back to article Adult toy retailer slapped down for 'RES-ERECTI*N' ad over Easter

Adult toys and lingerie retailer Honey Birdette was today placed on the naughty step by the UK's egg-xacting watchdog the Advertising Standards Authority for mixing sex and religion in a promotion over Easter. The seller of sex toys including Milano Pleasure Beads and vibrators named Dolly, Dita, Dallas and Bullet Bliss, sent …

Bronze badge
Trollface

Jesus Christ!

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Jesus Christ!

See subj.

Like it ever was?

Silver badge
Coat

Kinda related...

Q. What's Jebus's favourite gun?

A. A nail gun.

Silver badge

When your only tool is a nail gun, every task looks like a messiah.

Silver badge
Devil

"Is nothing sacred anymore?"

nothing. this IS the intarwebs, after all. Rule 34 and all that.

besides, Easter is more a PAGAN spring equinox celebration in most cultures, with the fertility symbols like eggs and rabbits. Back in the middle ages (or something) Passover's proximity to the spring equinox made it convenient to "christianize" the pagan Easter holiday. Sure, there'll be a lot of passover Seders on Good Friday followed by Sunday church services, but those eggs and bunnies are all of Pagan origin.

So maybe the Adult Toy business can just say they're PAGANS, and are celebrating THEIR religious holiday?

Silver badge

They missed a bet by not going with "Easter Teats" to link to their selection of festive nipple clamps.

Silver badge
Happy

Holy dildo, what is all this about ? Oh, I see, it is all written in the believers digest, I see...

Gold badge

Sorry, but your post instantly made me think:

"Holy dildo Batman!"

Bronze badge
Joke

Well, Batman and Robin *did* wear tights...

Silver badge
Joke

Well, Batman and Robin *did* wear tights...

Inspiring Saturday Night Live's "Ambiguously Gay Duo"

Facepalm

So, did they shove the ad next to the beads where the sun don't shine?

Silver badge
Joke

The ads for prayer beads? As in "use these when you don't have a prayer on Saturday night sex"?

Silver badge

2 Wrongs make a right here I think

Its offensive to me that I must treat people who claim to believe in a sky fairy with respect and not ridicule.

its offensive to me that people who work in advertising also claim to have any rights to respect

In this case, mixing the two should actually make a right?

Silver badge

Re: Its offensive that I must treat people who claim to believe in a sky fairy...

.... with respect and not ridicule.

Maybe if your post showed that you'd made any effort to think about this beyond parroting Dawkins et al I'd respect your opinion. But you don't, so I don't. Note I don't need to ridicule you to disagree with your opinion, however ridiculous it may seem to me.

Many of the famous names in science believed in God. They were clear on what science is about and what religion is about and realised that they don't really cross over. A point that the fundamentalist scientists on this board seem to consistently miss.

Bronze badge

Re: Its offensive that I must treat people who claim to believe in a sky fairy...

Riducule is the most charitable response I can think of, to grown-ups with imaginary friends in 2017.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: 2 Wrongs make a right here I think

Maybe you should live in a former colony where religion and government are separated (well, for the most part)

There are certainly no laws preventing advertising sex toys and Easter together here, though quite why one would think that's a good sales tactic is another matter altogether.

Silver badge

Would that be the former colony where we banished the religious fanatics who were too extreme for us? The one where people actually believe the universe is 6,000 years old? Yeah that went really well for you.

Silver badge

Oh dear

It's really not that difficult to respect somebody who holds different views to your own, is it?

Gold badge
Megaphone

Its offensive to me that I must treat people who claim to believe in a sky fairy with respect and not ridicule.

Then you should take a long, hard (fnarr fnarr) look at yourself.

Treating people with respect should be your default position.

You don't have to agree with their views in order to do that. You're even welcome to ridicule those views, though don't be surprised if this doesn't make them happy, or causes them to dislike you.

Hence that quote that you should never discuss religion or politics in polite company.

Maintaining respect for people you disagree with is simply basic politeness. And is something you'd do well to learn. It might increase people's respect for you.

Bronze badge

Re: Oh dear

It's not so much a question of it being difficult, as such; rather, a question of some opinions simply not deserving respect.

Silver badge
Stop

How can you respect someone while ridiculing their views? You can acknowledge their right to have their views, but your don't have to keep on respecting them. Especially when wells are going dry, worms are growing in babies eyes, and the ceiling in the Vatican is made of gold.

