back to article Bonkers call to boycott Raspberry Pi Foundation over 'gay agenda'

Few could argue with what the Raspberry Pi has achieved. As well as inspiring countless youngsters into computing, the tiny affordable gadget is beloved by amateur and professional techies alike. Yet a completely batshit crazy petition, even by change.org standards, begs to differ. One "NoRottenPi" is calling for a boycott of …

Silver badge
Alert

Rainbow

Very old symbol used for thousands of years in many cultures.

Does not automatically mean someone is pushing LGBTQI at "expense of" Heterosexuals.

However the petition is bonkers anyway.

Silver badge

Re: Rainbow

Apple had a rainbow on their logo from the mid-70s to late-90s - They must really hate Apple!

Anonymous Coward

Well Time cook is gay. Butt the possibly are to stupid to know and are just going by pictures.

Angel

Does this mean that when a beautiful rainbow appears in the sky after a rainstorm that God himself is literally condoning Gayroller massacres?

Anonymous Coward

For god's sake don't tell him that there's half a dozen in the Bible...

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=rainbow&qs_version=NIV

/ If you do, then *you* clean up when his head explodes

Gold badge
Facepalm

What about the ZX Spectrum? Big rainbow plastered all across the front of it. No wonder we all turned gay in the 80s! Remember the 'Pink Windmill'?

That's why they had to make all computers beige in the 1990s. To stop the evil gay propoganda!

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat?

Silver badge

Yeah, not so long along it was used by the peace movement with PACE on it.

A bit OTT for a computer website but nothing compared to some of CoC shit that some West Coast idiots try and force on you in lieu of actually doing anything.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: "pushing LGBTQI"

The whole "gays are pushing themselves on me" mentality sounds like latent homosexual wishful thinking.

Actually it's just code for "your very existence offends me", to which I'd reply; "ditto, but at least I'm not an insecure bigot, who's so weak-willed that he feels it necessary to shield himself from reality, just to stop himself becoming the object of his own bigotry".

On the other hand, the sort of cabbage-IQ people who are bigots probably couldn't understand that reply anyway, so I'd be wasting my breath.

Personally, my orientation is "trisexual": I keep trying to have sex.

Gold badge
Happy

I used to be trisexual. But my wheels kept getting stuck...

Silver badge

I'm against the gay agenda on only one front - adding more and more fucking letters to the original LGB, which became LGBT, then LGBTQ and now I see a damn 'I' has been added onto it. I can't be bothered to google what the hell that's for, but enough already!

Silver badge

Judging by just how stupid this makes the petitioner look, I would suspect that this is a false flag exercise.

Hmmm, thinking about it, the stupid in this actually does match up.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

"What about the ZX Spectrum? Big rainbow plastered all across the front of it."

Not to mention the game "Pimania"! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimania

Anonymous Coward

"The whole "gays are pushing themselves on me" mentality sounds like latent homosexual wishful thinking."

Spot on. Reminds of the tweet i saw during the equal marriage legislation in the UK - "it's a common misconception, but equal marriage will not mean you are now forced to marry someone of the same sex".

Silver badge
Facepalm

rainbows and unicorns and cute animated characters. you find them in a lot of kid's cartoons

I remember the attack on Teletubbies. More of the same. It takes "a wacko". They probably hate Mr. Rogers and Grover the Muppet, too.

*groan*

*facepalm*

Silver badge
Trollface

Let's add an 'R' for 'Robot'

Silver badge

I used to have a Greenpeace t-shirt in the mid-seventies which certainly had a rainbow. And they had one too until the French got hold of it.

And there was certainly nothing gay about Messrs Blackmore, Powell & Dio back in '76.

Anonymous Coward

"Very old symbol used for thousands of years in many cultures."

It is, but the pride rainbow generally only has six colours. The reason for this is quite fun - when hung from the lampposts of San Francisco the pole would block the middle colour, so they deleted one to leave an even number so none of the colours (each representing a value or meaning) would be obscured.

Anonymous Coward

"Well Time cook is gay."

And fruit flies like a banana.

But seriously, try not posting when your brain is so lubricated with alcohol that it slips out of your head... and it wouldn't hurt to enable your browser's spell checker.

Anonymous Coward

LGBTQI?

Oh God, not more letters. Since when did this cumbersome initialism gain the additional 'I' and what the hell does it mean? No actually, don't tell me. I don't care. This has got daft enough.

Silver badge

Re: LGBTQI?

There's a bloody A on the end too!

I reckon we are just a few months off finally being able to solve the conundrum and winning a teapot.

#countdown

I believe the I stands for "intersex" where their physical bits swing both ways. But it's the Q for "Queer" that has me puzzled; isn't that covered by the LGBT options?

One version I saw included an A which I presume stood for "Asexual" who are people who don't have sex or sexual desire and are completely happy with that, so why do they need special representation?

