'd got dressed in a hurry was standing there. Her hair was ruffled and her top was too on too far one side which looked a little odd. Also as she opened the door a wall of very hot air hit me and it was obvious that she'd stripped off because of the heat. She said that the aircon had failed an hour or so ago and it was obvious that her not massive office with lots of lights was now a sauna. I suggested that she could just have had the door open until I got there but alas she was working on something that meant she couldn't do that. She had been on conference calls to the USA and couldn't risk being overheard. I said if it was that important she could close the door whilst I investigated the fault but first I'd have to get a ladder to reach the tiles. All the panels when I did get up there were showing a fault but easily reset by cycling the power.

Once I reset all of them I checked the one other office that was unlocked and the (cooler) air was flowing normally in there so job done. I knocked on the occupied office and she again asked me to wait, this time for a bit longer than before and I could hear she was involved in a phone call. She looked a bit more relaxed when she finally opened the door and there was much less warm air. She said it was 'much' cooler now and thank you very much for the help. I said the dial should be working now but would she mind if I checked it? That was fine with her so I went in and as she turned to walk back to her desk I noticed that she'd caught her skirt in her knickers and that she had a very nice figure! The dial worked as expected and the panel display was showing the corresponding temperature, job done. The next day I had a delivery of pastries waiting at reception for me from the local bakery as a thank you.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a lady who looked like she'd got dressed in a hurry was standing there."

And you believed her story?

3. /dev/null

I take your point, but giving your PCs essentially random numbers of the form AN548690249032 doesn't seem great either....

4. jcitron

I actually headed up a project once to do such a thing.

I worked for a rather large financial institution. The previous IT support guy had setup the user desktops with their username as the machine name, such as Smith_J, for example. The situation you described is exactly the problem we ran into as machines were recycled in and out of use and storage.

The solution I came up with, and this was nearly 25 years ago now, is exactly that to rename all the machines using their asset tag assigned by the company. These were those metal tags which are epoxied to the case.

As I setup my proposal for this project, I went on to say that monitors didn't matter because they can be switched around without impact, but the PCs needed to be unique. Without the users being involved directly with the machine name, it became somewhat difficult identifying where the users were located.

To resolve this issue, the users too were instructed to tell the helpdesk not only their asset tag number, which was prominently displayed, but also their cube number.

Later on this became more important because users moved around the building on a monthly basis as the company was moving departments around. With the users moving around like this, we would spend way too much time looking for a user with PC X12432s, who we thought was on the 12th floor northwest corner, but now had moved to the 15th floor central.

To locate the users, we had a simple map, which I put together with the cube numbers on it. This became another project in its self because the company decided to re-layout the floor plan about six times in the few years I was with them.

2. Omgwtfbbqtime

You missed out - who's fault it is.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"No , devices are named after their asset tag"

... bought a new laptop for my (I think then) 15 year-old son a couple of years ago and while setting it up got to the page where you can change the name from the defautlt manufacrturer/model combo that windows defautled to. So I asked my son what he wanted his laptop to be called, he replied "what! I can give my laptop a name?" follows by a pause then "I'm going to call it Jeremy" (n.b this was pre-Corbyn!) ... hence our home LAN has a "JeremyTheLaptop" on it!

1. Alan Brown Silver badge
            Coat

"hence our home LAN has a "JeremyTheLaptop" on it!"

Well at least he didn't call it Eric.

Mine's the one with the list in one pocket of machines all named after HHGTTG characters.

(FWIW, several major internet servers at MIT were named after Bloom County characters. Old fogies may remember FTPing or gophering into senator-bedfellow.mit.edu)

1. Glenn Booth

And what's the problem with a PC called Eric, may I ask?

I'm currently on my second Eric, so being Welsh this one is actually called Eric-ap-Eric. I've also owned three Alfie's and a Doris. Alfie and Doris were both Ubuntu boxes.

2. jcitron

Yes that's okay for home use where you might have 5 machines running at once, unless it's a house of geeks like mine, and even then the machines are named after their model and processor. AlienwareLT_6700k, for example.

3. D@v3

Re: JeremyTheLaptop

Tag numbers for work units.

Silly names are perfectly acceptable for home units, as you (should) have fewer to manage and keep track of, hence mine have had such standard names as Quentin and Rupert (over the years).

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

descriptions of what it is , where it is , who put it there , when they put it there, who owns it , etc etc

All of which go out of date about 5 minutes after you walk away from the machine. Or so long and bitter experience tell me..

1. foxyshadis

All of which go out of date about 5 minutes after you walk away from the machine. Or so long and bitter experience tell me..

Learning to let go lessened my stress significantly. Once managed switches became a thing, it was much simpler to just track the MAC through a breadcrumb trail of ARP & mac-address tables until I found the final port, then it usually wasn't much effort to find the PC. (The massive sales office switch being the only exception.)