> Treating people with respect should be your default position.

> You're even welcome to ridicule those views

Pick one, because you can't have both.

Respect should not be the default position. Tolerance should be the default position. Respect implies approval, tolerance does not. I'll tolerate your right to believe whatever you want, and you can tolerate my right to believe you're mistaken.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Personally I think all religions are a crock of lies however as a decent human bring and assuming the moral high ground I choose to respect people who do wish to have faith in their various deities, even if they choose not to respect my peace and quiet on a Sunday morning by banging on my door and trying to thrust copies of Watchtower in my hand!

Just 2 months ago, being well into my death metal I was out on my drive washing my car in my favourite Decapitated band shirt when a sweet old dear comes wandering up to me.

"May I speak to you about the Lord....oh....erm.....". I point at my shirt and console her with, "I'm sorry love, much as I respect your right to practice your faith I personally have absolutely no interest in religion. I take the Humanist line on such matters.".

"Oh, I see. Thank you very much for your time."

Silver badge

I've never had a home visit from any religious folk #LIVEINTHEUK

Anonymous Coward

"May I speak to you about the Lord....oh....erm....."

Had a visit from the usual grouping composed of two elderly women and an elderly man. Unusually they were apparently only pushing their leaflet through letterboxes. As I was in the hall I opened the door before the man reached it. He half-heartedly proffered the leaflet and said "I don't suppose you want this?" as he turned away. Poor sod.

Silver badge

To return to the main programme

As Aretha once said:

"Sisters are doing it for themselves"

"You make me feel like a natural woman"

"Rock steady"

"Freeway of love"

and not forgetting..... "Respect"

Bronze badge
Happy

"even if they choose not to respect my peace and quiet on a Sunday morning by banging on my door and trying to thrust copies of Watchtower in my hand!"

Next time they come by, answer the door while wearing nothing but grubby underpants. Problem solved!

Silver badge

Many of the famous names in science believeD in God, yes.

Of course science and religion wouldn't cross over if the latter didn't make claims the former could prove false.

Fundamentalist scientist? What's that? Someone who refuses to entertain proposition for which there is no compelling evidence whatsoever?

Anonymous Coward

Also, like at the height of the Cultural Revolution when religion was frowned upon by the state, the Vatican instead in keeping churches open on the premise that even 'two Huangs make a rite'.

/ i'll get my vestment ...

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

"your default position."

*AGH* you almost made me spit my coffee. ok I already ruined the keyboard when I read the article's subtitle on the main page, but still...

heh heh heh

> "Many of the famous names in science believed in God. They were clear on what science is about and what religion is about and realized that they don't really cross over."

Science is about trying to find the most reliable answer a question you can using the available data we have, admitting when you're shown to be wrong and updating that answer.

Religion is about taking the most unreliable path we've ever had to an answer: blind faith that the answer given is correct.

See where they cross over? Answering questions.

See what religion fails to do? Actually answering the question in an honest way.

Anonymous Coward

Re: A good sales tactic

It's about the, er, second, uuhh, coming.

Sorry, too soon?

"Its offensive to me that I must treat people who claim to believe in a sky fairy with respect and not ridicule."

I think you'll find that you're the one that mentioned "sky fairy".

Unless believers are either helping or harming you, you're under no obligation to either respect or ridicule them.

Respect is a basic human right, and should only be withheld for good reason.

That you feel you are allowed to ridicule folk who don't subscribe to your worldview is probably reason enough to allow me to withhold my respect.

But I wouldn't dream of ridiculing you (without checking out all your posts first)

/rant

Silver badge

brainbone:

"Science is about trying to find the most reliable answer a question you can using the available data we have, admitting when you're shown to be wrong and updating that answer."
Not according to Einstein:

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

brainbone:

"Religion is about taking the most unreliable path we've ever had to an answer"
Not really... It's more about attempting to answer questions that science can't answer.

Physicist Paul Davies:

"Scientists are slowly waking up to an inconvenient truth - the universe looks suspiciously like a fix. The issue concerns the very laws of nature themselves."

> "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

You completely misrepresent Eisenstein's position. He's basically just telling you to try adjusting your perspective. To not be afraid of challenging previously established science. To not be blinded by your bias of what you think you know. He's telling you to use the scientific method. He's not telling you to have blind faith in your hypothesis.

> "Not really... [Religion]'s more about attempting to answer questions that science can't answer."

