back to article Teen girl who texted boyfriend to kill himself guilty of manslaughter

The teenager who repeatedly urged and encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself with hundreds of text messages has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter. Michelle Carter, now 20, was 17 when she spent several months pushing 18-year-old Conrad Roy – who she referred to as her boyfriend – to commit suicide. Most …

Coffee/keyboard

Mrs. Peacock did it in the Conservatory with an iPhone.

Silver badge

A bit flippant

Considering we are talking about a real death.

Silver badge

Mrs May did it in the conservative party with a lead pipe.

Re: A bit flippant

Look at Trump, what would happen if he tweeted the wrong word. Nuclear war might happen.

Silver badge

Re: A bit flippant

Duck and covfefe.

Silver badge
Devil

What a shitty person - she tipped a vulnerable kid over the edge.

Hopefully she'll the maximum sentence allowable.

Silver badge

@Snorlax - Typically the sentence is hand down in another hearing. But she is beyond vile and repulsive.

"Hopefully she'll the maximum sentence allowable."

And she will no doubt be "well looked after" by the other inmates.

It isn't going to be at all pleasant for her.

Not my kind of girl "friend".

Anonymous Coward

Unlike that Arias b1tch at least she didn't tie him up in a shower and do it herself.

Silver badge
Holmes

Not my kind of girl "friend".

yeah, she's maybe a symptom of the kinds of vacuous, self-centered, uber-feminist, drama queens being excreted by the millennial generation, i.e. "undateable" and reason for the '3DPD' acronym. She probably spells 'women' as 'womyn', too.

I blame Patricia Ireland and Gloria Steinam and others for helping to create multiple generations of these *kinds* of B.I.itches. [fortunately not ALL women fall into this trap, just way too many of them, and if they quote the 'fish needs a bicycle' idiocy, they're UBER undateable!]

Anyway, combine "that attitude" with a twisted desire to act like an intarweb troll (i.e. "Be An Hero" de-motivational showing someone with a gun to his head) and you get a 17 year old chick attempting to do an assisted suicide "for the lulz".

yeah. I'm probably right. watch the downvotes that come from people who hate hearing the truth, though.

WTF?

@bombastic bob - Re: Not my kind of girl "friend".

So, basically, feminism is the reason why a girl drove a boy to commit suicide?

Blimey, that's a stretch by any standards. Have a downvote.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @bombastic bob - Not my kind of girl "friend".

No more than "I killed myself because someone told me to do it".

@bombastic bob - Not my kind of girl "friend".

Ahhh, what would the world be without BBobs balanced opinion...

And don't get me wrong BBob, you can have any kind of opinion, can say anything you like.

But IMHO think that you most troublesome observation is the end of your comment:

"yeah. I'm probably right"

Here, have a down vote, just for old times sake...

Re: Not my kind of girl "friend".

I can see B.Bob actually doing things like this himself (maybe not this far, but certainly on this spectrum); his adherence to his doctrine and his need to push his agenda of victimhood into stories that have absolutely nothing to do with it make me think that he'd happily cause pain and suffering to individuals to advance his own social agenda. He strikes me as exactly the kind of "righteous" person who lets the ends justify the means.

Silver badge

Re: Not my kind of girl "friend".

"UBER undateable"? ..... trust me, hun, if you turned up for a date in an Uber it would be game over even before the grade-school misogyny kicked in.

Re: @bombastic bob - Not my kind of girl "friend".

@Martin, I don't see what this has to do with Feminism - I do kind of get Bombastic Bob's point, though - there is something weird going on in society where people are using their perceived / presented vulnerability as a means of empowerment.

(some) Cyclists (I cycle too) seem hell bent on putting themselves in danger with cars so they can make a point about the nobility of their actions in the face of danger.

Social Media addicts seem to want to share their every ailment and discover some dubious ailment to classify themselves with.

Kids glory in being no good at maths, while Talent Show contestants ("who really, really want it, because it's their dream") spend more time relaying their sob-story than developing an actual skill.

Z-List celebs only seem to have an existence in the public eye while spilling their guts.

Everyone just seems desperate for attention from total strangers.

Silver badge

It took just under three years for this to be resolved with the verdict. I don't understand why it took so long.

"don't understand why it took so long."

The US legal system frequently makes the Vogons look like efficiency experts

Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: "don't understand why it took so long."

The US legal system frequently makes the Vogons look like efficiency experts

Having worked for many years in that system, I must say that you are absolutely right.

Of course, inefficiency can sometimes be a good thing. After all, the Vogons still haven't gotten around to clearing the way for that hyperspace bypass.

