back to article It's July 2017 – and your expensive HoloLens can be pwned over Wi-Fi

Microsoft's HoloLens may only be in the hands of developers, but that hasn't stopped researchers from finding major security holes in the augmented reality headset. Critical fixes for HoloLens were among the 57 CVE-listed flaws Redmond had to address in this month's edition of Patch Tuesday. Of the 57 bugs blasted in various …

1. asdf
    Trollface

Wow those are some big BCGs (birth control glasses).

1. quxinot
      Coat

No, you're supposed to wear them on your face.

1. David Roberts
        Paris Hilton

What a big nose you've got!

Oh, wait.....

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Coat

Or are you just pleased to see me?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My usual message to utterly useless Ofcom... Adobe Flash, drop it for BT Speed Checker.

When are you going to force BT to produce a BTWholesale Speed Checker than doesn't use the completely borked Adobe Flash.

We're having vast amounts of public money spent on advising small biz/consumers on Cyber security and yet here you are (Ofcom) allowing BT to continue to use Adobe Flash (forcing an install) as the means of checking UK's obfuscated, bamboozled "up to" Broadband Speeds.

There are a few things BT would be better spending money on than a new fancy Openreach Logo, it has to be said and a BTWholesale Speed Checker that works, shows backhaul internode congestion/congestion at exchange/cab level is certainly something that needs priority.

3. EddieD

Even so,

I still want one.

1. Baldrickk

Re: Even so,

Having had the chance to try them out a couple of weeks ago, I feel no desire to get one.

There were colour 'ghosting' artifacts - where the colours for objects were in different positions for moving objects (though that may have just been the app that was running - more testing would be needed, but my guess is that the RGB channels are each drawn seperately leading to this issue)

The field of view was the worse problem though. The area actually covered by the the 'screen' is roughly akin to peering down a loo roll tube, which leads to onjects of any size vanishing into thin air well within your real field of view.

All the hardware reviews I have read downplayed just how bad this is. The kit is actually quite nice, but this is a deal-breaker for me.

1. PNGuinn
        Facepalm

Re: Even so,

"roughly akin to peering down a loo roll tube, which leads to onjects of any size vanishing into thin air"

At least you wouldn't need a bevvy of firemen with an angle grinder to attend A & E then!

Patent possibilities for Slurp? Hmmm ... Oh noes, bog rolls have rounded cornerz ...

C'mon, apple, rise to the opportunity.

2. PNGuinn
      Trollface

Re: Even so, I still want one.

Wot, an internet connected nose?

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

"is a months-old flaw in the Microsoft NT LAN Manager."

Should that not be "decades" old?

Not to mention the evergreen "failing to process input from somewhere else" bug.

Obvious questions. What's running that WiFi code? Is it basically the same hardware in a PC? IOW is that bug in Windows generally as well? If not why didn't they use that version instead?

FSM's. Real handy for writing protocol processing code.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like