Science has answered many of these questions. Often, the answer is "currently, we just don't know." It's the same answer religion should give you, if it was honest. "I don't know" is a perfectly valid answer. To claim you do know when you don't or can't know, is not a valid answer.

Silver badge

brainbone:

"You completely misrepresent Eisenstein's position."
Actually no, I quoted him. You represent him as having a position different to that quoted. How about Paul Dirac?

"I learned to distrust all physical concepts as the basis for a theory. Instead one should put one's trust in a mathematical scheme, even if the scheme does not appear at first sight to be connected with physics. One should concentrate on getting interesting mathematics."

"This result is too beautiful to be false; it is more important to have beauty in one's equations than to have them fit experiment."

brainbone:

"Science has answered many of these questions."

From The Existence of God (OUP : 2004), P. 53:

"Its degree of simplicity and its scope determine the intrinsic probability of a theory, its probability independent of its relation to any evidence. The simpler a theory, the more probable it is. The simplicity of a theory, in my view, is a matter of it postulating few (logically independent) entities, few properties of entities, few kinds of entities, few kinds of properties, properties more readily observable, few separate laws with few terms relating few variables, the simplest formulation of each law being mathematically simple. … A theory is simpler and so has greater prior probability to the extent to which these criteria are satisfied."

and

"It is crazy to postulate a trillion (causally unconnected) universes to explain the features of one universe, when postulating one entity (God) will do the job."

Have a nice day :-)

"Many of the famous names in science believed in God."

What is that supposed to prove other than the fact that there was no alternative in their societies at the time if they didn't want to be ostracised or even tortured etc.?

And what about all the non-Christian "names" from outside the so called Christian World? Presumably they don't matter because the weren't Christians. Correct?

You give religion a bad name. Thank god!

Silver badge

"What is that supposed to prove other than the fact that there was no alternative in their societies at the time if they didn't want to be ostracised or even tortured etc.?"
What evidence do you have that Lord Kelvin, Wilhelm Röntgen, Pierre Duhem, Guglielmo Marconi, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Max Planck, Arthur Eddington, John Ambrose Fleming, Robert Millikan, Max Born, Arthur Compton, Ronald Fisher, Georges Lemaître, Kathleen Lonsdale, Theodosius Dobzhansky, Werner Heisenberg, Michael Polanyi, Mary Kenneth Keller, Mary Celine Fasenmyer etc were ever tortured, or threatened with ostracism for their science. As well as Nobel Prize winners, there are nuns, priests and theologians in that far from complete list. According to 100 Years of Nobel Prizes a review of Nobel prizes awarded between 1901 and 2000 reveals that 65.4% of Nobel Prize Laureates identified Christianity as their religious preference. Christians have won a total of 72.5% of all the Nobel Prizes in Chemistry, 65.3% in Physics, 62% in Medicine, and 54% in Economics.

I note also that many non-Christian scientists also expressed a belief in God during the 20th C (Einstein for example). Maybe you're claiming they were tortured. I dunno, you don't seem to like providing any support for your assertions.

Silver badge

You don't have to be tortured. Even fifty years ago, telling people you were an atheist might not get you the rack, but it probably would guarantee you didn't get invited to many parties.

Silver badge

"You don't have to be tortured."

I'm truly relieved to hear that DougS. I really wasn't looking forward to it with any great relish ;-)

"Even fifty years ago, telling people you were an atheist might not get you the rack, but it probably would guarantee you didn't get invited to many parties."
Depends on where you're living I imagine. I don't recall anyone in the part of semi-rural Australia I then lived having any great interest what your religious persuasion was. I suspect that would have already been perceived as infra dig. I can only remember one teacher at the high school I was attending having any obvious religious leanings. The chap who lent me the money to attend university (and later returned the money when I repaid him) was a lay preacher and I was firmly atheist in those days. I didn't ask for the loan and was somewhat surprised when he offered it.

I certainly accepted more invitations to parties than I should have; my studies suffered a little and I had to accept placement at one of the lesser institutions.

Re: Oh dear

> "It's really not that difficult to respect somebody who holds different views to your own, is it?"

I treat other people's views and opinions like a penis.

It's all well and good that you have one, and that you're proud of it, but the moment you whip it out, start waving it in my face and telling me how great it is compared to anyone else's, is the moment I stop respecting, and start ridiculing.

