back to article British prime minister slams Facebook and pals for votes

British prime minister Theresa May used Facebook, Google and social media companies as a vote-winning punch bag on Friday, slamming them for not doing enough to limit extremist content online. In a speech that was widely reported 24 hours before she gave it, thanks to pre-briefings from her office, May told the G7 leaders …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does she really believe radicalisation starts online?

It does not, it starts in the Mosque/School or through acquaintances when like minded people share ideologies based on foreign policy decisions of ours and the American government.

I'm not just saying this because of Corbyns speech yesterday, I've been saying it for years along with a lot of intellectual thinkers however it always falls on deaf ears and the press have always attacked the notion without ever giving a reason for terrorist actions other than they are "extremists"

Asking social media to do the job you should be doing before they move to social media is like locking the stable gate once the horse has bolted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They're American neocon foreign policy decisions. We just follow along like a good little lapdog.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It does not, it starts in the Mosque/School

And at home and in the family. It has always been a distinctly family affair - usually brothers and siblings, but generation to generation as well.

However, blaming the family is traditionally unacceptable for the political spectrum right of Attila The Hun. Family is sacrosanct and shall not be blamed. Much easier to blame social media instead.

1. Mark 85

^^^^^^ This... exactly and spot on. Parents (at least in the US) have dumped much responsibility for raising kids on the baby sitters and the schools. The schools have got away from teaching critical thinking and values due to the agendas of the teachers union. Then there's all the social programs that by edict, the schools must do.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What schools should be teaching

It is a good thing schools have "got away from" teaching values. That's something that should be up to the parents, or people the parents choose. It is unfortunate that some people want values taught in schools - because they only want schools to teach the "values" they subscribe to! Parents with certain religious beliefs don't want their kids to be taught about birth control, other parents don't want their kids to be taught abstinence is the only choice.

Some parents want kids to be taught it is OK if they are gay, others don't want the concept even mentioned and would send their kids away to be "re-educated" Pence-style if are. Schools can try to manage with permission slips and multiple classes, but there will always be something new around the corner to add another 'category' of kids that have to be treated differently to accede to their parent's wishes, so it is any wonder administrators would prefer to just wash their hands of the whole thing?

It would be nice if schools taught better critical thinking skills, too many people are too easily fooled by "fake news" and find conspiracy theories more believable than the truth so long as they fall in line with their preconceived notions. Unfortunately teaching critical thinking means kids may start to question what their parents have taught them at home, something guaranteed to get parents fired up to complain to the school board!

So is it really any wonder that schools (this is true in the US, but I'm guessing probably in the UK as well) are basically teaching kids to parrot back a bunch of facts, along with methods to solve canned sets of problems. They leave them totally unable to cope with how to learn on their own - how to research and separate fact from fantasy - as well as solving novel problems they haven't previously encountered and been taught a series a steps to handle.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"Does she really believe radicalisation starts online?"

That and those violent video games.

BTW small point.

May is a PPE graduate.

'Nuff said.

4. itzman
      Holmes

It starts when politicians use ideology instead of common sense to determine [immigration] policy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Dear prime minister...

While you take it out on Facebook and all then us citizens would be really delighted if the police would have taken the effort to look into possible terrorist threats when they get hold of information from several sources around the person (including from people in the Mosque he visits!) who tried to warn law enforcement that the person might seriously be up to no good. The person who has now followed up on his actions.

I think there can never be an excuse for the police not to follow up on leads if it turns out that those leads are indeed very serious (which you can pretty sure conclude when even the people running a Mosque start raising their concerns about someone radicalizing I think). Yet here we are. Although the bomber had been put on a list of suspected people we've now learned from (international) media that the police never followed up on more recent warnings and concerns about this person actually becoming a threat.

My parents always taught me that it's usually better to focus on the cause of a problem (and try to fix that) instead of focusing on the symptoms which this problem is causing and trying to remove those. Because although it may look as if you fixed things fact of the matter is still that the initial problem hasn't gone away and can only grow bigger.

