back to article Ten new tech terms I learnt this summer: Do you know them all?

I'll never forget the day I found my children looking at Spam for the first time. My son was particularly perplexed, asking: "Is that what I think it is?" It was my own fault. I had left the tin on the kitchen counter. Even in his tender years, my tech-friendly tweenager was perfectly familiar with spam. But not Spam. He'd …

Page:

1. Chronos
    Thumb Up

T|N>K

How can you discuss policy with a minister whose only means of expression is to scream at you "Eeeeeeeeeeeee-oooooooo buh-doyngg buh-doyngg eeeeee-AAAAAAHHH!" before promptly hanging himself?

Absolute bloody genius. I'm assuming, since he does the gain adjustment bit, that he's a v.92 modem?

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
      Pint

Re: T|N>K

@Chronos.

You, sir, win nerd-of-the-week award.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Fortunately

I drained my cup of tea before reading this. Otherwise, my keyboard would have been in for another barrage of hot Keemun Congou tea ...

yet again

Great Friday read!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"weaved"

Is that the trendy new term for "woven"?

1. Steve the Cynic

Re: "weaved"

"weaved" might also be a mis-grammaticisation of "wove". 'I wove a fabric of lies", rather than "I weaved a fabric of lies". But when it's a past participle, yeah, "woven". "I have woven a fabric of lies". And of course, you can use a past participle as an adjective: "Felt is not a woven fabric." (This happens to be true...)

But there's also the people who say "I have went". That makes my teeth itch.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I have went

I assume that you live in Wiltshire. That seems the standard grammar round these parts.

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
        Trollface

"I have went"

"I have went"

I was sat over there when I read that.

Teeth itching now?

1. dqon

Re: "I have went"

Active or Passive ?

3. earl grey
        Trollface

"But there's also the people who say "I have went"."

Everyone knows it's I done gone.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Everyone knows it's I done gone."

Not in the one-tense Bristollian dialect where "I goes ..." could refer to an action in the past, present or future

4. Blitheringeejit
        Headmaster

@Steve the Cynic

Since it appears to be National Pedantry day...

"There ARE also the people..."

FTFY, albeit with my own teeth afire.

5. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"I have went"

If the pedants will look away long enough for me to say "It's not very irregular.", then I will. (If they won't, then would the rest of you be so good as to skip the rest of this post. Otherwise we'll get logical paradoxes.)

I think "went" is to "wend" what "spent" is to "spend" and so "I have went" is about as irregular as "I have spent" and therefore rather more regular than "I have gone". It should, of course, be "I have goed" but I imagine it is too late to insist on that now.

Quite how the verbs to go and to wend (as in, "wend their merry way back from the pub") ever became entangled remains as mysterious as ever, of course, but most western European languages seem to have one or two stupendously irregular verbs with different persons and tenses taken from different root verbs in older languages. I think it is some kind of competition.

1. Michael Thibault

I was wanting to say exactly that.

6. Captain Badmouth
        Headmaster

"I have went"

There was a young man of Gwent

Whose pr**k was exceedingly bent

To save himself trouble

He stuffed it in double

And instead of coming

He went.

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

That's an example of the constant regularisation of irregular verbs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In my feeling of usage (but don't ask me why):

He wove a pack of lies. He weaved his way through the crowds.

1. m0rt

Did he have one of those new NetWeaving machines that fit in a large pocket? Modern tech is wonderful.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

He wove a pack of lies. He weaved his way through the crowds.

One is (I think), past-perfect (ie a complete past action) and the other is continuous historic.

Hopefully, someone who remembers more about English grammar will be along shortly to tell you all how wrong I was.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"One is (I think), past-perfect (ie a complete past action) and the other is continuous historic.

"

Parce que nous sommes tous francais(es). Или русский.

The application of Latinate grammar to English is something I find irritating. It makes me want to boldly split infinitives, just because I can. And because it's Friday, sacred to Freya, and not vendredi, sacred to Venus.

1. Phil Endecott

> Friday, sacred to Freya

No, Friday is Frig's day.

Frig is the wife of Odin, whose day is Wednesday.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: "weaved" - No, Friday is Frig's day.

I found this

"In a world that knows too many details about unimportant matters, one would think that our collective expertise could be certain about something as essential as the days of the week. There is, however, a scholarly debate regarding which goddess of love in Norse mythology is the namesake of “Friday.” To complicate matters, it may be that Frigg (or Frigga) and Freyja were at one point one goddess, or at least stemmed from the same one. It’s a headache."

3. David Roberts
      Windows

Useage: I weaved it cos i din like it

4. Alistair Dabbs

Bloody hell, did I write that? The shame.

