back to article A sensible Internet of Things investment house? Breed Reply looks like it

Internet of Things startup investment firm Breed Reply is a curious creature, pouring cash into IoT companies that aren’t punting laughably silly technology. “We are people with an industrial background,” chief exec Emanuele Angelidis told us. The firm, founded in 2015, has 17 upstarts on its books at the moment. Amongst …

1. Erewhon

IoT only makes sense for data gathering and processing

One great idea would be multiple sensors to be used on farms monitoring temperature, rainfall, humidity, soil moisture, & soil acidity/alkalinity.

Couple this with the use of an automated drone using GPS to navigate over each of these sensors to act as the 'remote WiFi' to collect this locally stored data, which would overcome the issue of the lack of WiFi/4G signal over large rural areas.

Or just add WiFi repeaters across the estate too, to create a local hive network.

Call it PHARM - Portable Harvest Agricultural Realtime Management.

That'll be $5 million start up capital to get me up and running please.

#ActuallyQuiteSerious.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Brian Miller

Flying drones and wind

Out in eastern Washington state, the wind blows a lot. There's been an awful lot of focus on flying drones, but I can't see them navigating a 30mph+ wind very well. I know that some of the agricultural drones photograph the soil and plants, and then software analyzes the colors to determine composition and health. But it's all rather shot to hell when the drone can't fly in the wind. Maybe a kite system could be useful, but I keep thinking a drone that navigates rough crop land would be good.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

17 upstarts on its books - or is that 17 upsets?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"pouring cash into IoT companies that aren’t punting laughably silly technology."

Ten quid in the kitty should be about right.

6. T. F. M. Reader

"wearable device to be fitted to cattle"

The only use case that fits?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "wearable device to be fitted to cattle"

The difference is that the actual bovines won't be prepared to pay their own money to be monitored.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Internet of Things startup Breed Reply

Will their IoT devices come with built-in default passwords? Or will they at least hire the one techie to test the devices for such security defects?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like