back to article More tech companies join anti-Trump battle, but why did some pay for his inauguration?

More tech companies have added their names to the legal brief against President Trump's immigration ban, but some big names – including Amazon, Google and Microsoft – are facing accusations of rampant hypocrisy for funding his inauguration. On a special webpage created by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco to …

1. Ramazan
    Facepalm

"More tech companies join anti-Trump battle, but why did some pay for his inauguration?"

WTF? These companies oppose one particular executive order, and not Trump in general.

1. Vector

Agreed. If they had made the contributions after the travel ban was instituted, charges of hypocrisy might be justified. Sequence of events is important here.

2. veti Silver badge

Breaking

A partial transcript of The Donald's early meeting with tech CEOs has emerged. This line might throw some light on why the tech leaders came out smiling:

"So it's agreed, then. You'll give me what money you can spare to make me look good, and whenever you decide to build anything or employ anyone in the USA over the next four years you'll give me credit. In return, I'll implement my immigration policies in such a haphazard and random way that they'll never stand up in court. All you have to do is challenge them, they'll be tied up for years and have no net effect. Do we have a deal?"

(Note: this is not true. The above quote is crude satire and obviously fabricated, although equally obviously it really does reflect what's going on. But please feel free, Democrats, to "leak" it, and Republicans, to blog about how Democrats are making up news.)

1. Tannin

Re: Breaking

Nice try but I'm not sure that satire works with Trump. I mean, the thing with satire is that it's supposed to be more ridiculous and unbeleviable than the real thing. No-one seems to have figured out how to do that yet.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Ah yes, Poe's law

2. hplasm
        Happy

Sir Humphrey- is that you, working in the US now?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
          Trollface

Of course it is. The best way to weaken an enemy is from the inside:

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

And the best way to weaken an enemy from the inside is polonium.

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

These companies oppose one particular executive order, and not Trump in general

Which makes them collaborators. Anyone who works with the enemy, for any reason...

2. ma1010
    Holmes

This is surprising because?

I expect that if you looked, you'd find many of these companies also contributed to Clinton's campaign. It's called hedging your bets. No matter who wins, you can point out you "supported" them in their run for office and now reasonably expect some quid pro quo.

Now that Trump is doing something that may affect their lucrative H1B visa program, one of several different ways Silly Valley bosses use to keep tech salaries depressed for U.S workers, they're suddenly up in arms against Trump because they see it costing them lots of additional $ in salaries, quite possibly more than any political favors they were hoping to gain from the new regime. Please don't try to convince me that any of this opposition to Trump from Silly Valley has much of anything to do with whether Trump is morally right or wrong about immigration. As far as those people are concerned, it's all about the bottom line and always will be, and they've demonstrated by their past actions that they are quite happy to sacrifice others' well being to benefit that bottom line, no matter how many billions they already have in the bank.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is surprising because?

"one of several different ways Silly Valley bosses use to keep tech salaries depressed for U.S workers"

Smells like an angry load of bullshit you got there. I am a US Tech Worker and I've never been charging as much as I am now. And I plan to raise my rates even further! When you have actual, valuable skills, no idiot managers, or so-called "silly" policies effect me or my ilk in any way what so ever. Try being valuable sometime. You might like it. But I do see your point, lower level workers are going to get the shaft. Tough luck.

You know how I zoomed past those other mid-level morons? I am not afraid to build any new server or service, and I can build them from 1st party docs and scratch. Not from searching Google for clues from people who are not really that good. Learning == Earning. I've met so many fucknuts who "won't touch that thing because I don't know it and fear the responsibility of ownership." Or the classic; "they don't pay me extra for that."

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

You know Anon, it's much easier to take people's claims of employable value seriously when they're prepared to put their own name to them. It does sound a bit like "I've got a 10 inch dick, just don't expect me to prove it" otherwise...

2. SundogUK Silver badge

What a complete and utter asswipe.

3. Bernard M. Orwell

"I am a US Tech Worker and I've never been charging as much as I am now.."

I recently posted, in another thread, my opinion on people who equate profit, especially at the expense of workers and others, with success. I think the maxim I suggested applies here.

Profit is not the sole measure of worth, yankee.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Happy

"Profit is not the sole measure of worth, yankee."

I thought the insult du jeur was snowflake or cupcake? Did I miss another memo? :-)

2. BillG
      Angel

"Hypocrisy is the new normal"

I don't think this is the whole story. There is something else going on behind the scenes here. If I had to guess, I'd say these tech companies object to Trump wanting to ensure that H-1B visa employees are paid the same as U.S. citizens.

3. Hollerithevo

Companies are not people.Their duty is to maximise their profitability, as they are responsible to their stockholders. If they thought greasing the political wheels with donations would help their company, they would and probably should. But of course they also have to look at how public opinion affects their profitability. Tricky balancing act.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They only object when it costs them money

Losing cheap foreign imported labour is impacting profits.

That's the only reason they give a fuck, not because of any moral conscience.

The Billionaire 1% don't have ethics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They only object when it costs them money

"The Billionaire 1% don't have ethics."

No shit, Sherlock. We have one of those assholes pretending to be our leader over here! The Plutocracy of the United States is still going strong. Call them Democrabs, or Repubicans, they are the same enemy of the people, funneling billions of dollars through K Street in DC to keep it that way. Bribery == Lobbying.

2. a_yank_lurker

Blowhard is against using immigrants to displace American workers whether they are illegal or legal. So if your business model and massive profits rely on using immigrants as defacto indentured servants you are going to be upset at Blowhard. He is threatening them where it really hurts - the wallet.