But what do us people know, right? Its so much better (<cough>easier</cough>) to focus on Facebook and other social media for spreading nasty videos and helping radicals sort out their plans. Much better for the government to get full access into the backdoors of Facebook so that they can act when something risky takes place. If you guys got your way we'll soon really get a situation when if someone posts a tweet in the likes off: "Let's bomb the bass tonight!" he'll soon be tracked, located and picked up for possible threat speech. Better to be safe than sore, right? Who could have known the person was referring to some kind of lame dance track from the 90's. Collateral damage, safety first!

Yeah, safety first.... By NOT responding when several sources warn law enforcement that they're becoming really worried that a certain Muslim follower acts quite radical. They they even found out he had (indirect) ties into Al Quada and was frequently contacting sources in Syria about all sorts of things. When even his Mosque started to worry about the person (this one still baffled me, shouldn't all alarmbells go off when that happens and these people warn you?)....

And what did the British police do? They had the person placed on a list of people to watch out for. That'd show him! However now it turns out they never followed up in actually monitoring him.

But let's forget about this now, this is the kind of news you read on international media (my source being a Dutch newspaper who ran multiple stories) and which the British seem very protective off. They already scorned the US for allegedly leaking information about the whole thing to the press (I wonder why..). Seems to me the government doesn't want their citizens to know just how much they really did here. It's so much better to blame this on social media and encryption. Because those are evil things. Internet is to blame!

I call that damage control, and I think it's plain out disgusting.

(edit): I'm not claiming the police could have stopped the attack. But I do think it's plain out hypocritical to start a 'hate campaign' against social media when more could have been done. Social media is only the symptom of the real problem.

1. Rich 11

Re: Dear prime minister...

I can't help but think that the police don't have the resources needed to follow up on every report. I bet they get triaged and dealt with as and when there's time.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

The old East Germany always seemed to have enough police for that sort of thing.

But do we want to live like the old East Germany?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"But do we want to live like the old East Germany?"

Not really... even considering that the GDR had one or two things that weren't half bad.

Ironically, never, not even in their wildest and wettest dreams, would the Stasi have dared to dream of today's possibilities re mass surveillance.

2. Tony S

A key issue that has been brought up time and again. I'd highlight that the police have lost 20,000 staff (mostly front line police) in the last two years.

The Home Secretary (Amber Rudd) was the lead speaker at the recent Police Federation conference (before the events in Manchester). In my opinion, she displayed a certain amount of contempt for them, and at one point was quite rude in her main speech. However, the delegates in return were polite and respectful, although they pressed her quite firmly for answers to questions. For her, the most embarrassing moment was when she tried to tell them what the average salary of a police officer was, and was out by about £17,000! To be blunt, police morale is now at its lowest level since the Police Strike of 1919.

If that wasn't bad enough, after Manchester, they brought some armed forces in to provide additional support; but the army is now at the lowest manning level since the end of the Napoleonic War (1815), and morale there is definitely on the decline.

2. bexley

While I agree with you quite a lot there are some additional factors to consider.

1) the cops cant watch them all. Think how many people that would take. Lets say that a team of 4 people is needed to keep watch on a suspect. They cant work 24/7 so they need to work in shifts. Lets say that 4 shifts of 4 working 24/7 and factor in 1 more shift of 4 to cover absence and holiday. Now multiply that number by the the number of suspects on the watch list locally, and then nationwide, and then internationally.

We would need a exponential increase in the number of cops., 4 or 5 times the size it is at now.

2) I have heard stories of rivals within the muslim communities sending anonymous tip offs about their rivals, business rivals or people that they do not like into the Police, naturally these amount to nothing and are time wasted for the cops.

3) Islamophobia, this one is pretty common, a guy with a scraggly beard, sandles and a dish dash moves in down the road. Other occupants on the street are reminded of all the bad things done by similarly dressed people. They call the police the moment that he does something suspicious like putting the rubbish out late at night.

There is a guy near me that I don´t like the look of, I can easily imagine seeing his grainy face on a CCTV image after some atrocity however, my own common sense prevails and I have not called the Police with some paranoia fuled story about him.

Not everyone has common sense though.

I would venture, as many other have, that living under the threat of terrorism in one form or another suits most governments nicely, it makes it far easier for them to tighten their grip on us.