Finding wireless devices, on the other hand, that's the REAL fun.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

"Finding wireless devices, on the other hand, that's the REAL fun."

Simple:

1: Revoke access

2: follow the scream.

2. Mark 85

Or take a two week vacation and a "temp" employee (either hired in or transferred from another site) I put on site to "help"... for some value of help. They always seemed to want to screw with the database and rename or relocate things.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"All of which go out of date about 5 minutes after you walk away from the machine. Or so long and bitter experience tell me.."

There's plenty of software to keep up with that. GLPI + Fusioninventory is a good (cheap) starting point.

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

"A sysadmin that doesn't know where an IP address is physically located on his own network ?"

1998-2001 I was the site IT manager for a small chemical plant of about 200 users. The cabling was significantly behind the technology curve in that it was Thin Net coax but with an interesting twist - there was a make/break quick connector wall plate in each office which allowed one to connect or disconnect in individual PC without bringing down the whole run. The BAD part of that is the connector stuck out about two inches from the wall and the stiff cable effectively made that distance closer to four inches. Many users took this as a challenge to shove desks, file cabinets, etc as close as they possibly could to the wall and thereby either breaking the connector or the wall plate which inevitably caused the make/break part of the wall jack to fail open. The only good news was that it was fairly easy to identify which run had the problem so troubleshooting was seldom more than a dozen offices/labs/control rooms. Still a PITA, though. After I got transferred back to the corporate office across town, one of my successors was able to finally convince management to pay for a total rewire.

1. Trixr

Similar issue I had in an academic institution in London, which had multiple buildings spread across Bloomsbury. The connector was seemingly the BEST thing to hang an academic's coat on, despite multiple reminders to the office occupant that it was not in fact its purpose.

Traipsing across half of the west end when it was hosing down was not my favourite activity.

3. fobobob

Ejecting the cd-rom drive remotely is a potentially useful option in some environments; also fun to get the user to try to read a non-existent label on their PC before doing so if you know where/who. Also, dumping urandom into /dev/dsp or equivalent on some *nix systems.

2. storner

Since it was in the Windows for Workgroups days, TCP/IP was most likely not used. Just some random address assigned by the NIC and running Netbios, IPX or some other abominable protocol.

Personally, I would have made the PC speaker start screaming at the user with a NSFW vocabulary. Guaranteed results much quicker.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

Presumably this was in the days of hubs rather than switches.

Even if _i_ don't know where a device is located, Netdisco will nail it to X switch Y port and each one of those has the cable plugged into it as the description field.

It only cost 130k to sort the network out, but I'm happy.

5. swm

In the early days at Xerox with thick RG11U foam 3MBit ethernet I, many times, was in the ceiling tracing ethernet cables. I made a TDR device to track down bad transceivers. This would tell the distance from the TDR to the fault.

Once, there was a machine (ALTO) connected to our net that was apparently stolen so the gumshoes went around checking serial numbers of all of the machines. They wouldn't trust anyone so a plump security person, with difficulty, wedged herself behind my machine to read the serial number.

At PARC they once wrote a virus (for experimental purposes) that got loose and they had to break into several locked offices to stamp it out.

This is long before TCP/IP etc as we used the PUP protocols and the leaf/sequin protocols that was similar to the TCP protocol used today.

4. jake Silver badge

So ...

A sysadmin in a company that is large enough to have at least 2 shifts finds an open share on the network, can't figure out who owns the box, nor where it is located, and so IGNORES THE FSCKING THING for three weeks? Some sysadmin.

I'd have immediately brought the place to its knees[0] until the box was located. No potential security headaches on my networks, thank you very much.

[0] And have. Three times. All three were C-level idiots plugging unauthorized portables into the corporate network. All were fired on the spot. It helped that I contributed to the corporate network security bylaws. Now ask me what I think of BYOD ...

1. RavingDaveD

Re: So ...

Goodness, you must be a bundle of laughs to work with, having said that, I hope you work for my Bank!

2. Dave K

You don't really give sysadmins a good name with such a militant and disruptive approach to things. There's better ways of dealing with such issues than bringing the place to its knees and firing people the moment someone plugs in an unauthorised laptop.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

It's just Jake. El Reg's resident bastion of truth, restraint and modesty.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

El Reg's resident bastion of truth, restraint and modesty BOFH.

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
            Trollface

>>El Reg's resident bastion of truth, restraint and modesty BOFH.

Usually Simon's stories are more believable than jake's

1. jake Silver badge

For the record, my job title at the time was Floating Senior Member of the Technical Staff. I wandered from department to department, putting out fires. In this case, I was straightening out broken corporate computing culture in wholly owned subsidiaries of a Fortune 50, reporting directly to The Board. Part of my remit was to shake up Sr. Management at the subsidiaries ... They were dragging their feet over adhering to the new (to them) corporate mandate. When you're an F-50, you don't want unauthorized equipment anywhere near your network, but cowboys (like most of the above commentards, apparently) always think they know better. A high-level firing or two usually makes 'em realize that THEY don't own the network, the corporation does.