One was about to object about the slur on Vogon efficiency, however you are correct.

Silver badge

@frank ly - without knowing the specifics there was likely a time lag as evidence was gathered and assessed (say 6 months). Then she is charged and makes a preliminary hearing (say a 2 months). Now there is time for some shystering (several months). Then finally a trial date is set. It is fairly easy for 18 months to two years to pass before the trial begins for a straightforward case. In this case throw some wrangling over whether she should charged as an adult or as a child, she was 17 at the time.

Anonymous Coward

Cardassian justice

The verdict was decided before the case began. Quoting wikipedia: "The trial only shows how the offender was found to be guilty."

Silver badge
Devil

Re: Cardassian justice

Upvoted for the almost perfect use of misdirection, and the lulz. 8^)

But do they strap you into Poetry Appreciation chairs?

Silver badge

Stupid but?

Looks to me like this was two sick people interacting - this is rarely going to work out well but did it rise to the level of manslaughter? This is the USA ... would the verdict have been the same if the positions had been reversed and the boyfriend had talked his girlfriend into it, or if the two weren't both white?

Silver badge

Re: Stupid but?

Did it rise to the level of manslaughter? Yes it did. She both actively encouraged a vulnerable person to kill himself, and also failed to notify the emergency services or others who might have been able to help him.

What do you think should have happened to her?

Silver badge

So you're saying that if one person, who wasn't sick as in mentally incapacitated, but sick as in psychotically driven to cause her 'boyfriend' to eventually kill himself, was white, she didn't deserve to go to jail for a VERY long time?

What a ridiculous statement. Why does skin colour have to come into everything? She was twisted and clearly enjoyed the power she had over her victim. She deserved to be found guilty of manslaughter, and it's a shame that some form of murder charge couldn't have been brought against her.

And why on earth would the verdict have been different if it was a male causing a female to commit suicide? I can't quite understand your thinking.

"two sick people interacting"

Yes, certainly, but the sickness was of diametrically opposite kinds. The boy was a poor sod who needed support. I've often been extremely sad, never to the point of suicide, but I can imagine that negative feedback would certainly have deepened the hole I was in.

The girl, on the other hand, is a vile vicious piece of trash. No sympathy, no empathy, just apparent glee in the power she had over the poor sod, and revelling in the attention she expected as the bereaved girlfriend. A disgusting repulsive failure of a human being.

Like an earlier poster, I hope she gets the full twenty years.

Silver badge

I'd agree with all your points and I have sympathy with the downvotes that I'm getting but what good is twenty years in jail going to do? They were both sick and neither one was getting the medical attention that they needed - but then this is the USA so nobody cares until you kill someone.

Silver badge

In the USA, color (sic) has everything to do with it - we just pretend that it doesn't.

Silver badge

Maybe she's mentally ill to some degree, but one could make the argument that anyone who commits murder or child abuse has a mental illness. Should we go easy on murder and pedophilia because of that?

Silver badge

what good is twenty years in jail going to do?

No guarantee she'll get 20 years. She could get a suspended sentence and probation. The next nutcase that comes along may be discouraged from doing the same thing if s/he thinks it will lead to prison. This woman is clearly messed up. There's always a chance she'll get some help if incarcerated. Being allowed to walk free is a license to kill.

You're getting down votes for telling the truth? Strange world we live in. :/

They were both sick and neither one was getting the medical attention that they needed

People who commit suicide are often quite good at hiding their intentions from people, or hide the reasons why they contemplate it. There's a good chance he may not have gotten help because no one else realised he needed it.

Likewise her bit of pscyhopathy is unique there may never have been a reason for people to suspect.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

> People who commit suicide are often quite good at hiding their intentions from people

He came from an island

Then he died from the street

And he hurt so bad like a soul breakin'

But he never said nothin' to me

RIP Chris and Andrew

LDS
Silver badge

if the positions had been reversed and the boyfriend had talked his girlfriend into it

In this case, all the media would be firing against the 'bro culture' who made a girl commit suicide, instead of someone trying to say it was 'free speech'

In many relationships I saw psychological abuse to be as much evil and dangerous as physical one, just less visible, and the gender doesn't really matter.

>> Should we go easy on murder and pedophilia because of that?

There's certainly a case for going easy on pedophilia that hasn't been enacted upon.

In German if a guy thinks he might abuse a child but has yet to do so he can go and get professional help in complete confidence. No one other than his therapist will know.

In the UK if a guy admits he has such feelings he's put on a sex offenders register and publicly 'outed'.