I expect that the reason that anyone suggesting that perhaps our foreign policy might have something to do with islamic terrorism coming our way is ridiculed and mocked outrage ensues is because that foreign policy is often designed to produce the results that we are seeing.

3. Pen-y-gors

Get it right...!

"In it he[Corbyn] placed part of the blame for terrorist attacks on Britain's foreign policy"

No he didn't. You're repeating Tory propaganda.

What he talked about was causes and reasons. Blame is a moral matter, cause is simply a factual link in a chain of events.

The actions of the UK and other governments over the years have undoubtedly been a cause of some people becoming rather unhappy with Britain, and a very tiny minority deciding that as a result they should kill British children. The British government and some people may feel their actions were justified, but it doesn't stop those actions having a causal link to later events.

Corbyn was very clear about that. "That assessment in no way reduces the guilt of those who attack our children. Those terrorists will forever be reviled and implacably held to account for their actions." and "The blame is with the terrorists...". He also made clear that UK foreign policy is merely one factor "Those causes certainly cannot be reduced to foreign policy decisions alone. "

He also noted "But the responsibility of government is to minimise that chance, to ensure the police have the resources they need, that our foreign policy reduces rather than increases the threat to this country, and that at home we never surrender the freedoms we have won, and that terrorists are so determined to take away."

Who has been cutting police resources? Why did the security services not have the resources to follow up on the many reports they received about the Manchester nutter? How many freedoms have Theresa May and other Tory governments already taken away from us? How many more will go if she is elected next month?

Corbyn's full speech is an interesting read, when not selectively edited by The Heil, the Sun, the Telegraph and the Tories. I've never been a Labour supporter, but I thought it rather hit the nail on the head.

Full text at

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/05/jeremy-corbyn-speech-terrorism-and-foreign-policy-full-text

</rant> - sorry, but I get really worked up about politicians misrepresenting reality for the sake of votes.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Media editing

They're all at it...

I came across a story from the metro paper saying "UKIP want the death sentence for suicide bombers"

Where upon reading what the UKIP leader actually said you find out that she said nothing of the sort.

But hey ho, thats the media for you, never one to put their own bias on a story of course.

As for May and her "campaign to rid farcebook et al of extremist speech" where does extremist speech end and normal speech begin?

Who defines what is extremist?

How much mission creep will there be?

How much will the new laws be abused by the next generation of politicans.

After all, I could see an election won by the green party and they decide anyone supporting nuclear power or wanting discussion of global warming causes being labeled "an extremist" and carted off to jail after having their postings deleted.

The best way to fight extremists and their supporters is not to ban them and censor them (as many on the left want to do with the f***ing british nazi party and now May wants to do with so called muslim extremists) but to drag them out into the daylight and force them to discuss their views with people outside their own little circle of haters.

1. P. Lee

Re: Media editing

>The best way to fight extremists and their supporters is not to ban them and censor them ... but to drag them out into the daylight and force them to discuss their views with people outside their own little circle of haters.

Oh for a thousand upvotes to give.

Ok, maybe dragging them out forcibly is the wrong approach, but why not encourage discussion of various values? Our increasingly PC legal and social environment is so preoccupied with making sure someone's feelings are not upset that it forces the disengagement of those with less fashionable views from the rest of society. Forced to keep their beliefs locked away, they fester in the dark, reinforced by people who may be less extreme, but also have to insulate their beliefs from the tempering influence of the outside world.

This appears to be driven mostly be secularists trying to eradicate religion, sometimes overtly, sometimes under the guise of "equality for all". It is a misguided strategy. What we need to be able to do is to defend our values and our positions. We need not just dialogue, but debate. We need to evaluate Islamic, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, New Age and Secular positions and apply some critical thinking. Rather than name-calling, we should encourage people to elucidate why their position is the best and should be adopted. "Should we punch a Nazi?" "Should we eat pork?" Sometimes the answer will be, "because X said so," an we can give that the attention it deserves, but we should encourage, not stifle the debate. Name-calling and trying to exclude people by "no-platforming" is a sign of a cause without reason.

