back to article Oracle reveals more rounded Australian *aas

Oracle has flicked the switch on everything-as-a-service in Australia. Big Red has offered software-as-a-service in Australia since 2012. Yesterday it turned on infrastructure-as-a-service and platform-as-a-service (IaaS and PaaS) too, splashing down its servers in a third-party bit barn rather than build its own. HPE adopted …

1. Lou 2
    Meh

Nothing to see here - move along.

No comments - OK move along then - so much for pent up interest.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some work needed

I did a trial of the Oracle DBaaS and JCS (Java Cloud Services) in early January.

UI is nicer and more intuitive than AWS, but I had a hell of a time actually getting it to work - took me almost ten days to get a database instance installed and started with intervention from multiple levels of support (after escalation through personal contacts that "normal users" would not have had). Then another 3 working days to get a JCS instance to install.

I was assured that I had experienced the "perfect storm" of routing issues between VLANs, a botched UI update, some firewall rule issues, and had exposed a bug in the IP addressing reservation system. Maybe it was a series of unfortunate coincidences, but I know I could have stood up the same platforms on AWS in less than an hour.

Even though we are an Oracle partner (hence anon) we deployed the 300+ VMs we are standing up for a client on a different IaaS platform and I can't really say I'll be recommending Oracle Cloud to my customers based on personal experience.

3. RudderLessIT

Never Ever

Having experienced the joy of Oracle harassment to obtain licensing payment for 10 users, I could not imagine what a user of their cloud environment would go through.

So I would still recommend Azure & AWS, before other offerings.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like