There's lots of evidence to suggest that some of these feelings are related to obsessive compulsion disorder and lots of people who have OCD are afraid of talking about those feelings in case they get themselves in trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1XMUAsQCw

Silver badge
Trollface

"but did it rise to the level of manslaughter"

depends on how that's defined in a Massachusetts courtroom. And after the appeals, it will be clarified.

I think most people would regard what she did as SOME kind of crime. But don't worry, politicians will "harumph" because "something MUST be done", and make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

"You're getting down votes for telling the truth"

that only happens when you express something with a _conservative_ viewpoint.

In this case, the overt "black lives matter" type of thinking, i.e. "non-whites are the only ones who get jailed", is what's getting the downvotes.

So yeah, dropping the racial/racist comments SHOULD make the downvotes go away.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

how did the topic go off into pedophilia-land?

anyway my $.10 on that: people should be able to THINK or FEEL whatever they want. You can't have thought/emotion police [that's just stupid]. It's what a person DOES that matters. And if you're discouraging a potential kid-rapist from seeking psychological treatment before he commits an actual crime, by throwing his name onto an embarassing registry (etc.) then it's NOT helping...

And if no actual children are harmed... who cares WHAT happens? I'm sure there's a (NSFW) solution or two available online...

Silver badge

"I've often been extremely sad, never to the point of suicide"
You've not been depressed then. When you decide that suicide is the solution to your problem, you cheer up considerably. Friends and relatives of suicides frequently remark on the cheerfulness during the period immediately prior to the suicide.

Silver badge

Prison seldom works as a deterrent. Extra long sentences never do. If you're willing to give up two years of your life living in a box and have every aspect of your life controlled by prison guards, then you're already not thinking rationally about cost-benefit. So why do you think twenty years would make someone suddenly rational.

" Should we go easy on ... pedophilia because of that?"

Pedophilia isn't a crime. Acting on it is.

Silver badge

Encouragement to commit suicide which is illegal everywhere in the US. The trial probably took such a long time because texts.

Re: Stupid but? @Version 1.0

- "In the USA, color (sic) has everything to do with it - we just pretend that it doesn't." -

No, in the USA, colour has nothing to do with it and you just pretend that it does.

Silver badge

I always thought the reason suicide is illegal in the US is so that the police can forcibly detain one for treatment given an unsuccessful attempt. Not sure how I feel about that...

On the one hand I mentored a guy who had a rough go of his early life and really got himself together. Left the service, went to school, got hired and was doing well until a security clearance RE-investigation got his clearance pulled because 15yrs in the past he had been taken into custody for threatening to off himself. Note that he did report the depression issues to the man in the first place... we ALL knew of and respected his struggles and victory... no blackmail material here! But we ended up firing him anyways. W.T.F., over??? That helps who? How?

The flip side is that I had to convince a sibling to voluntarily surrender to a state hospital. Violent, out of control, totally f'ed up at the time. Hadn't yet been convicted of any crime so there was no way to get him treatment unless he volunteered. Any idea how freakin' hard it is to convince a manic depressive in an epic manic swing that they have a problem, not the rest of us? And that the incredible rush is a problem in the first place? In that kind of situation I can understand why the courts want some leverage in mental health crises.

But is criminalization the answer?

Good news: 18 years on my brother is doing great. The guy I hired and mentored crashed after losing job / career setback. Spouse was un-freakin-helpful. But now he's doing OK.

RE: "What good is twenty years in jail going to do?"

It is justice; it is punishment; and it is a warning to others.

The reason for the unusual nature of the trial is that MA state law doesn't appear to have a law in place to cover assisted suicide or a law that requires a requirement to help save a life. So manslaughter was the best that the state could do, and it may not hold up on appeal: it's a stretch. Does her conduct represent a minimum acceptable standard in our society? Clearly not; assuming that she isn't insane but is merely an amoral narcissist with a depraved indifference to human life. If there is any justice, she needs to be shut off from the rest of society, and the full weight of the justice system needs to forcefully educate her on what it is to be a human being.

As a warning to others, this sentence cannot be more clear. Hopefully, the legislature will consider this case and add to state Law. It may prevent others from making similar choices.

Anonymous Coward

Prison seldom works as a deterrent. Extra long sentences never do. If you're willing to give up two years of your life living in a box and have every aspect of your life controlled by prison guards, then you're already not thinking rationally about cost-benefit. So why do you think twenty years would make someone suddenly rational.

It won't, but she'll be at least ten years older (time off for good behavior), probably not very cute after eating prison food for ten years, and a felon, which will make her so unemployable as to make her a lot less hot, even to a depressed person with low self-esteem. All of which may blunt her ability to make someone else's life miserable again.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018