Sadly I don't think it will ever happen. Increasingly the debate platforms are advertising-funded and they thrive on eternal conflict and true-believers. As the protagonists become professional and/or commercial, their economic interests become aligned with with "keeping the conflict going." Even when they've won, they can't let the issues go.

The aim should be to win your opponent to your position, not to try to demonstrate a third party that you are more intelligent or pious than the other man. What we need is increased tolerance - the ability to disagree with people without trying to destroy them just because they hold "sub-optimal" beliefs.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: What we need is increased tolerance

This is only possible If you actively combat intolerance. You can tolerate all the beliefs in a society, but some of those stupid beliefs lead to unacceptable practices (e.g. FGM) and those practices absolutely cannot be tolerated.

Cultural relativism is bogus: some cultures are superior to others.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

FGM? you drank the koolaid! This an issue for you why? Yet boys can be mutilated in the name of religion with impunity. It's all bad, but you only care about it when it's girls in some far away country.

1. Bloodbeastterror

No surprise that you commented as AC...

"you only care about it when it's girls"

And on what basis do you spout this nonsense? He clearly said "e.g.", not "Here is a complete list".

And FGM doesn't happen "in some far away country" - it happens anywhere that the filth of religion poisons people's minds.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

"FGM? you drank the koolaid!"

I am also against religious circumcision of minors but not only is it quicker to type FGM it is much worse in terms of the effect on adult sexuality, and serves as a better example. And that's what e.g. means...

2. Primus Secundus Tertius

Yes, yes, all very well for dealing with intellectuals, but tell that to Al Capone and his ilk.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nicely done Boris.

"UKIP want the death sentence for suicide bombers"

I'll let others who missed it let that one sink in.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"UKIP want the death sentence for suicide bombers"

Brilliant headline. Shame about the veracity tho.

Unhappy

"How much will the new laws be abused by the next generation of politicans."

We can get a feeling by how much the previous and current one have been.

IOW A lot.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Get it right...!

Of course whilst JC reviles the Islamic terrorist, he cant bring himself to even offer mild reproof for his murderous chums in the IRA....Hezbollah...etc etc.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

You mean all those interviews where he repeatedly condemns all bombings? And in fact the IRA campaign specifically the other night.

3. Anomalous Cowshed

"we never surrender the freedoms we have won, and that terrorists are so determined to take away"

Are the terrorists really so keen to get us to surrender our freedoms? Frankly, I don't think it's the terrorists' number one concern. In what way would it benefit them? On the other hand, there is indeed someone who, throughout history, has sought to get us to surrender our freedoms: the government.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Joke

"Politician give nuanced speech and explains reasons for situation are complex" shock horror.

Page 2 Journo's cannot cope with large number of whole sentences. "He ran us into the ground."

page 3 Speech could not be summarised in 1 sentence."We were baffled."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Terrorists are generally locals who have become very disaffected with the way their lives are not panning out as they would like. The cause they espouse is almost irrelevant. They will be open to any political ideology that appears to promise to give them meaning and control.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

See article in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/27/extremism-terrorism-far-right-neo-nazi-devon-arthurs

2. Bob Hoskins

RE: British prime minister slams Facebook and pals for votes

"Terrorists are generally locals who have become very disaffected with the way their lives are not panning out as they would like. The cause they espouse is almost irrelevant. They will be open to any political ideology that appears to promise to give them meaning and control."

Who just happen to be Muslim? Plenty of unhappy people in Britain but they don't go around killing kids.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: RE: British prime minister slams Facebook and pals for votes

>Who just happen to be Muslim?

Well you aren't going to see good catholic boys setting off bombs in the middle of Manchester

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

IRA anyone?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Well you aren't going to see good catholic boys setting off bombs in the middle of Manchester"

Sadly not any more. When I were a lad. Weedkiller, sugar and paint tins with jetex fuses were just a normal part of life.

Then the IRA ruined the fun

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Plenty of unhappy people in Britain but they don't go around killing kids."

I beg to differ.

15 August 1998. The Omagh bomb killed 29 people (including a woman pregnant with twins) as well as injuring some 220 others.

