back to article Nationwide banking suffers its own Black Wednesday

Nationwide Building Society is having a wobbly web Wednesday with customers getting only intermittent access to online and app-based services. Reports that not all was well first surfaced on Twitter – echo chamber for the angry – some 19 hours ago, but a flurry of complaints about the Brit building society's app showed up 12 …

Windows

Windows

They are a mainly Windows shop for the front end at least? Or were.

I don't find the internet banking that unreliable, although up to now I've had paper statements.

Bronze badge
Trollface

Strangely

They didn't advise customers to use their local branch where the full range of banking facilities are available.

Silver badge

Re: Strangely

"They didn't advise customers to use their local branch"

They might then get asked awkward questions such as "what local branch?".

Silver badge

Re: Strangely

"They might then get asked awkward questions such as "what local branch?""

or, in my case, "You mean the local branch that I joined because it usefully closes after I get back from work at 5.30pm ... oops 5pm ... sorry 4.30 ... no no, 4pm now. So, the branch that is no longer accessible to me ...?"

It's obvious that branches are being closed earlier and earlier to limit their usage and generate a good reason to close them. Which makes it (a) impossible to the oldies to use them and (b) all the more important the the main front end is incredibly resilient. Having said that, I've had very few problems with the system.

I used the web version yesterday morning, and it worked but was noticeably slow.

Silver badge

Odd

Nationwide's Internet banking is usually quite good. Any downtime I've noticed has always been scheduled.

So it looks like Joe Garner's got settled in, then.

Oh, and the twatterers could at least tweat the right Nationwide. I don't think the one in Ohio can do much.

Silver badge

TITSUP

Total Inability To Systematically Undertake Payments

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: Confusion (who has disappeared!!)

Eh, no, there was an issue according to the UK website this morning, but it worked ok for me, twice.

Nationwide UK's web service is pretty good, and planned outages are at the weekend most times.

Currently the message is not there, so I assume its fixed.

Of course the Twattertorie will moan at anything thats not right in the slightest, and really they should be ignored.

Re: Confusion

Oops, I withdrew my original message when I realised it was related to the UK, even though the Twitter feeds shown were mostly of the US bank. Also, are they actually "Nationwide Banking Group"? I thought they were very much a Building Society...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Confusion

They are still a mutual , ie a building society, not sure where Nationwide Banking Group came from, bad research by the article writer perhaps?, unless its a truly weird co-incidence and the US bank had a problem at the same time.

Silver badge

"Brilliant, simply brilliant."

I've been a Nationwide customer for about 35 years, and a web banking customer pretty much since they started offering it, on laptop & mobile. I've literally never had any problems, and I check in fairly regularly.

The sign-off line (title of this comment) is therefore of an ungenerous tone to say the least.

Re: "Brilliant, simply brilliant."

Same here, been a customer for years, used online since it started. Used it this morning.

Never had any trouble, including this morning, although I did get the warning message.

And as for not telling El Reg about the detail's, why should they? It's always been their policy not to say anything, and it could well be a commercial secret.

Bronze badge
Happy

Ditto - banking/saving with Nationwide for as long as I can remember, and the service has been extremely solid, up to and including last night. Snafus are definitely well worth highlighting to keep everyone honest, but I won't be whipping out the red shouty ink and CAPS LOCK to complain just yet.

I thnk you must be getting privileged service in that case - I've been with them about 2 years and seenn at least 3 outages in that time. Pretty flakey on the whole and rarely any sort of update on their twitter. They have put in a 'text me when it's working' system on the most recent outage though which is an improvement.

Not just today..

Actually it's been flakey all week - it was down on Monday and Tuesday at times too.

That said, I have been very pleased with how they perform normally, so am cutting them some slack this week - it must be a proper nasty gremlin to be causing problems three days on the trot.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just today..

Coincidence? I thought I read they were outsourcing some of their IT.

Silver badge

are they still around?

I left NW about 25 years ago when a £20 charge for going overdrawn took me overdrawn,prompting another £20 charge which took me overdrawn again. Despite me infoming them that i was only going overdrawn because of their charges for going overdrawn , and them refunding them , they didnt seem to be able to stop the snowball effect from reaching critical mass.

FAIL

Re: are they still around?

Although I find them pretty good on the whole, I had a similar but more serious issue with them a few years ago when I was unemployed and my mortgage insurance came through a day too late one month. The mortgage payment didn't go out but I didn't notice because it was Christmas time.

In fact I only found out I was in arrears nearly a month later when I received a letter telling me so along with a £20 "fine." I phoned them up to complain for not telling me earlier and they said "we don't send out a letter for bounced mortgage payments because if we did you'd have been charged £20!"

So I ended up being charged £20 anyway, and got a huge black mark on my otherwise perfect credit file, which ended up with my credit card company reducing my credit limit to 1/10th of what it was and doubling my interest rate.

Silver badge

"The Reg asked Nationwide what had caused the problems and were told: "We never release details of what has caused issues, we don't [go] into that level of detail externally."

Sounds like someone other there did something stupid.

Anonymous Coward

a la BA?

Silver badge

Very nearly made the mistake of saying "Why do people still bank with these clowns?", until I re-read the article and I realised it was about Nationwide, not Natwest.

Carry on.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

" I realised it was about Nationwide, not Natwest."

is it? oh , then i take back my earlier post, the NW i referred to was Nat West.

well i guess i dont need to take it back now its clear those clowns were Nat West

I've been a nationwide member for well over a decade and have used web and mobile banking since they started it. Mostly using the app several times a day.

This is the first time I can think of that they've had any sort of outage that isn't planned and communicated ahead of time, so to be honest I don't have a problem with it.

At least it's not on the sale of NatWest screw ups that full on leave people without any access to their money.

Down again here

right now

I tried to log in last week and received an error message from a php server running in debug configuration, spewing out a surprising amount of privileged data. Doesn't inspire confidence, and all their IT team could do was tell me to try a different browser, which kind of missed the point.

I've been a Nationwide member for a very long time and would indeed describe them as "Brilliant, simply brilliant" (without sarcasm of course just in case that's not clear).

And that's including with the inconvenience of OB being on it's arse for a good chunk of yesterday.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018