back to article Death to strap-ons, says Intel, yet thrusts its little AI stick into us all

Intel, having accepted the inevitable, has dropped out of the wearables and fitness band game, and canned the teams working on that strap-on tech. Now it's shifted its attention to the next thing it will presumably quickly lose interest in: a USB stick for running machine-learning workloads. Having read between the lines over …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chasing fads without a strategy

Having failed in smartwatches, I look forward to watching them fail in augmented reality and machine learning next.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Chasing fads without a strategy

Also IoT, Speech bots, retro game consoles?

Why so many 32bit Atoms, never mind 64bit, crippled to 2G RAM?

The 32 bit 1996 Pentium Pro did 4G RAM and also up to 64G using PAE.

2. Andy Mac

Intel did wearables?

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"the armbands were overheating to the point of injuring wearers. "

Intel, manufacturers of the most advanced heating elements on the planet.

As for their latest thing am I the only one who's thinking "solution in search of a problem"

Intel is a fascinating company to watch. SoA chip fabs and laser focused on the x86 ISA.

But

Once you get away from their near monopoly product, and the SoA fabs it funds, it's like a headless chicken with an open wallet. No one seems to have a helicopter view. All tactics, no strategy.

1. Long John Brass
      Mushroom

Re: "the armbands were overheating to the point of injuring wearers. "

Once you get away from their near monopoly product, and the SoA fabs it funds, it's like a headless chicken with an open wallet. No one seems to have a helicopter view. All tactics, no strategy.

Totally untrue; They have a strategy! ... Fling shit at te wall & see what sticks :)

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"Totally untrue; They have a strategy! ... Fling shit at te wall & see what sticks :)"

Perhaps I have absurdly high expectations but, somehow I guess I just expected something a bit sharper from a company with a market value of $160+ Bn.

4. fidodogbreath
    Pint

Kudos for the headline

Could this be the age of Peak Reg?

5. Brian Miller

AI compute stick?

who uses compute sticks for anything serious, or at all? "Here, I need an AI boost for that, I'll just plugin the Intel stick for that."

6. Teiwaz

Missed that trendy earner...

Guess they missed that bandwagon then - wait a little while there'll be two more along maybe they can hastily put together a sample case and chase that one too.

Or maybe think about innovating something unique and useful.

1. Wade Burchette

Re: Missed that trendy earner...

Intel is a behemoth, it won't go down quickly. But there are clear cracks in the foundation. Intel is clearly in panic mode over Ryzen/Epyc. So much so that they have to play mind games. The advantage Intel has there is better marketing marketing and managements tend to be Intel fanboys. But what Ryzen/Epyc is doing is fantastic. AMD is reportedly having very high yields on 8 core Ryzen parts and thanks to Infinity Fabric, AMD can 'glue' (Intel's words) 4 of them together cheaply. For AMD to get a 16 core Epyc/Threadripper, they just need to select two of the many good 8 core parts. For Intel to get a 16 core Xeon, they need to pray to God they get one of the batch since they don't 'glue' together cores. What is more, the Intel's have few advantages in performance now.

The problem is right now, Intel cannot compete on price. AMD can make a ton of profit and still undercut Intel. From the leaks of i9 that I have seen, the more cores there are, the slower the chip. Would you be willing to pay $5000 more for faster AVX-512? Only if you use it everyday. Intel is in panic mode because of the FUD they have been spreading. You can only live off your name for so long. They know AMD has a winner again, and this time the OEM's are fanboys.

7. DavidHolmesUK

10MW for Exascale computing on USB?!

So if 100gigaflops is 1w then...

1 Petaflop is 10kw

1 Exaflop is 10mw

What kind of flops are we talking about here exactly.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like