back to article Google wants to track your phone and credit card through meatspace

Google wants stores to gather purchase data on its behalf, to bolster its case that advertising on the platform works. Lest you fret about the gross invasion of privacy involved, rest assured that the Chocolate Factory promises the info will be anonymised. (Stop laughing, anonymity researchers. We're sure Google means what it …

Anonymous Coward

Anyone know how long Google have had access to this?

"If not, fear not: Google's signed partners in the financial sector that mean it can see 70 percent of credit card transactions in the US (thankfully, the program's specific to the US at the moment – perhaps because other countries have privacy regimes harder to navigate). As The Consumerist puts it: “your history of ad viewing is still going to be out there, tied to your credit card spending, without a whole lot you can actually do about it”. "

I love the dystopian future that's already here. It makes me shop less. In turn I can work less! Less stress + owning less stuff = more happiness...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone know how long Google have had access to this?

Same here AC.

Being more aware of consumerism as a system has made me passively (and sometimes actively) resistant against it.

Government can bleat about "consumer confidence" all they want, but I definitely want to make do with less junk in my life, and less tracking while I opt-out.

Boffin

A good question - the first warning sign for me was when a secure payment page was slow to load because it was 'waiting for doubleclick', which was very shortly before I started looking at actual blocking of advertiser domains rather than just e.g. not having flash or activex enabled.

That must have been at least a decade ago, well before google bought them and the magic google whitewash made it all completely not-evil and totally different from those horrible advert people.

Card purchase data, notification emails, customer loyalty cards, postal addresses... this new(ish) thing is just an explicit link rather than the implicit links they had to infer previously.

Silver badge

It's a bit of an irony, actually

Here we were, idly postulating about how evil our governments could become, when it was actually private companies that were working on perfecting the most invasive day-to-day violation of our privacy.

Sure, the NSA has the ability to look into me, but I will never be greeted at a shop by someone I don't know who will ask me specific questions on how my family is going. Google, on the other hand, will one day have the means to prompt the sales clerk to ask if I like whatever it was that I bought yesterday, or if I'm still using whatever it is I bought last month.

That is a whole new level of surveillance and I am certain that I will like that even less.

Silver badge

Re: It's a bit of an irony, actually

"Google, on the other hand, will one day have the means to prompt the sales clerk to ask if I like whatever it was that I bought yesterday, or if I'm still using whatever it is I bought last month."

At which point the sale would be lost.

"Here we were, idly postulating about how evil our governments could become, when it was actually private companies that were working on perfecting the most invasive day-to-day violation of our privacy."

Yes, but Google wants to throw ads at you - your government wants to throw people in jail.

Silver badge
Holmes

Some of us have been trying to warn people for years and all we got were downvotes.

Anonymous Coward

> Yes, but Google wants to throw ads at you - your government wants to throw people in jail.

Don't be surprised if that distinction becomes blurry in the next few years.

Silver badge
Go

At which point the sale would be lost

And maybe the original item given a few seconds in a microwave - to destroy any microchips, natch.

And then tested and found not to work.

And so brought back for a refund.

No I don't have an email address, or phone for you.

Do you have ... Sorry, that's personal I can't answer that ...

Yup, I'll give you may name and address. Mind you, write ALL of it down, lad ... there's 41 letters in my hyphenated firstname alone ....

Can't read my signature? It's not meant to be legible, lad, grow up.

Nature of fault - pile of steaming dodo poo ....

Please put your card ...

Nope. Paid cash, want grubbies back.

etc.

Anonymous Coward

"Google wants to throw ads at you - your government wants to throw people in jail."

The way things are going, our government may start throwing bombs at us soon...

Anonymous Coward

I was approached by a very attractive lady at the local shopping centre who was with trying to flog one of the credit builder credit cards. I will freely confess that I was dressed a little rough because I had been on a site visit trying to locate cable faults. So after the initial hello and introduction to the brand I explained that I have a very good credit score so she might want to talk to someone else. Nope it's me she wants to talk to and as I'd given her my first name when we first met she asked for my email. I said she was very attractive but things were moving a bit fast for me, what about a drink first maybe when she finished.

