back to article Grumpy Trump trumped, now he's got the hump: Muslim ban beaten back by appeals court

President Trump has suffered a serious blow to his authority following a decision by a court of appeals against his controversial travel ban. Late Thursday, the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco denied an emergency motion to lift an injunction against the ban, which restricted people from seven Muslim-majority countries from …

vir
Bronze badge

"SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!"

To which the ACLU replied:

"We have been saying this for a while."

Bronze badge

Re: "SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!"

Ploy all along, I think he knew it wouldn't fly, that it'd get struck down, but now, it's not his fault, he's tried, he's done what he said he would on the campaign trail, and the elite have stopped him, the liberals are holding the nations safety back. It plays into his narrative perfectly.

FAIL

I disagree. He promised he'd keep 'America safe'. If a terrorist attack happens now, no matter what the reason, he'll have failed to keep one of his biggest and boldest campaign promises.

He made the promise, it's up to him to keep it within the bounds of the law and the Constitution of the United States.

Add to the that his wall probably won't even start to be built for several years, he'll be hard pushed to win another term (assuming Congress doesn't see an opportunity to impeach his ass before then, in a shameless attempt to look reasonable to the electorate before the mid-terms).

His popularity is already tanking, and it isn't even a month in and has a major judicial showdown AND and embarrassing military failure under his belt; it's altogether not looking good for the orange buffoon. He was already looking weak and ineffectual and this 3-0 appellate court decision against him makes it even worse and further solidifies the fact you can't rule by EOs and PMs alone.

Anonymous Coward

But to what end? Now Trump has blown his load early, he's got nothing to do but twiddle his thumbs for 4 years.

Gold badge

Uh...what? "He made the promise, it's up to him to keep it within the bounds of the law and the Constitution of the United States."

Stop right there, buddy. That's not how this works. Trump made promises. Trump drained the swamp. Trump shook up Washington. Everything that didn't happen exactly as he said it would is because of obstruction by disgusting progressive liberals who hate America. The only way to make America great again is to elect Trump a second time. And then a third! And a fourth! Never elect someone who is not Trump!

This thing where you think Trump voters are going to look at Trump's record as though he hast o play by any rules whatsoever is...wrong. That simply isn't how his base performs communes with alternate facts.

Gold badge

"But to what end? Now Trump has blown his load early, he's got nothing to do but twiddle his thumbs for 4 years."

There is plenty he hasn't ruined yet. Give him time.

Bronze badge

"I disagree. He promised he'd keep 'America safe'. If a terrorist attack happens now, no matter what the reason, he'll have failed to keep one of his biggest and boldest campaign promises."

But that's my entire point, anything goes wrong and he points to the immigration ban not being inplace (even if it transpires they're from Jersey) - that's his level and the level he's playing to, everything else is alternative facts and fake news.

Gold badge

"everything else is alternative facts and fake news"

And? So? What does that mean?

If the people whose votes actually matter only care about alternative facts and fake news then why does the truth, evidence or actual facts matter? Have you even read 1984? It has some lessons about how you can run a post-truth nation that I think you missed.

I promise you: Steve Bannon didn't miss those lessons at all.

Silver badge

Well, what this shows us is that the man has no interest in governing. He's still campaigning.

Remember, he doesn't have to answer any difficult questions about what he does. Because the only media his base believes is the media that he, or his henchmen, directly and personally control. They've been taught that everything else is fake and lies, so it simply doesn't matter what any half-way neutral reporter or outlet says.

Anonymous Coward

I guess you were not paying attention to the media during the election, or any other time.

98 out of 100 of the top publications in the US were opposing trump. Just were do you think you can find even 'half-way neutral' reporting?

Silver badge

"But that's my entire point, ..."

And it should a valid point - but isn't in this context.

Your point relies entirely on there being at least one iota of rational thought in the Prez and/or his fanbase. Sadly, this isn't so.

Define opposing Trump.

Do you mean that they portrayed him and a misogynistic, racist, bigoted serial liar, then you are wrong they didn't portray him like that, he did.

Any commentary from the press say he was/is not fit for president was just stating the bleeding obvious.

If you define Trump's base as those who'll stand by their man now matter what, then where are they now? Why aren't they out there supporting his sagging poll numbers? If he can't constantly stick it to the liberals and win, win, win, he'll keep losing the confidence of those who make up his base. And his casual supporters will abandon his unpopular extremism and turn to insider team players like Ryan and McConnell to get things done.