20 March 1993 Two small bombs exploded in litter bins outside shops and businesses on Bridge Street, Warrington. Two children were killed and dozens of people were injured.

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

'Who just happen to be Muslim? Plenty of unhappy people in Britain but they don't go around killing kids.'

It takes two things to create a suicide bomber: One person who is generally unhappy with their life and wanting to do something that makes them stand out and give a reason to their life. Another person exploiting the first idiot and supplying them with ideas and tools. The first kind exists everywhere. The second kind did exist in Northern Ireland. And in the USA, with easy access to guns, the first kind can and does kill many without any help.

PS. Your sentence is not logical at all. The last two idiots were both unhappy people in Britain.

5. Elmer Phud

Are we forgtting something?

Other than the fact that May would shit on a kitten if she thought there was a vote in it, it seems that it's fine for right-wing groups to re-post old videos of stoning, whipping and beheading, while also gleefully posting pics of overflowing and sinking lifeboats with comments such as 'never teach a Muslim to swim', 'one less potential terrorist', 'shoot the fuckers while they are in the water' etc. etc, while also claiming to be 'compassionate Christians'.

We are not buying this shit. from KKKippers, biffers etc.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"Other than the fact that May would shit on a kitten if she thought there was a vote in it,"

Not an image you really want in your head

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If

we had not colluded with that cretin Bush and stayed the fuck out of the Middle East, we would not be in the utter mess we are in now.

The politicians are utterly responsible for this mess.

Dear radicals, can you please target the cretins in the big brick house with the enormous clock in *Londonistan please.

Not the public, who, frankly, have no gripe with you but never get a say in what war our leaders decide to partake in, but have to suffer the inevitable retributions.

*Allthough, they do have 24 hour protection whilst banging on about us "carrying on as normal". Yes, because we all have a 24 hour armed security contingent following us around. I'm sure I'd feel safe(er) if that was the case.

Twats.

Re: If

@cornz1

No sir! These people are not letting off bombs in our midst because of a rational analysis of British foreign policy. They do it because they hate us; they hate us because we do not embrace their specific religion.

We cannot repeat often enough that in Britain secular law takes priority. If they really cannot accept that, it is time they moved, or are moved, elsewhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"We cannot repeat often enough that in Britain secular law takes priority. "

Is that the secular law enacted by parliament that has christian prayers before each sitting and bishops voting on laws put forward by the commons?

@AC

Every institution has its relics. The Labour Party has the Right Honorable Jeremy Corbyn MP.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

"We cannot repeat often enough that in Britain secular law takes priority. "

That's why I can't shop on sunday or buy beer before 10:00am on a saturday? - that fscker Dawkins !

2. Bloodbeastterror

"they hate us because we do not embrace their specific religion"

Well... no... not entirely. They target Britain because we joined in an unprovoked illegal assault (not "war") on Iraq, a sovereign state. If Iraq had *actually* attacked Britain I might feel differently; but as it stands my view is that that vile failed human being Blair painted a crosshair on our backs - and is now reaping the millions of pounds on the back of the millions of dead and suffering.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"They target Britain because we joined in an unprovoked illegal assault (not "war") on Iraq, [...]"

The causality is slightly different. The aftermath of the Iraq invasion opened up the sectarian fault lines that had existed ever since the country was artificially created by France and Britain circa 1920 - true of most of the Middle East countries. It also allowed the Al Qaeda groups to infiltrate Iraq - where they previously had no traction.

Tribalism in the West has largely been subsumed into nations over the last few centuries. In the Middle East and many other parts of the world it is still often the primary part of someone's identity. It is said of Arab politics that: "I will join my brother to fight my cousin - I will join my cousin to fight a stranger - I will join with a stranger to fight an invader".

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

AC, it's a shame you are an AC, cos you make a quite valid point. A lot of the middle east unpleasantness is thanks to Sir Mark Sykes and M. Picot. They assumed (correctly as it turned out) that the faltering ottoman empire would not last, and drew some fairly random lines on a map deciding on 'spheres of influence', leading to some fairly daffy succession states after the empire fell, together with lots of broken promises. Which never goes down well anywhere, but at the risk of generalization, particularly so with people in that part of the world. Since then pretty much, endless hassle.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

They target Britain because we joined in an unprovoked illegal assault (not "war") on Iraq, a sovereign state.

