back to article WD gets court order: Toshiba can't block access to shared database

Western Digital Corp has won a temporary restraining order (TRO) preventing its flash joint-venture partner Toshiba from impeding the shipment of engineering wafers and samples to WD in Milpitas, CA, as well as preventing it from blocking certain Western Dig employees from accessing shared databases. The two parties are in an …

Gulp

16 layer TSV .... that's going to be cheap !

Silver badge

Re: Gulp

While 1 TB in a single package is cool, I'm not sure what the market is for it. That's great for saving space in a phone or tablet, but no one is shipping 1 TB phones or tablets, or is likely to do so in the next few years. I suppose that would be handy for building a 100 TB SAS SSD, but the market for those is tiny.

I guess 8 TB m.2 SSDs could use these - four chips on each side?

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: "the market for those is tiny"

Yeah. No more than 5 computers worldwide surely.

Just this morning I set up a Surface Pro 4 with a 512Gb§ SSD, much of which was promptly requisitioned to store 150Gb worth of dropbox that needed syncing. The future arrives faster than we think.

§ That's an Imperial Gb not the fancy metric Gb

Silver badge

Only 512 GB? So wake me when you set up a Surface or equivalent with a 100 TB SSD. I figure maybe sometime in the 2030s...

Silver badge

If it's miniaturised to SD cards ...

Already people are putting 256 G SD cards in stupidly under-provisioned Win10 x86 convertible tablets.

Sure there is a market in ultrabooks and HD video cameras too.

The silicon vias may be cheaper than wirebonds once yield is up.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: That's an Imperial Gb not the fancy metric Gb

It's nothing to do with Metric and Imperial.

RAM and ROM from the beginning used binary addressing. Thus 10 wires = 1024 addresses. "Proper" k, M, G is 1000, 1000 x 1000 and 1000 x 1000 x 1000. Floppy drives and Hard Drives didn't originally use fixed physical address lines, but cylinders (basically tracks x heads) and sectors per track and then what ever number of bytes fitted into a sector. Floppy disks might even have had a hole to mark each sector, or start of all sectors. Density was thus lower at outer edge. Later they varied the number of sectors upwards as you moved out from hub, but the controller mapped the old system to the real geometry.

So spinning disks count actual number of usable bytes and use multiples of 1000.

RAM and ROM and CPU address line capacity are more naturally counted as multiples of 1024

see Wikipedia Mebibyte a largely ignored attempt to end the confusion.

So nothing to do with Metric and Imperial, but simple convenience for semiconductor addressing.

Re: That's an Imperial Gb not the fancy metric Gb

The bit about why disks use multiples of 1000 is creative revisionism. Until the mid-late 80s disk vendors normally used multiples of 1024 for disk sizes. When disks got into 100s of MBytes, drive manufacturer marketing departments realized they could sell their drives (especially PC drives to nontechnical customers) with bigger numbers using 1000 bytes/KB than 1024. Put simply, why sell it as a 95MBytes drive when you can sell it as a huge 100MByte drive?

There was a bit of "they are lying!!!" complaints in trade press and the old USENET, yet obviously it stuck. But it was all about marketing and money, not convenience or natural counting.

Gold badge
Unhappy

So someone got the through via process pioneered by Hughes into production.

Well done.

Next move. Slice most of the wafer away (and reuse it) to make them about 30x shorter.

My instinct is WDC don't want to pay the price Tosh need for this to get them out of the s**t they got into buying the Westinhouse nuclear construction operation, itself well f**ked by buying what looked like a large construction company but was actually cobbled together by some "entrepreneur" (does this word really come from the same root as "entrap"? It looks like it ought to).

Silver badge
Unhappy

WD had better watch it...

If the plan is to wait till Toshiba tanks then buy the other half of the JV at fire-sale prices, they might get gazumped by, say, Seagate or a Vulture Capitalist house.

Sad that they are prepared to lay waste to a great corporation like Toshiba to save a few shekels.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018