back to article MySQL devs take cache behind shed, shot heard

The developers of MySQL Server have decided its Query Cache feature is a bottleneck and killed it off. Looking over the number of results (and the diversity of advice offered) if you search “tuning MySQL query cache”, it's not entirely surprising. The problem is scalability, as MySQL Server product manager Morgan Tocker …

1. Tim99 Silver badge
    Trollface

An old saw

Fast, reliable, cheap - Pick two. Reliable Referential Integrity is apparently not required by some users. So we can't have fast too?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: An old saw

In databases, do you need true, full ACID behavior or can you tolerate something that is close? There are applications that require ACID while others do not require it though it would be nice.

2. Prosthetic Conscience
    Trollface

<currently trending *js solution> performs much better than MySQL on every level, I'd use that.

3. John Sanders
    Trollface

Does Oracle

Understand the "concept" that no one is using MySQL anymore?

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Does Oracle

I see about 120 mysql servers in my network, though they are all percona builds, not the native oracle one. Though typically percona picks up these kinds of changes into their system.

1. Down not across

+1 for Percona.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed, aren't distros generally in the course of moving to MariaDB, and as "LAMP" web apps mature, starting to become more neutral about DB back end support, allowing, say, PostgreSQL to be used instead?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like