Silver badge
Unhappy

"it plays into his narrative perfectly"

Don't forget the supreme court challenge. that's next. Nobody thought the leftist liberal elitists would lay down and allow Trump to have his presidency, and this is just an example of what's to come, it seems. George Soros has a LOT of pocket change to disrupt everything and create the chaos into which loudmouthed liberals can "take charge" and dismantle what freedoms we have left... by ABusing the legal system.

Silver badge

Nobody thought the leftist liberal elitists would lay down and allow Trump to have his presidency

Yes. Those masked hitmen were all ready to swing into action. Time and again we thought that would be the real solution, as everyone said at the time. Yet somehow not a shot was fired and Trump ascended safely to the pinnacle of his dreams. Those goddamn lily-livered yellow liberals just chickened out, didn't they, Bob? They just couldn't give the kill order, not like a True American would.

Silver badge

Just were do you think you can find even 'half-way neutral' reporting?

Perhaps they are neutrally reporting that this is a clusterfuck?

Neutral means publishing articles based on the complete range of facts available, not bending the article's text to be neutral even though the facts don't back this up.

Anonymous Coward

"... 98 out of 100 of the top publications in the US were opposing trump. Just were do you think you can find even 'half-way neutral' reporting?"

I'm not sure you understand what neutral means: It does not mean that 50% has to be in favor and 50% against any batshit crazy idea...

Silver badge
Coat

"even if it transpires they're from Jersey"

It's the bastards from Sark you should worry about...

Silver badge

Calm down Trevor. Perhaps you should go and sit in a darkend room for a while?

Trump can't be elected for more than two terms. That is the law and even a GOP controlled congress would want to repeal that given their antipathy of the current TWIC (Tweeter in Chief).

There is still lots of things he can do to in his words 'shake up America'. Other people will see it as destroying the american way of life. I know that many of my american friends are looking at leaving.

If the TWIC does not like the ruling then he can as he said, see them in court. That is due process but I do get the feeling that he'll lose the case as it currently stands. There are many organistations ready to take him on in a legal battle.

As the americans say, 'Popcorn time'.

Silver badge

"98 out of 100 of the top publications in the US were opposing trump. Just were do you think you can find even 'half-way neutral' reporting?"

You can't. He's a "for us or against us" type of guy. To him, there is no neutral.

Silver badge

"Trump can't be elected for more than two terms."

That's assuming they don't just tear up the Constitution and stage a coup. After all, laws in the end are just ink on a page.

Silver badge

Would that Mr Soros had that power, but his spending ability falls far below the Kochs and Wall family etc. I guess the liberals are giving Trump as much hassle as the far right gave Obama. It's called politics.

The cynic in me says that the Donald will attempt to issue an EO that allows religious discrimination. That worked out well in Germany, and he seems to be going down the same route.

What you are missing is that the muppets who voted for Trump WERE NOT READING THE TOP PUBLICATIONS.

They were reading the tin-hatter alternative fact media.

I love your sarcasm. Shame it's too subtle for the morons you're directing it at. Keep words to one syllable or less and avoid apostrophes at all costs.

Change TWIC to TWIT and I'm with you.

Silver badge

"even if it transpires they're from Jersey"

I didn't know the Channel Islands were a hotbed of terrorism.

Silver badge

Whoosh.

Silver badge

Ploy all along, I think he knew it wouldn't fly, that it'd get struck down

There are several problems with this:

• the way the order was drafted and communicated
  • the attacks on the judiciary
  • but, most importantly, he's not running for election: the campaign is over
He no longer needs the votes of the saps who voted for him in November. But he is going to need cross-party support in Congress to pursue his agenda, which may include attempts to reduce the powers of both the legislature and the judiciary, and the courts, particularly the Supreme Court, to get anything done. And this is going to be the biggest challenge: popularity contests and nowtrage aside, at some point things like a budget and raising of the debt ceiling have to be done. Appeal to the base at the moment have no effect. The attempts to discredit the media will continue but with the courts that's going to be more difficult and the US setup is specifically there to prevent rule by decree.

Campaign mode might resume next year in the run up to the mid-terms with the hope of gaining a super majority in the Senate to push for constitutional change, which is clearly what Bannon, et al. are after. Trump, as ever, just wants to be popular.

Silver badge

"Trump can't be elected for more than two terms.". Yes that*s a problem but could explain his admiration for that guy in North Korea and Putin. A strong leader is a leader for life no doubt.

Yes, you are right, Soros and a handful others own all the mainstream news media and the politicians in Europe.

They lost the US president as their lackey, but then still have a rear guard of judges and Republican traitors on their payroll. It is not over until all these catalysts of evil are stopped in their tracks.

The replies in this thread show, they still manage to shepherd the opinion of the ignorant quite well.

