back to article Bloke, 48, accused of whaling two US tech leviathans out of $100m

Evaldas Rimasauskas, a 48-year-old Lithuanian man, has been charged with defrauding two major US-based internet companies for more than $100m through whaling attacks. Rimasauskas, from Vilnius, was arrested late last week by Lithuanian authorities on the basis of a provisional arrest warrant, according to the US Department of …

"whaling (like phishing, but bigger)"

What is the cut off where whaling starts and phishing ends?

Coat

Re: "whaling (like phishing, but bigger)"

Sorry, there isn't one, it's just a red herring.

Silver badge
Joke

Ask captain Ahab...

Silver badge
Coat

I don't know, you'd have to ask a FinTech expert.

Anonymous Coward

There's a time and a plaice for these jokes.

Silver badge

But you have to admit it is one that is ealily made and any way most people codn't care less

Silver badge

@BebopWeBop Oh, you're just floundering now. Good Cod, man, stop being so shellfish.

So many weak fishy puns.... so little self-control.... must apologise...

Silver badge

when you're called Ishmael?

Silver badge
Coat

But the puns must be made, for the sheer halibut! Give in to your bass desires.

But yeah, no need to carp on about it, or else you'll have people wanting your head on a pike.

Silver badge

Stop blubbering man!

Silver badge

There's something wrong here ....

It seems to me that there should also be some jail time for the responsible financial staff in each of the two affected companies - after all, on average they've failed in their duty to their employers and shareholders to the tune of $50M each.

Gold badge
Unhappy

The "hi tech" version of the old "pro forma invoice" scam?2

"Hello, yes there's been a terrible mixup. You've sent your payments to the wrong account. It needs to go to...."

Possible 20yrs of Jail.

IE $5m/year.

Anyone else wondering what happened to the money?

Silver badge

Re: The "hi tech" version of the old "pro forma invoice" scam?2

Er, he's facing a maximum of 82 years inside, Merkins don't do concurrent sentences.

Re: The "hi tech" version of the old "pro forma invoice" scam?2

We DO do concurrent sentences; wawp wawp wawp

No comment from Greenpeace?

Silver badge

What surprises me is how long such scams can run and go unnoticed*

Admittedly, not on the same scale or finesse, nowhere near, but this one ran for 6 or 7 years :

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/thieving-school-secretary-told-repay-35k/story-19578327-detail/story.html

Apparently, an example of the scam was that upto 50 pupils (their parents) paid £15 for a "day trip" , the secretary kept the cash and school funds paid out the coach firm. And nobody noticed, nor asked questions about the payments, relatively large at a smallish school.

* In respect of a largish firm, a commercial organisation, besides the financial employees one would also have to ask questions about the Auditors. Yet again.

Gold badge
Unhappy

"the secretary kept the cash and school funds paid out the coach firm."

Note that's £35K over 7 years

What you have here is the classic "single person of trust" in a small firm story.

"We've never had a problem, we trust him/her implicitly."

Proper accounting systems don't need trust.

They need separation of authority from request generation and regular oversight. Good systems cannot be gamed without significant collusion, not just one person inside the company.

Silver badge

Re: What surprises me is how long such scams can run and go unnoticed*

Actually, my favourite was the one last week about the lifeboat charity treasurer who ebay'd the charity's equipment, including their lifeboat...

"Greedy treasurer jailed for selling sea rescue charity's lifeboat on eBay" [telegraph.co.uk]"

I mean, how did they not notice? How far out in the towering waves were they before they realised there wasn't actually a boat under them?

Silver badge

Where's the money now?

Silver badge

chain

Way down the financial sign off food chain, some lowly clerk who was only allowed to deal with "small sums" would likely be fired if they got fooled by a fraud of a few grand.

But when someone at the top screws up and loses stupid amounts of cash to fraud, all too often there is no penalty for them to pay.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

I'm innocent

I learnt all my techniques for hiding my ill gotten gains from the tax avoidance minimising strategies of the Murrican Tech $MEGACORPs

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018