PS: no one likes a smart arse.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Bloody hell, did I write that? "

There was some research a few years ago that said the brain makes a regular conjugation immediately. It takes a little longer for it to be overridden by the correct irregular form. So if the second process gets delayed too much - then we just use the regular form.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

DabbSmithing

"DabbSmithing" : Verb

The art of publically criticising anything that appears worthy of a critic on a Friday. Often appreciated by technophiles, trolls and a variety of other non P-Book readerships.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: DabbSmithing

Dabbsing?

1. psychonaut

Re: DabbSmithing

dibdabbing? although i think that already has an urban dictionary entry which isnt pleasant

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Dabbsing?

how about simply Dabbling? Use of the capital D will allow those of us who understand to grin knowingly at each other whilst the plebs wonder what we are on about.

5. Gasp!

Sublimated Ear and Gaseous Elbow.

Are these not tropical diseases?

1. TheOldGuy

Re: Sublimated Ear and Gaseous Elbow.

I thought they were Prog Rock bands.....

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Hear Alistair Scream At Technology Peeps.

2. Chris G

I'm certain Gaseous Elbow is a German avant garde band. They record and playback cushion smashing and strangled stag beetles.

1. Rosie Davies

I was impressed at the self-restraint that prevented Gaseous Arse not being used instead.

Rosie

I was impressed at the self-restraint that prevented Gaseous Arse not being used instead.

Possibly rejected for being too close to home..

2. Wensleydale Cheese

I misread it as "Gaseous Below"

1. Anonymous Custard
              Trollface

I always thought liquid voice was another synonym for a technicolour yawn or pavement pizza delivery...

3. Captain DaFt

Of course, if one doesn't know their arse from their elbow... ☺

3. Captain Hogwash

I wish they were Prog Rock bands.

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I thought they were Prog Rock bands.....

I don't think so. Although, Liquid Voice would be a fine band name, if only so that you can use the noise of Dabbsy gnashing his teeth as a suitable rhythm section..

1. Mark 85

Although, Liquid Voice would be a fine band name, if only so that you can use the noise of Dabbsy gnashing his teeth as a suitable rhythm section..

You could retro the name to the '50's.... "Liquid and the Voices".

6. Admiral Grace Hopper

Don't dis the innovative

Our future lies in innovative jams and marmalades. It's the way forward.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't dis the innovative

"[...] and marmalades."

What sort of music is that?

Re: Don't dis the innovative

"[...] and marmalades."

What sort of music is that?

It's a mashup between a madrigal and a carronade.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fibre

I still maintain this is the easiest way to distinguish the service for the general public. Granted, lots of us know it's not actually fibre all the way to your house, but at the end of the day the bulk of slow internet connections is caused by the bottleneck at the cabinet, and fibre helps resolve this issue. There are those who suffer being miles from the cabinet but still, keep it simple for average Joe.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Fibre / POTS

Also:

POTS is analogue duplex voice frequency over copper / steel. i.e. DIAL-UP. We've all heard of that.

Broadband from the exchange uses ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+. Lots and lots of people have heard of that.

3G/4G. Internet for mobiles. Everyone has heard of it.

Fibre-to-the-cabinet uses VDSL/VDSL2. No bugger outside the telecomms industry has ever heard of it.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Headmaster

I still think the even older definition of fibre is more appropriate.

After all, given the amount of shit some of these companies produce, they must be consuming enough fibre to fill several breakfast bowls...

Bran flake anyone?

1. Teiwaz

Bran flake anyone?

So that's how BT get broadband - force-feeding of bran flakes then burying said produced 'cable' -

- Explains the shit service....

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Fibre

Just call it by the technology used. People will catch on soon enough (if they even care)

Dial-up -> ADSL -> ADSL2(+) -> VDSL (or FTTC if you must) -> FTTP

Calling something something that it isn't is just going to confuse people in the long run. How many people still think that their desktop background picture is a "screensaver" FFS?!?!?! When FTTP gets widely deployed (currently scheduled for the 57th of Novemruary), they won't know what to call it because some bugger has made people associate fibre optics with this pitiful excuse that's copper from the cabinet.

By the way, even when using dial-up, it was fibre from the exchange so the components haven't changed. Copper/Aluminium from me to someplace over there and glass from there onwards.

1. GregC

How many people still think that their desktop background picture is a "screensaver"

Or that their entire PC is a "hard drive"....

1. really_adf

How many people still think that their desktop background picture is a "screensaver"

Or that their entire PC is a "hard drive"....

...or "the CPU". Although there is at least some obvious logic to that.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like