back to article Nintendo Switch orders delayed: Dun dun dun... dundundun dundundun dadada!

Gamers desperate to play on their new Nintendo Switches this weekend may have to wait a bit longer, with many reporting their preorders have been delayed. The device was due to be shipped today (March 3) priced at $299.99, £279.99 and ¥29,980. However, Twitter and internet forums are replete with disappointed thumb-twitchers …

1. Kaltern

Nintendo in not-enough-consoles-sold-at-launch-so-will-delay-until-they-do scandal.

I applaud their continual attempts to innovate and provide family friendly fun. However missplaced that may be.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First World Problems

"They were both listed as "shipped awaiting ups pickup" since noon. Naturally, I proceeded to lose my mind.""

3. Dan McIntyre

Not be unable?

"...disappointed thumb-twitchers complaining they will not be unable to experience the much-anticipated new Zelda..."

So they will be able?

4. wolfetone Silver badge
    Trollface

I Don't Care

I just don't care about these people who are crying that their Nintendo Switch isn't coming today.

Some of us with a Wii U have to wait till Tuesday to get the new Zelda game. THAT is more upsetting.

5. Stevie

Bah!

Fragile lot, gamers, eh?

6. tmagic
    Happy

Somebody is lying

Nintendo told me yesterday that my console had been dispatched via Royal Mail for next day delivery.

Nintendo told me today to expect my console next Wednesday.

(Royal Mail tell me that the tracking number I've been given does not exist)

It's one thing to not have enough consoles to meet demand, it's another to tell people they have been dispatched when they haven't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Somebody is lying

First off, yes, they may have lied.

Separately from that, it isn't unusual to be given a tracking number a long time before Royal Mail is even in possession of your parcel - whenever I buy books on hive.co.uk (no shares owned, I don't work for them, etc) I usually get given a tracking number by hive, which only later becomes a valid tracking number on royal mails tracking website.

Something about hive.co.uk having a bulk deal with royal mail I guess, where maybe their tracking numbers are pre-allocated?

7. Zmodem

buy an xperia z+ phone, they are better, and been doing everything a switch can do for the past 4 years, with better games, and all the PC ports the switch will have no chance of ever getting, and you can play your playstation 4 remotely over 3/4G and wifi

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

re: with better games

Nice one! Ta!

8. eJ2095

Well

i just wondered over to smyths toys and bought it

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Well

Did you dodge the green turtle shells and bananas in the car park?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, but I did threw a red turtle shell while eating mushrooms in the car park.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

"i just wondered "

What did you think?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big fan of Nintendo but what are they doing with the Switch?

Not enough games at launch.

No Mario Odyssey

No Mario Kart till end of April and it's 8 Deluxe whatever that means.

Massively overpriced, no cheaper in the bundles. Controllers cost an arm and a leg.

Currently can't find a compelling argument to get one.

If I did though I can click and collect at Argos now so there can't be that much of a shortage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You forgot to mention it's got a tegra spec phone chipset meaning it's games pretty much duck.

1. Halfmad

I honestly don't think that massively matters for most Nintendo fans, it's almost part of their styling to lag behind other consoles and 15 years behind the PC and it never seems to do them much harm.

Most of their games are about game play though, fair play to them.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Launch demand issues... Your kidding me, marketing 101

And already done by just about everyone.

I know people want stuff but throwing money at companies makes you look like a pussy.

Buy one at your leisure after a week or two .. keep those marketing stats guys guessing. Respect your buying power...it's all you have!

*You're....sorry

11. Cobug

Not gloating

Got mine this morning, sounds like this may be a retailer/carrier issue rather than Nintendo.

12. Dan 55 Silver badge

The Register has asked Nintendo for a comment.

Don't waste your time, this is Nintendo we're talking about. You'll have more luck with Apple.

1. PaulR79
      Coat

Re: The Register has asked Nintendo for a comment.

Why would Apple be able to comment on Nintendo's products?

I'm going, I'm going!

13. cdilla

Here

I got the Royal Mail emails telling me my Switch and Zelda would be delivered 5th-7th March, but both arrived today - one via Hermes and the other via Royal Mail.

Not that I'll have time to play for a few hours yet.

1. Dabooka

Re: Here

I think you've been sent in tmagic's error

14. DrXym

Nintendo always do this

They limit supply in order to drive up the hype and demand.

