back to article Got some pom-poms handy? UK.gov seeks a geography cheerleader

Whitehall is looking for a geography aficionado to emphasise the role the discipline plays in the UK government's work. The newly created position of head of geography will be one of a network of experts across the civil service and sit in the government science and engineering (GSE) section. The person will be an "ambassador …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Sponsored by Pokemon Go?

2. Len Goddard

Why

Why do I need geography when I have google maps?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why

And when Google Maps are wrong? They are not infallable.

Then just watch some of the embarrasing moments on TV game shows when (sorry to be sexist but the facts are there for all to see) most Female contestants are totally clueless about UK Geography (just where somewhere is in the country). This applies to even very intelligent women eg Lisa on Eggheads.

It frankly embarrases me that my own daughter has virtually no spatial awareness and her mother and I really tried hard to teach her. My wife and I met while out Orienteering.

3. Pen-y-gors

Experts?

one of a network of experts across the civil service

I thought official government policy was to ignore experts and rely on unskilled, ignorant and bigoted amateurs?

Although I suppose there's nothing stopping them appointing a new expert and ignoring them in the same way they ignore all people who actually have empirical evidence for their recommendations.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Experts?

"I thought official government policy was to ignore experts and rely on unskilled, ignorant and bigoted amateurs?"

Yes, but if you don't have experts you can't ignore them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Listening to a presentation at a university open day a couple of weeks ago, the guy doing the presenting (who was a historian, very very good presenter and a funny guy) was going through some of the extra stuff the applicants might be required to do. Science and Maths were some entrance tests, arts subjects were some essays. "If they want to do Geography, they'll probably get them to do some colouring in or something".

5. Arthur the cat Silver badge

head of geography

Are leather elbow patches mandatory?

6. Chris G

Valuable lesson

Our geography master at my school was very easy going so his lessons were often a it rowdy. We had a craze, making little blow darts from dressmaking pins and cotton thread, we would fire them at ea h other through biro tubes.

One of my mates fired one at me that stuck in the shoulder of my blazer, I returned fire at Lenny, the sod ducked and the dart stuck in the geography master's earlobe.

That day he was ot so easy going I got a weeks worth of detentions , enough homework to keep me busy for a month and a visit to the Headmaster who failed to believe one word about the darts being part of a science project on ballistics.

The lesson? Don't fire when a teacher is in the line of fire and in range.

He was actually a very good teacher, a nice bloke and an ex Oxford rugby blue, it could have been worse.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I don't know if geographers have changed since the long-ago days when I was a palaeoecologist. If they haven't then the likely outcome will be that they'll reinvent whatever field they're asked to advise on, inventing new names for everything.

Now I've written that, I wonder if a lot of them go into marketing. Cloud? DevOps?

8. tiggity Silver badge

Not much skill needed

Given how UK gov splashes its cash, the key geography take home message will be quite simple:

Inside the M25 - have loads of money

Outside the M25 - **** off oiks (unless you are a few Orange seats)

1. Not also known as SC

Re: Not much skill needed

Could save some money and buy a copy of London A to Z for inside the M25 and a 1:600,000 scale map for the rest of the UK.

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Couldn't they just ask Caroline Bellamy to do this? Half a day's worth of work per week should be possible to squeeze in, especially as there is bound to be some overlap between the jobs anyway.

10. Alister

UK Gov learns about hills and valleys

Apparently, outside of London, there are places with green stuff on them, which can be high up, or sometimes low down , and sometimes have wet stuff.

A UK Head of Geography position has been created to investigate this phenomenon, and prepare a report on what to do about it.

1. Chris G

Re: UK Gov learns about hills and valleys

' The country?' ' Isn't that where the Minister goes weekends to kill things?'

2. leon clarke

Other things the UK government needs to learn

Which continent the UK is in - there seems to be some confusion on that point.

Some understanding of human geography might help with the reasons why trade deals are incredibly complex.

I suspect the successful applicant will also be expected to tell them where the magic money trees grow.

1. Alister

Re: Other things the UK government needs to learn

Which continent the UK is in - there seems to be some confusion on that point.

Yeah, you do know that the UK isn't in (or on) a continent, don't you?

It is geographically, and soon to be politically, an island.

1. Not also known as SC

I think you'll find that the British Isles are part of the European continental plate. The English Channel is only 45m deep between Dover and Calais with an average depth of 120m. Non-continental oceans are in the thousands of metres deep.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I think you'll find that the British Isles are part of the European continental plate.

Shhh, don't tell the Brexiteers, they'll be wanting us to get down there and chop us off.

2. strum

> you do know that the UK isn't in (or on) a continent, don't you?

We're on the shelf (in more ways than one).

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"It is geographically, and soon to be politically, an island."

Actually, it's more than one island, but you'd need to take your blinkers off to notice that. Worse still, not all the islands are exclusively the UK, but again, don't let this geographical pedantry disturb you.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's so important we have budgeted £0 for the post and are looking for a volunteer / intern.

wonderful

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like