I just think of it as LGBT-alphabet for simplicity.

Silver badge

Q is for gender queer

a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders. the T and I part have different issues then the LGB

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transsexual

Queer

Intersex

Asexual

Where do I get my teapot?

Re: LGBTQIBFt

> "Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transsexual

Queer

Intersex

Asexual"

Brony

Furry

teapot

Silver badge
Coat

As for me I am QWERTY

Silver badge

"... when hung from the lampposts of San Francisco the pole would block the middle colour, so they deleted one to leave an even number so none of the colours (each representing a value or meaning) would be obscured."

Wouldn't that imply that one "value or meaning" was ditched for the sake of appearances? (And if that really was the case, which one?) Why not add another colour representing another value or meaning? There are plenty of both.

Besides, the "problem" would be strictly one-sided, so to speak... and fixing it by removing one stripe would result in the the pole blocking 1/2 of two colours each.

Strong whiff of "meaningful explanation added to coincidence after the fact".

No, I guess someone just found another supplier of flags that were more attractively priced, but had six colours.

Silver badge

I go both ways - QWERTY and QWERTZ, depending on the occasion.

Silver badge

I'm against the gay agenda on only one front - adding more and more fucking letters to the original LGB

This is the principle of self-selecting minorities (you can't be discriminated against if you're not in a minority) that was parodied in the "only gay in the village" sketches in Little Britain: all about attention seeking and nothing to do with human rights.

Anonymous Coward

I'm Tri-sexual.

I'll try anything sexual.

Trollface

What really will twist their noodle is when they find out that there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...

Anonymous Coward

Assume the 'A' stands for Attention seeker.

Silver badge

Colours of; Red Orange Yellow, Green Blue and Violet - equating to the three primary colours and the three overlaps. Newton invented a 7th colour because of his mystical belief in the significance of the prime number 7

Silver badge

Re: the pride rainbow generally only has six colours

Even Newton had trouble with the number of colours in a rainbow. He could only actually see five but decided that seven was a better number.

LGBTQIA, do keep up! I think the A was for Alien.

Anonymous Coward

That's nothing!

Round where I live, it had recently rained and the rain had moved away, then the sun came out. All very nice, you might think, until I looked up into the Tory blue sky, and saw that the gays had been at it again, plastering their rainbow across the whole vista of nature. I am raising a petition to stop this constant hijacking of the skies by the LGBTQIADHKUY brigade. Who's with me?

Paris Hilton

There are in fact 7 colours in the rainbow.. according to Arthur Hamilton:

Red and yellow and pink and green,

Purple and orange and blue,

I can sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow too

Silver badge
Unhappy

I go both ways - QWERTY and QWERTZ, depending on the occasion.

I raise you to QWERTY, QWERTZ, AND AZERTY, all of which I must use regularly, poor me.

This post has been deleted by its author

Intersex, probably.

Collecting the various "non-traditional" categories together in forming the "umbrella branding" seems reasonable (ie L, G, B, T, and I [so far]), but surely the Q is redundant (it's essentially a repetition of G).

Childcatcher

"Red and yellow and pink and green,

Purple and orange and blue,

..."

<pedant>

No! No! No!

Richard of York gave battle in vain.

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

</pedant>

Silver badge
Thumb Up

...QWERTY and QWERTZ,...

I actually had to use a QWERTZ keyboard when I was in Quebec for work last year.

It was slightly unnerving, but poutine for lunch made everything better :-)

Childcatcher

My organisation favours "LGBTQIA+".

Re: LGBTQQIAAP

Is something i saw the other day, even a bunch of 'young people' had trouble identifying the whole thing

Silver badge

Re: LGBTQQIAAP

If we are struggling now with the attempt to apply every letter in the alphabet to mean some special group just imagine how hard it will be for that kid in Canada born without a gender because its parents want it to choose when it is old enough to understand. We dont understand them now! By then they will have moved on from the alphabet and be full on into the ascii/unicode character sets!

Silver badge

Well, according to Wikipedia there were eight colors originally.

Pint

"And there was certainly nothing gay about Messrs Blackmore, Powell & Dio back in '76."

Nor the venue in Finsbury Park where many rock bands performed.

Gimp

"Well, according to Wikipedia there were eight colors originally."

In the Discworld equivalent movement (dwarfs who identify as female?), the eighth stripe is probably octarine.

Silver badge

"I go both ways - QWERTY and QWERTZ, depending on the occasion."

So you're bikeyboardist?

And what does that make me, since I go AZERTY?

Silver badge

I bought a Pi and cheerfully identify as being somewhere over the LGBT rainbow.

Just be careful where you stick that petition, hun.

Silver badge

Intersex, of which there are about 30 conditions, some unrelated. Essentially many have been surgically altered, in some cases without even parental consent or parents being informed.

No-one should be bullied or discriminated against for what they are or believe. Nor for believing differently.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018