back to article Good news, everyone! Two pints a day keep heart problems at bay

Moderate drinking is good for you, a BMJ-published study has found, directly contradicting the advice of the UK government's "Chief Medical Officer", who advised last year there was "no safe level" of drinking. A daily pint reduces risk of a heart attack and angina by a third, a big data study of Brit adults has found, while …

Moderate drinking is two units per day - that's one pint of beer, not two, unless you drink small beer.

Silver badge

It's only a problem if you're counting.

Silver badge

Small beer?

Have you tried buying small beer recently? ('recently' = any time in the last hundred hears or so). The trend seems to be for ever-stronger concoctions.

Anonymous Coward

"that's one pint of beer, not two"

Unless it's some dreadful American piss-lager or Fosters.

TRT
Silver badge
Silver badge

Ah yes - like sex in a canoe - f@cking close to water.....

Silver badge
Pint

You're clearly too drunk to read the article properly: with "moderate" defined as around three pints of beer a day for men, and two glasses of wine for women (as recently as the 1960s, official health advice suggested that a bottle of wine a day was fine).

I'd say that was about moderate for my student days. I barely manage three pints a week now that I work full time. Not counting the whisky chasers...

There is only one definition of heavy drinking I agree with - and that's if you drink more than your doctor.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Small beer?

"The trend seems to be for ever-stronger concoctions."

A newspaper review of the "best of" a class of products recently had "low alcohol wines".

It transpired that by "low alcohol" they meant 11%. No sign of anything lower in their list.

Silver badge

"You're clearly too drunk to read the article properly: with "moderate" defined as around three pints of beer a day for men, and two glasses of wine for women (as recently as the 1960s, official health advice suggested that a bottle of wine a day was fine)."

Depends on the article. The original BMJ article seems to say it's 3 units per day, approximate 1-1.5 pints.

Tesco Value Bitter - 2.1% . Yes, it tastes like it, too.

No, I'm sober enough to read the actual BMJ press release - and the end of Orlowski's article, where he defines moderate as 20g/day (which is probably a mistake for 20ml/day), or a tad over 2 units (or probably intended to be 2 units), which is a pint, not two pints.

Also, the BMJ press release defines it as 14 units a week.

Pint

Svagdricka is readily available from supermarkets in Sweden.

Silver badge

"Also, the BMJ press release defines it as 14 units a week"

So we just have 7 pints on a Friday and we're covered?

Bronze badge

"he trend seems to be for ever-stronger concoctions."

Not recently, there have been tax breaks in the UK for lower ABV brews, and these are proving quite popular.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jun/14/lower-alcohol-beer-taste-test

Silver badge

Probably not beer though

Most of the "health benefits of alcohol" studies are from countries which drink wine, not beer. In fact, the studies on benefits of beer are very ambivalent and most of the studies waved by opponents of alcohol are from beer drinking countries.

So more like two glasses of red at dinner, not 2 pints.

Silver badge

Re: So more like two glasses of red at dinner

Back off Brussels!!!

Anonymous Coward

Snake Venom anyone?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/24/worlds-strongest-beer-snake-venom_n_4157580.html

Silver badge

Interesting side note regarding level of alcohol in wines...

I recently started drinking varying bottles of Chateauneuf Du Pape rather than the usual Wolfblass/Jacobs poison.

Despite the fact it is around 13.5-14, I feel less affected in the morning than if I had drank from the hallowed prison isle usual suspects.

There is something in this more expensive wine makarky. I thoroughly recommend it.

Obviously I am not IR35 fodder as we would be talking Chateau Margaux and I would expect to wake up the next day in the arms of Venus as a result.

Anonymous Coward

"Svagdricka is readily available from supermarkets in Sweden."

Svag being "weak". Very necessary in countries with very strict drink driving laws.

In olden times small beer was drunk by children - as the brewing process rendered it safer than the usual household water supplies.

IIRC the tourist books for Sweden warned that ordering a "soft drink" meant a tall cocktail which contained alcohol - like a Tom Collins.

Silver badge

"There is only one definition of heavy drinking I agree with"

My favorite: "You're too drunk if you can't hang onto the ground with both hands." ☺

Silver badge

Not entirely true

cheaper tax, has helped those 4% beers appear on the bars of the country (along with no pre-reduction on the consumer end)

Silver badge

In olden times small beer was drunk by children
And the women of the household. While Brande's early 19th C figure is 1.28% alcohol by volume, second washings I've made have been ~3–3.5% so much small beer could have been 2–3 times as strong. For comparison Brande's numbers had London porter at 4.2%, the more expensive “stout” porter was 6.8% , and the famously powerful Burton ale was 8.88%.

