back to article May is the cruellest month - especially for these California storage techies

The state of California's Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) system shows that 68 DSSD staff are being laid off. Dell closed down its high-performance NVME solid state drive and fabric connected DSSD D5 array earlier this month because there was an insufficient market for the product. At the time Dell said …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have known of firms who have laid off 99 people every three months and one day to avoid triggering this type of thing. Guess Dell were just in a hurry.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I just wonder if those poor people have been notified, or if they discovered it on the site before being told.

The latter would definitely be a case of adding insult to injury.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly a lot of folks watch the site

I worked at Symantec for years and it was the best way to discover when the next purging of the herd would be. You can't be 100% assured all the time, but in many cases it was far more truthful/reliable than our bosses were!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They were told - employees were notified well before the Reg or the State - and they did receive decent packages. Having survived quite a few of these "actions" at EMC, I'd say they were treated as well as anyone can be treated under the circumstances... it's sad that so much talent was lost, though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like