Bollocks.

Let me spell it out for you. I am no fan of Saddam, I am no fan of Qaddafi(*) and I am definitely no fan of Assad. They, however, were keeping a lid on middle eastern lunacy for us. We "imported" democracy there and assisted in the collapse of their dictatorships. That created the fertile soil on which the always present seeds of Islamic terrorism grew and flourished. We are now harvesting what we fertilized. The legality of their rule is irrelevant. We did not sow it - we just shoveled a load of manure on top for it to grow.

What is relevant is that we went in and intervened without any plans for the "day after" and how we will control the unleashed lunatics having a free for-all.

(*)Do not wave the PanAm 103 and UTA 772 at me. You need to understand what Qaddafi was doing first. Lybia was never a state - it was and is a patchwork of clans some more fanatical and violent than the others. Qaddafi farmed out government functions to various clans to balance their power. During that period intelligence was farmed out to one of the more lunatic clans. While the results were not pretty, they were still significantly less than what would have been a free for all of all clans against each other with lunatics breeding and growing in the environment - what we have now. Also, as a result of the resulting "chess game" that clan was taken off the board and was not in play at the time we intervened to "transition them to democracy"

2. Bluenose

Sorry that is a nonesense and even Jeremy Corbyn did not go down that route. The reality is that we are in the mess we are in because we along with other rich western states are seen as supporters of the people who oppress and abuse their populace. The UK, France, America and others have all had a fun time swapping leaders in the Arab world for years, funding their wars, providing the nice big toys that go bang and smoothing the road to corruption with those lovely bribes and backhanders we have provided. That makes us a valid target in the eyes of some people.

Corbyn's perception of the issue is the right one, we need to change our foreign policy to undermine the conditions in which fanaticism can develop and to try and become the good guys. That is a hard position to get to particularly with our history but we can get there with hard work and an ethical as opposed to economic/patronage based foreign policy which we currently have.

One war or even the 4 we have had in recent memory are not the reasons for Manchester or even Paris, they are the result of a much longer history and worse still a populist political environment wherein nationalist or power seeking politicians seek to blame one specific group for all the ills afflicting a specific grouping of people. Of course we in developed nations would never countenance that in our countries, would we?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whenever I see 'we need to' in a post, I cant but help remember the fable of the belling of the cat.

It ALWAYS, without fail, presages a virtue signalling sentiment that takes absolutely no account of the laws of nature and of human nature.

"We need to develop clean infinite reliable and sustainable energy"

A classic case of 'I want all the rewards with none of the consequences or responsibilities'.

The above poster clearly has put his Marxist sunglasses on and is talking the language of 'oppression' and 'victimhood' and I shouldn't be surprised if 'capitalism' and 'social justice' aren't lurking in there somewhere.

He reminds me of the person I debated about cats and bird deaths.

The inconvenient truths that the breeding rates of birds is such that 90% of chicks have to die in the first year of life to maintain a reasonable stable bird population, and that a cat with a bird in its mouth is not evidence that the cat actually killed it, were simply denied.

The only dead birds he saw were in cats mouths, ergo only cats killed birds, and because some birds around is nice to have, infinitely more birds was obviously infinitely better.

So, we must excuse these Islamic chaps for their bigotry and racism in extrapolating a very narrow and limited experience of the west to all Westerners? Whilst simultaneously decrying any bigotry and racism on the part of Westerners?

In short we ought to know and do better, but they can't be expected to?

The staggering implicit racism of the Liberal Left.

Bit it's all just posturing isn't it? Virtue signalling, not intended to be serious policy.

Just like climate change.

If anyone really gave a damn about CO2 we would have 50GW of nukes online by now.

Not spinning bird mincing prayer wheels ruining the view.

WTF?

"..have a 24 hour armed security contingent following us around. I'm sure I'd feel safe(er)"

Actually Wacky Jacqui Smith did and (when Home Secretary) still said she wouldn't walk the streets of London at night, due to the threat of crime.*

And because she had nowhere to go as no one liked her.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like