Interestingly, the chap who lent me the money to go to university in 1969 was a Methodist and therefore teetotal. However, he and his family drank copious quantities of homemade ginger beer and were often noticeably tiddly by bed-time.

Silver badge

'Moderate' drinking = a lot less than that. On the other hand 'real' drinking = 'Darling, that was an amazing bottle of Petrus, fancy a glass of Armagnac before bed?'

vir
Bronze badge

"A man is never drunk if he can lay on the ground without holding on."

Anonymous Coward

The 275 mL beer is currently retailing for £50 ($81) online.

F*** off!

What happened to cheap craft beer?

Silver badge

"What happened to cheap craft beer?"

Hipsters.

Bronze badge

"There is something in this more expensive wine makarky. I thoroughly recommend it."

I think you mean there's something missing from the expensive wine,... Sulfites. They are added as an anti-oxidant and preservative, and sweeter wines need more, so the fruity Australians probably have a higher content than your CNdP, which tastes like a pair of old leather sandals.

Silver badge

"Not recently, there have been tax breaks in the UK for lower ABV brews, and these are proving quite popular."

Well, now that beer is a health drink and proper consumption could save the NHS beeelions per year, maybe the VAT and duty should be abolished?

Bronze badge

Excellent, I shouldn't have any heart problems at all until the year 2220

Silver badge
Pint

Cider!

I will drink my two-a-day, and have them count towards my five-a-day.

Silver badge

Re: Cider!

Only one of your five can be in the form of juice IIRC.

Sorry...

Silver badge
Go

Well my wine is obviously made from grapes, and the bottle says hints of dark cherry, blueberry and raisin, with a sweet raspberry finish.

So that's all 5 in a single drink!

TRT
Silver badge

What does Buckfast count as?

Silver badge

We all know that proper cider is served with bits in.

"What does Buckfast count as?"

One of your five fights a day

Pint

What does Buckfast count as? - Buckall.

Pint

Yeah, that's going to happen

I look forward to the governement campaign promoting drinking. Suspect I may have a long wait.....

Bronze badge

Re: Yeah, that's going to happen

Wait till they realise how much tax there is on Alcohol ...

Don't worry - the blue-noses will fund a study that shows us the evils of alcohol consumption long before that happens. Expect it late this year, just in time to ruin Christmas.

Silver badge
Pint

"Wait till they realise how much tax there is on Alcohol ..."

too late.

(I prefer microbrew ales like the ones made by Carl Strauss)

Silver badge

Saving the country money *and* boosting the economy now

But the evidence seems compelling: if we must eat "five a day", shouldn't we also drink "two a day"?

If I'm a bit short of cash, can I get these on the NHS? After all, prevention is better than cure.

Perscription

Can't wait to get my 2 pints on a daily perscription

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Prescription

Me: Doctor, you've got to help me, I'm too poor to afford my RDA of booze!

Doctor: OMG, nurse, fire up the emergency keg, stat!

Nurse: Charging glass. Clear!

Doctor: He's not responding. Give me 70 cc's of Glenmorangie!

Re: Prescription

Is your doctor taking any new patients?

Silver badge

Re: Perscription

"Can't wait to get my 2 pints on a daily perscription"

They'll probably class it as individual prescriptions per "dose" and refuse to fill a 30 day prescription.

Silver badge

Re: Is your doctor taking any new patients?

Yes, but the bouncers are only letting one in every 20 minutes.

Silver badge
Pint

My Goodness

"Guinness is Good for You"

Anonymous Coward

Re: My Goodness

Also works quite well as a meal replacement. Forget all those protein shakes beloved of gym bunnies.

Anonymous Coward

"Guinness is Good for You"

It was quite common a few decades ago for people to be told by their doctor to drink milk stout when recuperating from an illness. Bernard Miles was the face of Mackeson's tv advertising with the catchphrase "It looks good, tastes good and, by golly, it does you good".

Silver badge

@AC Mackeson's ad

""It looks good, tastes good and, by golly, it does you good"."

I seem to recall that in more recent times they had to change that to "It looks good, tastes good and, by golly, it IS good". - weren't allowed to claim medicinal properties or something. (like all those old cigarette ads that claimed they were good for your throat!)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017