back to article How do ransomware scum decide what to charge you? The Big Mac index

Cybercriminals have put together a strain of ransomware that changes the cost of the extortionate demands depending on the victim’s location, threat intelligence firm Recorded Future reports. Fatboy, which is being advertised on a Russian-language cybercrime forum, uses The Economist’s Big Mac Index to decide how much to …

Silver badge

So I just spoof my computer being in a country being where Big Macs take up a disproportionate percentage of take-home income and lower the ransom?

Silver badge

That would be Brazil. But the cheapest big macs can be found in Egypt both in actual currency terms and in ppp$ terms, so maybe you want to go there.

All right, that sounds fair. Carry on, Fatboy!

Anonymous Coward

North Korea is pretty safe then...

You can't buy a Big Mac there.

Silver badge

Re: North Korea is pretty safe then...

>You can't buy a Big Mac there.

Good luck finding a VPN service that pops out there, too. There's only a thousand or so IP (v4) addresses available there (or that is the publicly known figure, at least)

Bronze badge

Blockchain is the future?

So much new tech is being touted as using the power of the blockchain, yet we can't use that to somehow stop the illicit transfer of Bitcoin around the world? I know Bitcoin is somehow anonymous, but isn't the point of the blockchain to be able to track the validity of the currency? If the bitcoin community wanted to (and unless they're all criminals, why wouldn't they want do) couldn't they ban together and basically flag some bitcoin as illegal and basically block transactions from the system? I'm just asking, there isn't a mechanism to keep criminals from using bitcoin for their illicit purposes? I suppose that would require a central bitcoin governing body, which would probably kill the use of bitcoin faster than anything.

Anyway, good to see them organizing with a global mindset. Every corporation knows to operate in this manner (even Hollywood uses region locking for distributed physical media). Shows promise for these young Russian criminals.

Anonymous Coward

Big Mac Index?

Shurly they meant Body Mass Index (BMI) closely related I thunk you'll find

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017