I've used the same methodology ever since, when necessary. Seems to pay the bills quite nicely now that I've struck out on my own.

As for interpersonal relations within the company ... back before I decided to become a contractor, I was the guy who started Homebrew clubs in several companies, and I was one of the people who helped introduce Cricket to Silly Con Valley ... I'm a happy go-lucky guy, for the most part. Just don't fuck with the equipment that I have been charged with safekeeping. You'll lose.

And no, I'm not a "BOFH". Do any of you lot even know what an Operator is? An operator is the flunky who swaps out tapes during late night backup runs. An operator keeps the admins in coffee and the printers in paper and ink. An operator counts supplies in the stock room. Most operators are interns these days. If you're a machinist, an operator deburs and degreases parts. Operators are rarely given jobs more important than remembering "one lump or two". The whole concept of an operator having admin access to corporate equipment is laughable.

1. jcitron

Re: So ... I suppose you never worked in computer operations.

@jake

"And no, I'm not a "BOFH". Do any of you lot even know what an Operator is? An operator is the flunky who swaps out tapes during late night backup runs. An operator keeps the admins in coffee and the printers in paper and ink. An operator counts supplies in the stock room. Most operators are interns these days. If you're a machinist, an operator deburs and degreases parts. Operators are rarely given jobs more important than remembering "one lump or two". The whole concept of an operator having admin access to corporate equipment is laughable."

I suppose by this statement you never worked as a computer operator. There's a lot more to this than you think. Admin rights is also necessary for many tasks which would be impossible to perform otherwise.

From 1988 to 1994, I was a computer operator for two organizations. My responsibilities went well and far beyond taking inventory, and mounting tapes, and sorting the printed reports, though this was part of the job.

In the first company, I was responsible for backing up 3 VAX 11/780s, 1 VAX 8350, 2 VAX 11/750s, and 2 Sun OS systems. The 3 VAX 11/780s and the 8350 ran VMS while the two engineering lab 11/750s ran Ultrix. The two early Sun systems ran of course their Sun OS with one actually being an Interleaf publishing system and the other for R&D and CAD.

On the VMS clustered machines, I submitted batch jobs, monitored the processes, and ensured all jobs completed successfully because there were dependencies of each job, which meant if one failed, then another would not complete.

In addition to the daily operations, I had what we referred to as additional projects. These projects included repairing printers, monitors, and video terminals. This in part was due to my skills as a hardware technician initially, and having come from the company that made the video terminals originally. I went through a closet full of dead equipment and with an oscilloscope, DVM, and some schematics, I was able to repair everything but two terminals which were totally fried inside due to a lightning strike on the building.

Other projects included replacing network equipment, running cables as needed, and even rewiring the punch panel. The previous operators were careless and had wires stretch haphazardly across the panel. My job was to carefully reroute these and re-punch them down.

When I wasn't monitoring the VAX batch jobs, I was also assisting the R&D department with their own proprietary Convergent Technologies workstations. These systems had an array of plug-in modules, which also needed swapping out, replacing, and repair. I did not have schematics for these, but was able to Frankenstein a few out of the scrap units.

The various printers not only needed their paper and ribbons, but sometimes the print heads needed replacing, or sometimes other parts. Two of these printers were those huge DEC LP27 band printers which would jam up, and require parts to be replaced. This usually occurred on weekends of course and the weekend operator would page me to come in and help repair one of these beasts.

Other projects came up from time to time including writing queries and building reports in Datatrieve32 and writing the batch jobs to submit these to the queue.

So why would we need admin rights?

Well we would need to do system shutdowns, cancel submitted jobs, add users to the systems, perform standalone backups and so many other tasks, which would be impossible without having admin rights.

Like all jobs these rights were given to us with the understanding of the implementations and consequences of things going wrong. Did we ever have a rogue employee? No. Never on my watch after I was promoted to lead operator.

In my final operator's position before I was promoted to helpdesk support, I ran a MicroVAX 4000 along with a massive cluster of Novell servers, and a remote IBM mainframe.

Our job description in this company involved daily backups of course, adding and removing users from the Novell server as required, clean up files, reboot and shutting down servers, workstations, and running batch jobs. All of this and a lot more, which I'm now forgetting with time since it's been 20 or more years since I was there.

In this job we were proficient in VMS, IBM MVS/TSO, SNA network printing, and Novell administrator roles. (I know I can hear you laugh because of the kinds of systems, but remember this was late 80s and early 90s).

