back to article Microsoft wants you to plan a new generation of legacy systems

Microsoft last year promised a new “Premium Assurance” product to provide security updates for Windows Server and SQL Server for an additional six years. And now it's delivered: Premium Assurance went on sale as of last week with incentives to cough up sooner rather than later. Redmond's support arrangements typically see it …

1. a_yank_lurker

Meaning?

Could this be a sign of market weakness that Slurp is scrounging for some money now figuring its not likely to get much in the future? 'Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush'

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Meaning?

"Could this be a sign of market weakness that Slurp is scrounging for some money now figuring its not likely to get much in the future?"

And if it spends the money now who's going to support the product so far into the future? If I were spending this I'd want to see the escrow arrangements for all that code.

Re: Meaning?

A downvote from someone who's clearly not sufficiently paranoid to be a system administrator.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. richardcox13

Re: MS wants us to pay them gobs of money...

> Hey MS, you can blow me!

How your client's must benefit from your professionalism, but you would rather hide...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Window Cleaners...

In the UK at least, you're taught never to pay Window Cleaners in advance to sort out dirty Windows. Same should apply to Microsoft.

Things change. You have to ask yourself, could you have predicted the software mix / hardware mix, ratios in use today - 6 years in advance? The Window locks are bad enough already.

4. K.o.R

> when serverless computing has shown us that operating systems aren't all they're cracked up to be

Please elaborate?

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Joke

It's cloud innit? There really aren't any servers, just fluffy PowerPoint presentations.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice operating system you've got there...

... be a shame if anything happened to it.

Re: Nice operating system you've got there...

Nice?

6. Dwarf

Satnad trainees under Ellison

Either they have woken up to the fact that customer dictate their refresh cycles, or it's another strong sign that Microsoft have realised that they are dying out as nobody is willingly buying their product any more, so they are looking for new opportunities to screw their customers

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Satnad trainees under Ellison

"looking for new opportunities to screw their customers hostages"

Fixed it for you...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The worst part (IMO)

Is that this service is very likely mostly going to be used by governments. You know: those big overseeing agencies which are all too eager to scoop up your taxes because they need their money income. Desperately. For example to sustain their XP machines for yet another few years (I'm not joking here; it has become well known that areas within the Dutch government still operate with Windows XP).

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: The worst part (IMO)

The Dutch Government still using XP is slightly less worrying than the UK's nuclear subs still using (a customised version of) XP.

"the UK's nuclear subs still using (a customised version of) XP."

Windows for Warships again?

I doubt they're on the net.

1. EnviableOne

XP embedded is still supported through 2019 and The MOD Version has direct support from Reading/Redmond

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We call it the NHS.

8. Duncan Macdonald

Factory automation

For factories with PC controlled equipment, this could be very wothwhile. No one wants to throw out a half million quid piece of equipment because its controlling PC is running an obsolete OS. Many factories have W98 PCs running standalone machines which is acceptable if they are not networked. Modern equipment however is designed to be networked so long term support is highly desired.

1. Arctic fox
      Windows

@Duncan Macdonald Re: Factory automation

Well done. A thoughtful and intelligent comment instead of the all too usual anti-Redmond hateboi auto-howling. It is precisely in that area where that type of "insurance" is in fact worthwhile. In one of our laboratories we had (it has now after many many years loyal service gone to the great scrapyard in the sky) a high pressure liquid chromatography rig that would have cost an arm and a leg to replace, was still doing sterling service and did not need networking. As a result it ran with Win2k Pro (I kid you not) for its entire service. However, our new one needs networking and the extra 6 years support would be highly worthwhile. There is an significant area (as you point out) where keeping the OS going for an extra 6 years would in fact be a significant advantage. Although of course in other circumstances that would not be the case.

1. usbac Silver badge

Re: @Duncan Macdonald Factory automation

@Arctic Fox

I understand completely. I just a few weeks ago loaded two new/referb PCs with Win XP for the wife. Both were for their HPLCs. Their software won't work on Windows 7 or above due to special hardware and drivers. Both HPLCs work totally fine, and would be over $80K each to replace.

Both are networked to be able to print to network printers and to offload data, but they were told not to browse the internet from these PCs. Not much of a problem since they only have IE6, and most of the internet in inaccessible anyway.

They also have several GC/MS's that are XP only. They are in the neighborhood of $120K each to replace. Many of these device live on for decades past the end of support for their Windows OS. It's too bad all of the instrument manufacturers don't make a Linux version of the software. It would be easier to support.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Factory automation

A very valid point, but often you get in to a situation where you can't get drivers for the old OS to run new hardware (that happens in every OS by the way).

Problem here is it looks to be security updates only, so unless MS pressure the OEMs to support an older OS' HAL for new hardware, you don't get the advantage of an easy fix for failed hardware. I still use W2K in a VM for some old (and expensive) CAD software to get round this, but I have the luxury of not needing special HW drivers, so the VM delivers never-dying hardware.

But for any such restricted use, you really, REALLY, want to keep them of t'Internet. Privative VLANs only and damn few user's PC/phones/IoT-shit/etc on them...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like