Laughing she replied she wasn't sure her boyfriend would approve of that. What's his Credit score then, is he a safe emotional investment for you? Still laughing she asks what my score is and I get an approving look when I say around 980 out of 1000. I said I was happy to give her an email address but only over a drink. Sadly she declined the offer and we both left the encounter empty handed.

Anonymous Coward

The way things are going, our government may start throwing bombs at us soon...

Won't need to. It will just keep inviting people in to do the dirty work.

Anonymous Coward

I'm noticing a reappearance of zombie cookies / HSTS exploits also on iOS10.3.x,

I've collected a bunch of unique identifier trackers from Alphabet wannabe's that are repopulated as soon as they've been erased/cleaned/deleted. I wonder if this permanent ID is connected to the Goooogle credit-card snarfing?

Apple seem not to be interested, according to the thousand or so who've clicked the 'this-affects-me-too" button on Apple forum.

Silver badge
Angel

Some of us have been trying to warn people for years and all we got were downvotes.

Heh, think what some of us Christians feel - for decades warning that mass tracking of your movement was coming, that would be linked to commercial activity, and we got rubbished for it. And yet here we are, what you buy and where you go all handily stored in one easy-to-target1 location. Now it's coming to pass, and worse than some of us expected.

1 "Target" in this case being legal action by the government (if you watch Continuum you'll see we may reach a point where the corporations are the government), hackers, those who know how to file the right FOI requests...

Silver badge

Apple seem not to be interested, according to the thousand or so who've clicked the 'this-affects-me-too" button on Apple forum.

Got a link to the forum? I know a couple of people who may wish to be more informed of the issue themselves.

We're already being asked for email addresses at the till

Here in the UK some companies are already asking for ones email address at the till. This first happened to me some months ago in Lakeland, but has now happened about a dozen times in various other shops. My response each time is the same - to refuse to give my email address. I'm also increasingly tending to withdraw cash from a cashpoint prior to going shopping, and purchasing with cash, because I strongly object to all this unwanted invasion of privacy.

I'm getting heartily sick of this corrosive invasion of privacy that's taking a stranglehold on society - even Aunty Beeb is at it, saying they're going to make a sign-in a requirement for use of iPlayer, purportedly to give one a personalised experience which personally, I do not want (I've contacted them to ask what the real reason they intend to insist on a sign-up is, as it's onl'y a bonus to users if it's an optional requirement).

In my opinion, governments worldwide need to get a grip on this tendency to corporate snooping, and make it absolutely clear to corporations, via legislation, if necessary, that corporations exist to serve society, NOT the other way around. As for Google they can drop dead and die so far as I'm concerned, the unethical shits.

Silver badge

Re: We're already being asked for email addresses at the till

Using cash? Facial recognition to the rescue. [advert]Take a look at these special offers on facepaint and masks[/advert].

My e-mail address really is 'root@localhost'. I can prove it: look over my shoulder while I send myself an email.

If they get this working for me, they will get a list of things I bought, but I did not see the advert because I have javascript turned off. If they invent ads that work without javascript, they will know exactly which products to advertise so they can prove their marketing is effective.

Got to go - I need to buy a pair of lightspeed briefs.

Silver badge

"Here in the UK some companies are already asking for ones email address at the till."

Me: "jtripper@whitechapel.com"

JLV
Silver badge
Trollface

>purchasing with cash, because I strongly object to all this unwanted invasion of privacy

Be warned, citizen: only those with something to hide want to remain anonymous. You are now on the double secret probation watchlist!

LDS
Silver badge
Joke

If the cashier is pretty: "OK, but give me your telephone number first...." <G>

If she doesn't call police, maybe will stop asking my email...