Now on the flip side, the lack of indentured servants artificially depressing US wages might give more jobs and money to Americans. This might be better for the economy overall because people who have money and confidence will spend money. Also, many of the 1% fail to grasp that their long term profits are based on people being able to afford their products and services. No income means no profits.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But those Americans wouldn't be working for Google - it was founded by an immigrant

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Facebook did not make a cash contribution. "

"However on or about the time we did misplace a large canvas bag of used unmarked bills somewhere in Washington..."

1. Captain DaFt

Re: "Facebook did not make a cash contribution. "

"However on or about the time we did misplace a large canvas bag of used unmarked bills somewhere in Washington..."

Does anyone besides petty thugs or cheap spies even do that anymore?

I thought these days it was more a transfer or bitcoins from one anonymous wallet to another.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most companies hedge their bets

And contribute to both sides. Probably because technology companies viewed Clinton more favorably in the first place, and many expected her to win, they had donated to her campaign and probably not so much to Trump's. Donating to the inauguration is a way of making up for that. Probably they wouldn't have donated as much to Clinton's if she'd won, since they'd already curried the necessary favor.

While corporations will complain about stuff that hurts their business, most try to remain apolitical other than that. I think you'll find most back both horses in a typical election (say Obama vs Romney 4 years ago) without any reservation.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Most companies hedge their bets

"Donating to the inauguration"

I find that quite puzzling to some extent, especially people having to buy a ticket to be allowed to attend. Surely this is a "state occasion" and therefore a federal expense to "put on a show" and anyone who wants to go should be allowed to. Ok, maybe for management or crowd control it might need to be ticketed, but they ought to be free on application, not a cost to people attending.

Is just capitalism at work? Or people with loud voices claiming their tax dollars ought not to be wasted on someone they didn't vote for?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And again McCarthy tries to ram the "Muslim ban" lie down our throats. Kieren, you can say it a million times and it still won't be true.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Muslim ban"

Yep, that pretty much nails it.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

It is a muslim ban

And once again, one of Big John's alternate facts can be easily disputed with less than 5 seconds of searching on Google.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Re: It is a muslim ban

Your link is utterly irrelevant. When the highest population muslim country in the world (Indonesia) is unaffected, how can it be a 'muslim ban'?

1. Shady

Re: It is a muslim ban

I doubt geography is his strong point. He probably doesn't know where Indonesia is on a map, how to spell it, how to pronounce it and couldn't tell an Indonesian from a Sylvanian

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Everyone from (7 predominantly Muslim countries) except religious minorities. Are you really unable to work out what that means?

If you are, congratulations, you're qualified to vote for Trump!

4. Hollerithevo

Muslims from certain countries

Trump is banning only the Muslims from seven countries. So this would mean a Muslim ban. The phrase doesn't have to mean every Muslim on the planet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Muslims from certain countries

When the phrase is used with no qualifiers, yes it does. You need to learn how language works.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seriously, what do you expect them to do?

Get together and engage in some sort of ritual suicide pact after Clinton lost?

No.

You pick up, move on, and work with the crap situation you have. Just like every other problem in life.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Seriously, what do you expect them to do?

If the bad guys take over, you do what you are expected to do: fight 'em until you can't.

That is what I expect them - and everyone else - to do. Full stop.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Seriously, what do you expect them to do?

Or you keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

I expect there is a lot of gritted teeth amongst a fair number of US CEO's at the moment.

They know that they will have to go along with the 'great dictator' otherwise they'll feel his wrath on Twitter and that won't do their stock price any good at all.

8. Dr Scrum Master

Am I the only one who finds it a little peculiar that companies fund the inauguration in the first place? Or is this a peculiarly American thing?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

No it used to happen in most African and Latin American countries as well, American companies usually made large contribution to the new president

2. Allan George Dyer

I'm struggling with that idea too, plus, what's this money being spent on? I'd expect the biggest item is security, and you won't want to leave that to "sponsorship". Putting seats out for the VIPs and the bunting doesn't take much, and I'd expect the contracts for the food stands and portaloos to be done well before the election date.

1. Alister
        Joke

Inauguration funding

I'm struggling with that idea too, plus, what's this money being spent on?

It's to pay for all the "Make America Great Again" Made in China Baseball caps and T shirts

9. User-1

Great story, but I'm waiting for the hoopla on the construction workers building the wall and have Mexican ancestry.

10. Slx

The US once again leads the world with the best democracy money can buy!

They're simply hedging their bets and expressing their sacred conditional freedom of speech expressed through huge wheelbarrow loads of cash.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"H1-B visa system that tech companies rely on for talent"

Isn't it "H1-B visa system that tech companies rely on for *cheaper workers*"

I would believe them when they don't discriminate people based on from the come from to pay lower wages. It's ugly just like discrimination based on gender, race and religion.

But after all, these are the same companies that built a cartel to pay tech people less - so no surprise they also root for someone like Trump secretly.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark USA.

12. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

Feeding the crocodile...

... in the hope that it eats you last.

Churchill's definition of Appeasement.

(T.May take note...)

13. Commswonk

Who's the hypocrit?

Never mind Corporate America funding the Inauguration, given The Donald's clearly expressed determination to drain the swamp of American politics in Washington why was he accepting donations in the first place, thus allowing the swamp to be topped up? Or will he claim "that he didn't know"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like