The MVS/TSO system ran special batch jobs which required editing of the batch files prior to submission, and adding and deleting users. Being the MVS/TSO environment, the formatting had to be 100% accurate, otherwise, the job would fail. No extra spaces, nothing out of alignment. Absolutely perfect.

Since this was a financial institution, there were very specific SLA requirements set forth by regulations. Specific reports, checks, and letters needed to be printed and mailed by specific days. With these strict requirements, we had to maintain a nearly 24/7 363 day online availability. The systems were only taken down, usually during holidays, to perform maintenance and hardware replacement as required. With this availability requirements, we monitored the systems for failures and remained on call at all times. It was our responsibility to report problems to the on-call support person as well as to hardware manufacturers to replace failed equipment such as DEC and at the time Novell.

In addition to running batch jobs and performing backups, we too had special projects or specific areas of responsibility. My so-called pet project was documentation. Our manager developed a documentation server, which was to eventually contain every job that we ran regularly. The template was further refined and shared with the DBAs who needed special jobs run during the day.

Like many projects, this lead to others including report management and printing, and overall through my guidance the department went from an error prone operation to one that had a 99% success rate. The department also became proactive as we became aware of what was needed, and aware of the inter-operations of each and every task and job that was submitted on the systems. In doing this, I earned a company award and a nice little extra sum in my pay.

Again during this time there were no rogue employees and no need to limit our access to the systems. When an employee did leave, whether to move to another company position or changed employment, their user accounts were terminated according to security protocols. This is how all user accounts should be managed.

So yeah, we only make coffee?

1. jake Silver badge

I think you said it best:

"In my final operator's position before I was promoted to helpdesk"

In other words, an operator is lower than helpdesk staff. Enough said.

1. jcitron

The promotion was well beyond just helpdesk actually, though the position was part of the helpdesk support team. I was moved from computer operations to Network Engineering, which involved the much higher echelons of Novell server support, network monitoring, etc.

This was all long before the days of IT and the "network admin" as we know it today. The team that I joined were the ones who were on call that got the reports and pages (yes a pager!) from the computer operations people when a server decided to crap on a hard drive, usually during the 3rd shift in the middle of a snowstorm, for example. We did not look down upon the computer operators and they were treated as part of the team, which they were as they played a critical role in keeping the company on track.

But the main point is computer operators do more than "just change tapes". That is part of the job, like every job including a network administrator being responsible for nightly backups. The responsibilities we had at the time went far beyond that, as I told.

Using proper user-management techniques and administration, accounts can be locked down and managed as needed rather than applying a all-in-one blanket approach, which you do. Why did you do this originally? Was the company that unsecure and being hacked so that the networks needed a lockdown? You didn't really explain this as this could have been a one-off situation which required this due to a high-security issue and legal implications.

Managing users is not difficult. It's one of those things that takes time to do the right way, with some thought and pro-active preplanning in addition to properly set IT policies. An Ad-hoc setup where everyone is given admin rights, has a password of PW12345678 which never expires, is truly bad. (The retired IT guy in me will have nightmares thinking about this latter point!).

Believe me I have been in both environments, and the former is much easier to work with from the get go. The latter is nasty and causes more work for the support staff, as well as opens up the company to legal trouble as well. A small company I worked for had this kind of environment, and after some management changes, I was promoted to a higher position within that company, which allowed me to enforce the "newer" security changes. This involved not only a buy-in from management, but also the users as well. There was some flak from the user-base initially, but after some training and policy enforcement, the understood the implications.

The biggest part of this was the user-training, which is also quite easy to do, but time-consuming, and lacking in a lot of organizations. Just because people "know" how to use a computer,doesn't mean they know how to use a computer in a corporate environment. The wing-it-on-the-fly setup with all having admin-rights, might work for Joe and Mary home-users who like to share photos with each other on their home NAS, but in a larger corporate environment things need to be a bit more secure, as you should know.

But anyway you are right on the BYOD stuff. Scary crap it is especially if the IT policies are not set properly, let alone the support issues which I mentioned on another post. This goes right along with that new Internet of Things (IoT), which allows remote control and access to all kinds of hardware.

2. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

"In my final operator's position before I was promoted to helpdesk"

In other words, an operator is lower than helpdesk staff. Enough said.

I wouldn't trust you to manage the water cooler, let alone anything critical.

If you have not learned by now to value people for what they do rather than the position they have in an organisation, you would not be able to pick up danger signs well before they become the catastrophes they tend to be the harbingers of. I have done audits in very high end companies and UHNW environments, and the best intel comes from exactly the people you so casually discard (which, of course, gets anonymised before the board sees it), not to mention that people who have worked their way up are FAR more aware of the context in which they work and are represent important repositories of institutionalised knowledge.

A company is not a flat layer of people that do things, it's an organism where the best delivery occurs when all cells are happy to work together. The attitude you display is toxic.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like