Silver badge

I was vocally not a christian 50 years ago, and I got invited to many parties. In fact, the only person who seemed to be distressed by my lack of religious tendencies was MeDearOldMum. She's long since forgiven me, good xtian that she is.

Silver badge

I had to chime in here

"Respect is a basic human right, and should only be withheld for good reason."

What a crock, 99% of decent god fearing secular people don't really care about religion (after all I don't spend all day thinking about the ginger bread man either)

But when pushed, the biggest issue they will talk about is the lack of respect for all other religions by ALL religions.

Next comes the lack of tolerance of all religions for anyone that has any belief that is slightly different from theirs. How many versions of Christianity are there for example? And how many times has this resulted in abuse of one kind or another?

In 2017 the Church is STILL debating whether "the gays" (tm) and the scary women can play in their gang

You guys.....

Put it this way, treat people as you would like to be treated yourselves, and maybe those who don't believe in a god may have some respect for you. In the mean time, you act like children and are viewed as such

> It's more about attempting to answer questions that science can't answer.

Can you name one question religion has answered?

Anonymous Coward

"It is crazy to postulate a trillion (causally unconnected) universes to explain the features of one universe, when postulating one entity (God) will do the job."

1) The universe just exists - always has done.

2) What superior being created the Universe?

3) God created the Universe.

4) What superior being created God?

5) God just exists - always has done.

Apply Occam's Razor.

Statement 5 is the same as statement 1 - but raises more questions about the nature of this omnipotent God to add to those raised by the nature of the Universe.

Therefore statement 1 has less variables - and is more probable to be the correct answer.

Anonymous Coward

" I don't recall anyone in the part of semi-rural Australia I then lived having any great interest what your religious persuasion was."

Even in England 50 years ago it mattered what religious pigeon hole you fitted. Atheism was not an stated option - your birth religion was a given unless you formally adopted another one.

Churches controlled most of the primary and junior schools. Religious observance and church attendance were compulsory for pupils. RCC schools took it has their primary mission.

Even joining the Scouts or Girl Guides required an affirmation of religious belief.

At a theoretically non-denominational state secondary school we had to take part in the daily whole school religious assemblies - which were decreed by law. The only exceptions were for those minority pupils of the significant other religions - who had their own concurrent religious observances.

Who you could marry was generally limited by your respective religions. Mixed religion marriages were often either forbidden - or a source of shame and social stigma for you and any children.

Anyone who got married was expected to have a religious wedding - unless they were proscribed by their birth religion's dogma. A registry office ceremony was regarded as second-class and somewhat shameful for most people. Ditto for not having your baby baptised. Refusing to be confirmed - or refusing to be a religiously observant godfather was again considered a shameful reflection on your character and your family.

Sunday was almost a total close-down of shops, entertainments, or public transport. Even the recreation grounds had their gates locked or their equipment rendered immobile. Blasphemy crimes were still prosecuted.

Fifty years ago in England - the Swinging Sixties was the cusp when religion started to lose its grip on the majority of the population in England. TV no longer had to close for an hour at 6pm so people would go to church. Nor did the evening's broadcasts have to end with a clergyman delivering an Epilogue sermon.

It was still a long time before any official form had a space for "atheist" or "no religion".

> "when postulating one entity (God) will do the job"

And yet you can't really define what this "God" is. Is this god, this thing that can do anything and everything, not a complex entity? How did this complex entity come into existence? How does the postulation of it answer any questions with any degree of honesty?

Every god postulated so far is simply the ejaculate of mental masturbation. Deepity conjectures bolstered by unfalsifiable nonsense.

Silver badge

"99% of decent god fearing secular people don't really care about religion"

god fearing = deeply religious

secular = non-religious

Oh dear, you don't really expect anybody to pay the slightest attention to what you have to say when you commence with a made up statistic and a contradiction do you?

Silver badge

"Can you name one question religion has answered?"
Certainly :-)

What personal, life-orienting core commitments are consistent with my worldview?

A Christian, Muslim or Jew might answer: "To fulfill the will of God, or to obey God and enjoy him forever, or to be devoted to knowing God, or loving God."

Mine (I'm not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew): "To realise my personal potential for experiencing life, and to do as much good as I can for others in a world of social diversity and conflict."

Silver badge

Even joining the Scouts or Girl Guides required an affirmation of religious belief.

Still was ~25 years ago, "On my honour, I promise: to do my duty to God and to the Queen, to help other people, and to keep the Scout's code"

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018