Anyway, I guess I will remove the battery from my phone while shopping (yes, I still look for phones with a removable battery.... the only way you can be sure to kill them, if they don't have another one hidden).

Anonymous Coward

some businesses use the excuse 'Do you want our newsletter?' as a way to harvest emails.

My response is always a firm but polite 'No'.

I fully expect that soon, I will start hearing 'It is company policy' as an excuse.

Then we can see a big increase in m.mouse@disney.com and similar fake ones being used.

I already make more and more purchases using cash just to reduce my tracking profile to a minumum. This especially applies to businesses I have never used before or are part of national chains.

Adverts are evil. Pure and simple. Anything advertised to me goes on my 'do not buy' list.

Yes, I am the exception but it makes for a less invaded life. (Adverts invade my personal space)

yours,

Grumpy Old Man (paid up with Cash, used notes only)

Silver badge

If "no thanks, I get enough spam as it is" is too difficult to say, how about something like "roger.irrelevant@mailinator.net"?

That and making sure GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth are off should be enough I would have thought.

ADC
Big Brother

> even Aunty Beeb is at it, saying they're going to make a sign-in a requirement for use of iPlayer, purportedly to give one a personalised experience which personally, I do not want (I've contacted them to ask what the real reason they intend to insist on a sign-up is, as it's onl'y a bonus to users if it's an optional requirement).

This is preparation for allowing iPlayer access only if you have a TV licence.

And of course to track your viewing/downloading habits...

Silver badge

Here in the UK some companies are already asking for ones email address at the till.

Maplins did this for about a year fifteen years ago. My response was no@fuckoff.no. Some of the sales staff grinned as they wrote it down, others looked ashamed at what they were required to do.

Perhaps I should have registered the domain and checked to see if the company still tried to contact me.

Silver badge

casework@ico.org.uk

Anonymous Coward

Larry.Page@google.com

Silver badge

"Yes, I am the exception"

Don't be too sure. You're certainly not alone.

Meh

Re: governments worldwide need to get a grip on this tendency to corporate snooping

Why would they? It's so much cheaper to have corporations do this stuff, thereby lowering taxes & shrinking the state while simultaneously tightening their grip on the populace.

Meh

Re: 'It is company policy'

Respond with "Do you want the sale?" Company policy is binding on employees of the company, not customers.

Big Brother

There's one retailer for garden machinery in my area that needs name, address, DOB and phone number for cash sales. When I asked why they told me that since their software was upgraded the till needs that info before processing any sale, be it cash or card! Do they really need all that info just for a simple carb service kit for a lawnmower? I could see the point if I was buying a chainsaw.

Silver badge

"There's one retailer for garden machinery in my area that needs name, address, DOB and phone number for cash sales."

If this is in the UK it would appear to contravene the DPA.

Argos ask for your email address "for warranty purposes in case you lose the receipt"

No spank you, I have a dedicated drawer for receipts, if I lose it, I accept all responsibility.

Aunty Beeb is at it, saying they're going to make a sign-in a requirement for use of iPlayer

I suspect this may be keeping their options open for moving to a subscription model, at least in part, some time in the future.

Silver badge
Meh

"This is preparation for allowing iPlayer access only if you have a TV licence"

Do you have a problem with that?

Whenever I'm asked for an email address that I don't want to give I use [not.today@nothanks.com] weirdly, no one has said anything about it as they write it down but then I doubt the poor till flunky gives a toss one way or the other.

Silver badge

> This is preparation for allowing iPlayer access only if you have a TV licence.

Or huge juicy personal detail to show that nice Mr Murdoch when he gets his chequebook out

Anonymous Coward

Why can't the Beeb just ask for the TV licence number to register your devices?

Anonymous Coward

The current ad showing on El Reg.

What is the connection between IT people and Corsodyl mouthwash? Is it bleeding edge technology?

Silver badge
Boffin

"Yes, I am the exception but it makes for a less invaded life."