Bronze badge

by ABusing the legal system.

I see - so, enforcing the law is abusing the legal system. I think we can all see where you are coming from (and going).

@Trevor - Tongue in cheek much?

You disagreed with @Sampler, then reiterated his point. My head is spinning.

Anonymous Coward

"They just couldn't give the kill order, not like a True American would."

They should have asked Barry. He has no problem with assassinating US citizens as long as he can use drones.

"Ploy all along, I think he knew it wouldn't fly, that it'd get struck down, but now, it's not his fault, he's tried, he's done what he said he would on the campaign trail, and the elite have stopped him, the liberals are holding the nations safety back. It plays into his narrative perfectly."

For any normal politician this would be both perfect and correct. But Trump is neither normal, nor a politician. His personality cannot tolerate the impression that he might be wrong, or might have failed at something. Well, at least not unless it's somebody else's fault.

"Trump drained the swamp."

Seen his tax returns? Trump is the swamp.

Anonymous Coward

You're assuming that all Trump voters are people who read or watch the polarized media. He also needed the people who were so desperate to vote Outsider that they gave him a chance.

Anonymous Coward

>> Just were do you think you can find even 'half-way neutral' reporting?

Fox News? (2 words that don't naturally fit in the same sentence)

Oh hang on a sec... you said "neutral". I withdraw my answer

Anonymous Coward

>> What you are missing is that the muppets who voted for Trump WERE NOT READING THE TOP PUBLICATIONS.

They were reading the tin-hatter alternative fact media.

They can read? Huh. Who knew?

Anonymous Coward

these b*stards?

Anonymous Coward

"I'm not sure you understand what neutral means: It does not mean that 50% has to be in favor and 50% against any batshit crazy idea...".

Quite right. completely batshit crazy ideas are 52:48, not 50:50

Anonymous Coward

You are so right. This is what Americans really need to be afraid of. That Nazi fucker Bannon wants a war with China, thinks white christians are already in a global war against muslims (blacks hispanics and asians don't count for shit on his shoe in his universe unless they are indian geeks that code his websites). He's desperate for a war because it's the only way he can get around the checks and balances.

This ruling plays so nicely into his alternative facts narrative .. Despite the George W appointed judge who issued the stay AND the republican appointed judge on the appeal panel voting alongside his democrat appointed counterparts, the narrative is already: liberal elite judges appointed by commie-faggot-muslim-kenyan-born Obama supported by the Sorros-global-jewish-conspiracy-cabal are thwarting the WILL OF THE SHEEPLE (seriously, if you want to shoot yourself, read some of the nutbrained crap output from the wacko conspiracy theorists and obscure, barely vaguely concealed neo nazi white supermacist "thinkers" that inform the likes of Bannon, Miller and Trump)

You can just see him playing to Trumps narcissism and need for control... "the only way we can drain the swamp Mr President is to get emergency powers. Murica is broken with liberal scum able to block you through the courts and liberal scum media lying to slander you and make you unpopular. We need to show them all muslims are dangerous and evil." And off Bannon will go and concoct some massive atrocity committed by muslims from some of those countries forcing a supine repub congress to grant the president extra-ordinary powers. (Not in jersey though .. Trump thinks jersey is full of illegal hispanics who cheered in their hundreds of thousands when the twin towers came down so he doesn't give 2 fucks and pussy grab for anyone there.)

Then the courts will be ignored and all but fox, breibart and other batshit crazy right wing media will be gagged. Heil Bannon!!!

Gold badge

There is more than one Trump.

Dynasties. They're a thing.

Silver badge

> The only way to make America great again is to elect Trump a second time. And then a third! And a fourth! Never elect someone who is not Trump!

One of the commentators on the inauguration said that it was great to see that 4 past presidents had attended, and also that the next 4 presidents were there (as his children walked in).

@Bombastic Bob: Why should they? The Republicans did not exactly roll over and let Obama have everything he wanted, did they?

I think there was even a shutdown of government, but hey, my impression as an outsider is that the system is designed like that :-)

Silver badge

Dynasties. They're a thing.

Sorry Trevor, perhaps you missed half the purpose of this past election. Clinton/Bush, it doesn't matter, we're done.

Silver badge

"any half-way neutral reporter or outlet says."

Are there any of those left in the US?

Silver badge

"Don't forget the supreme court challenge."

Hey Buob, where do you stand on the Obama BIRTH certificate issue? Or did you NEVER acknowledge he was actually THE PRESIDENT?

Trumped

I can't help but feel this is over almost before it began. Even the people that took Trump seriously will have a hard time doing it now.

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017