The best way to play their game is not to play at all. Wait until they stop the shenanigans and then walk into any shop and just buy one. The time also helps decide if its worth buying with the benefit of other people's opinions on the hardware and choice of games. If its like the Wii U it might fall on its arse and never recover.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nintendo always do this

We have a winner! Let's read this again, shall we?

They limit supply in order to drive up the hype and demand.

This is classic Nintendo. Also, if there are any competing platforms they will strong-arm the sales channels into giving up prime shelf space and basically do anything up to setting fire to the other consoles, to make their own (lower tech) consoles seem attractive. Meanwhile, we already have better games, and this is just another tablet that can magically play a game from 1985 FFS; Mario Brothers. Fucking *YAWN!!1! * Holy shit, I think I already have 8 copies of this game on older platforms that still plug into my TV and work great. Let me guess, next will be Mario Kart 9, or will they surprise all the kiddie-gamers and call it Mario Kart IX? What a con job on Cornjob! Wait and buy this machine in the used bin next year for $99, by then they will have released a fourth or fifth title for this hyped tablet. Remember Mario on iOS? Neither do I.

I stopped with the Nintendo scams when they failed to make the DSi any better, rather I was expected to go out and get ANOTHER crap handheld; 3DSi-XL Maxi Lite Pretty Metallic Blue you can only preorder from GameStop, or some such bullshit. Here's a clue; make a game, release it, then I'll go and buy it, if it does not smell like shit. Deal? This is Nintendo; the game maker that failed to offer any CD system, and the DVD based ones can't play any DVD movies like every other console can. The console maker that still releases cartridges FFS. The people who brought you; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy ! What garbage. Glad to sit and watch idiots wait for games on the Wii2U Super Console of Fun and What Is This Thing For? The same dopes now standing in line for a marginal piece of hardware that would absolutely fall down and cry if it tried to run GTA V, and a re-released game from 1985! Good work, idiots!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Nintendo BS?

"Mario Brothers. [..] I think I already have 8 copies [..] Let me guess, next will be Mario Kart 9 [by next year] they will have released a fourth or fifth title."

Gamer: "What kind of games do you have available for the Switch?"

Nintendo: "Oh, we got both kinds. We got Mario *and* Zelda!"

15. Moosh

The real question

Is when are they going to release the next Monster Hunter on it?

I'm sick of playing MH on such a gimped console like the 3DS. Don't get me wrong, its great for games like pokemon and the like, but for something like MH, you really need better controls and a larger, higher res screen.

16. Banksy
    Trollface

I'm ok

Ordered mine just before 6pm yesterday evening direct from Nintendo UK. Arrived at lunch time today. Weekend of Zelda sorted.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Argos managed to deliver ...

My daughter got her Nintendo Switch today. She's excited.

Me ? Maybe I'm an old fart , but until I get a racing car sim that makes me really think I've been let loose in Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes I don't guess I'm that bothered by yet another console.

To get the "I can't believe its not an F1 car" effect, I guess I'd need something even better than HTC Vive, a fire-breathing-gaming-pc (with several very expensive graphics cards) and a strap-in-seat with steering wheel, pedals, etc that could chuck me around violently to hopefully simulate the G force.

So I guess I'll be waiting a while before I get that for many reasons. technical, cost or having enough space for the big seat that can chuck me around.

18. Planty Bronze badge
    WTF?

Not enough supply?

Despite all the cancelled preorders?

Did they make 100 units?

19. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

For those who have been living under a rock, the Switch is a hybrid console

Yup , thats me.

Although i did , and still do , play too much video games , ive never owned a console. prefer a computer , so you can piss around with the games more

1. Cuddles

Hybrid console

"For those who have been living under a rock, the Switch is a hybrid console"

For those who have been living under that much of a rock, it may be worth being a little more specific about what that actually means - it's a tablet with a dock. Being even more specific, it's an Nvidia Tegra-powered tablet that's effectively equivalent to an update of the Nvidia Shield, but the controller can detach and it's very slightly more convenient to plug into your TV. The only thing anyone buying it actually cares about is that it has Zelda, and will probably have Mario and Metroid soon.

20. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Not bothered...

I'm playing Horizon : Zero Dawn on my PS Pro and 4k UHD tv.

It's awesome!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like