And you're a "runner" citizen voter. You are one the undesirables they're making more effort to find as you attempt evade the system citizen voter. You will comply citizen! YOU WILL COMPLY OR DIE CITIZEN!

"There's one retailer for garden machinery in my area that needs name, address, DOB and phone number for cash sales."

If any business did that for any transaction, I would politely make it clear to the employee that I will not give that information and would leave without buying anything. I might even go so far as to find the manager and tell him they lost a sale because of asking too many questions. I would not put anything back, make the employees do it. "Why are we putting this back on the shelf?" "Because a customer refused to provide their personal information."

Anonymous Coward

While I would burn the (...) who came up with this idea, likewise asking for your post code (and whether you have your customer loyalty card on you), I must admit it's a devillishly cunning tactics. I mean, if you don't ask, you don't get, and nobody's going to give them a false e-mail (and what's one false e-mail versus thousands of good ones?). Nothing to lose, the worst they're gonna get is - nothing. And the e-mail they get is probably the main one, of this idiot customer. You ask, you get. Every little helps, said the tesco ladies, asking the question 1,000 every day, 7 days a week, at every till, at every tesco supermarket.

p.s. every time they ask me this question I'm instantly like, "excuse me?! did you just ask the shade of my foreskin?! Truth is, you can't take it out on the till person, they're only following orders of the (...) above.

Before the "great British public" realize (if ever) their privacy is worth something... well, their e-mails and postcodes will have been FREELY given away (and probably resold for a good price, being legit / verified / crossed with shopping habits, etc.)

Anonymous Coward

trouble with providing false e-mail or other data to the bbc is that, I'm pretty sure that buried deep in their terms and conditions, a clause (or ten) about their right to withdraw their service for those who provide false details. Trivially simple to crossreference their database with the post code you are "asked" to provide to register for iplayer experience. All to better serve your individual viewing habits and our customers' identity is of utmost importance to us, etc, etc.

Unhappy

Re: "corporations exist to serve society"

Oh, stop - my sides are splitting!

Happy

@Tachikoma: Re: We're already being asked for email addresses at the till

Tachikoma,

in case you weren't aware, we do not necessarily need a receipt in the UK for warranty purposes, [iirc] the actual wording in the legislation is 'reasonable proof of purchase'.

Either way if they give me any sh!t like that when I am about to purchase something, my reply is a polite but firm No!

In my experience most low-level bods doing that job don't mind in the least...

Cheers,

Jay

none@your.biz

A valid enough looking address that conveys exactly how I feel about the question.

Silver badge

@AC Corsodyl -- yes, I hate these and think I will now switch from Corsodyl to another brand for icking me out.

Silver badge

"My response each time is the same - to refuse to give my email address."

I would give them an email address. Probably gofuck@yourself.com

"even Aunty Beeb"

I have created several BBC accounts with similar email addresses.

Silver badge
Trollface

"Grumpy Old Man (paid up with Cash, used notes only)"

Following that instinctively with "...in non-sequential bills" in my mind does not make me a bad person! I swear...!

Silver badge

"I'm also increasingly tending to withdraw cash from a cashpoint prior to going shopping, and purchasing with cash, because I strongly object to all this unwanted invasion of privacy."

I've been doing that for many years, not only because of the privacy aspect but also so I don't get into debt by spending what I don't have - the increase in availablity of instant money you don't have has near ruined many people's lives.

Although the privacy aspect does tend to get blown out of the water as soon as I withdraw cash from an ATM at a supermarket then use that cash and my store card in said supermarket.

Oops.

But hey at least I have no debts :)

Anonymous Coward

There's one retailer for garden machinery in my area that needs name, address, DOB and phone number for cash sales

The best answer to that is to use an odd name and DOB and the address of a holiday home in a different country. A French address really mucks the computer systems used in many UK shops.

Silver badge

And the e-mail they get is probably the main only one, of this idiot customer.

The whole thinking behind this is predicated on the assumption that people have only one email address.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018