back to article Selling physical and virtual storage arrays? How to crack it against mainstream giants

Take two companies with two new storage products. One is a physical array and the other is a virtual array built from clustered server nodes. Both are block access. Will the same selling/marketing approach be successful for both? Should you sell to CIOs or to lines of business (LOBs)? If you have a new storage array, then it …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Race to the bottom

This commoditization of storage is exactly why the company I'm currently at will be the last storage company I work for.

Storage is a race to the bottom financially, and if you happen to be at a startup with an equity award, there's little to no financial upside anymore, at least for peons like me. Founders, execs, investors, and very early employees might make something, but it's just table scraps for most everybody else.

Many people I've had hallway conversations with are saying the same thing, and I'm spotting a similar trend. Complete whatever remainder you have of a four-year vesting cycle at a storage company, and then get out and move to a completely different sector in IT.

Definitely a race to the bottom, and table scraps. Time to move on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like