back to article Revealed: 'Suicide bomber Barbie' and other TSA quack science that cost $1.5 billion

From 2007 through 2015, the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) spent $1.5 billion trying to identify potentially dangerous travelers by observing their behavior through an ongoing program called SPOT. SPOT stands for "screening of passengers by observation techniques." And according to the TSA's own documents, …

Page:

1. QuiteEvilGraham
    FAIL

"TSA's behavior detection approach is designed to identify and engage individuals who may be high-risk (eg, possess malicious intent) on the basis of an objective process using behavioral indicators and thresholds, and then route them to additional security screening,"

That word "objective". I do not think it means what you think it means.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"identify and engage individuals who may be high-risk (eg, possess malicious intent) on the basis of an objective process using behavioral indicators and thresholds"

I know it doesn't mean what they say. Those are the individuals they appear to deliberately ignore so they can focus on children and the elderly.

The TSA is a jobs program for the otherwise unemployable - people who couldn't get jobs as mall security guards or Starbucks baristas.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"The TSA is a jobs program for the otherwise unemployable -"

And helping luggage crooks be more productive.

It's not known as the Thieves Support Association for nothing. *

*Unless they started putting CCTV in the TSA luggage inspection areas.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "The TSA is a jobs program for the otherwise unemployable -"

*Unless they started putting CCTV in the TSA luggage inspection areas.

They can't, of course, for "reasons of national security"

I have absolutely no problem with customs opening my luggage in front of me in the presence of witnesses, but uncontrolled access without supervision is not just a route for theft, it also introduces the possibility of a setup. Heck, they could even turn people unwittingly into drug mules for all we know.

2. goldcd

On it does make sense.

"..is designed to.." being the important bit

They're not actually saying it actually "does" identify individuals on the basis of an objective process, which as they've actually designed, deployed and are using SPOT, is what you'd want to hear and they'd like to say.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

TSA's behavior detection approach is designed to identify and engage individuals who may be high-risk (eg, possess malicious intent) on the basis of an objective process using behavioral indicators and thresholds, and then route them to additional security screening

Indeed. For a while, I was randomly selected for the enhanced security screening every time I would board a flight in the US. I can't be sure what was the objective process used to make the determination, but my guess is that it was a combination of three factors: at the time, I had a crew haircut and a full-face beard, making me look like a muslim to some idiots. I believe the second factor was a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit I took, where I got rerouted through Paris. The TSA guy I had to explain this to clearly took this as a fiendish attempt to evade the then-ongoing paroxism of the wars on stuff, and ended up making copious notes - which undoubtedly went on my file. The final straw was my unfortunate tendency to be polite to older helpless-looking people, which once prompted me to help a very nice old lady in a muslim dress to move her luggage in an area where TSA in their infinite wisdom has barred luggage trolleys. I also chatted to her afterwards for a while, as we were both waiting for a flight.

Bingo.

For the next two years, my every attempt to check in online will fail. Every boarding pass I will get at the airport will have the dreaded "SSSS" security flag. If I were lucky that day, I'd just get an extra security machine or two and a bit of light whole-body massage; if not, it would be into the waiting room for an interview - so after a while I started carring some extra reading material, and allocating extra two hours for clearing the security.

Then, after couple of years of this charade, it just stopped. No doubt TSA paperwork has shown that Yet Another Security Incident was prevented by the clever behaviour-science wizards at TSA.

4. fajensen
      Facepalm

What did people imagine would happen? The TSA was set up rapidly and to do this rapidly, they asked everyone else amongst the TLA's to send them staff: "Give us your best and brightest!" was the call

- of course what they actually got in response was the deadwood, problem people, misfits, idiots, the people we cannot fire for XXX reason and whatever else could be spared.

If one is, for example, the FBI one does not necessarily want Competition to succeed and attract more staff and more funding because of it, now, does one?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Palpy

For enquiring minds, a link --

-- to the artist Simon Tyszko’s Suicide Bomber Barbie.

"Suicide Bomber Barbie draws attention to certain kinds of moral, emotional, and political equivalence, which uncomfortably exist within the nationalistic and political systems that contain them. That these systems are dysfunctional, goes without saying."

Indeed. One may say similar things about the TSA, though I think no one doubts the need for security at airports.

4. a_yank_lurker

TSA

TSA = Totally Stupid Agency only good for security theater and otherwise being a blight on humanity.

1. DNTP

Re: TSA

Well, be careful where you say that- according to the TSA themselves, irritation, contempt, belittlement, ridicule, amusement, insistence on legal rights regarding, or logical criticism towards TSA procedures is a clear indication of terrorist intent.

2. Youngone Silver badge

I don't think that's what the TSA is really for.

It seems to be a method for extracting money from taxpayers and creating empires for approved people to wield.

Safety for travelers is not in its remit.

See: Homeland Security.

3. Stevie

Was it the TSA that were buying high-priced dowsing rod "explosive detectors" from a woo-woo science scammer some years ago? Or was that DHS? Took 'em a very long time to admit there was no "there, there" and throw the things in the bin.

1. Dr Scrum Master

Was it the TSA that were buying high-priced dowsing rod "explosive detectors" from a woo-woo science scammer some years ago? Or was that DHS?

Dowsing rods or not, DHS have certainly been stocking up on ammunition...

2. jake Silver badge

Was a Brit selling dowsing rods to Iraq:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/22/dowsing_rod_bomb_detector_bust/

and

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/02/mccormick_jailed_decade_fake_bomb_detectors/

Sorry, no TSA, no DHS to point at and giggle. This time ;-)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It was the CIA and DoD that paid $20 million for software that could decode secret hidden terrorist messages in TV static. Then it was the Dept of Justice that shut down the investigation into who was paid off for the contract because of national security concerns.

2. Dr Scrum Master

Was a Brit selling dowsing rods to Iraq

Not just Iraq.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651#Investigations_and_export_ban

Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Georgia, India, Iran, Kenya, Lebanon, Niger, Pakistan, Qatar, Romania, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Vietnam, but still not the TSA, yet.

Plus, other brands of dowsing rod are available...

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Absobloodylutely.

The positive sample is too small (and thanks god for that) to draw any statistical conclusions. What do we have today. 2 or 3 attempts. The shoe bomber, the pants bomber and who else?

Even if we have preflight observations of them, it is mathematically impossible to get any results out of a sample this size so trying to get them is a rank raving lunacy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Only lunacy unless you are the bright spark consultant who came up with the idea then you are a genius.

5. Stevie

Bah!

Typical sloppy job by El Reg.

" It also includes a cartoon that presents a mother and daughter wearing hijabs, arguing over the daughter's desire for a sixth "suicide bomber martyr Barbie.""

The "funny" retort from the mother is "you have six already".

Six plus the one in the little terrorist's hands makes seven. The desire is for a seventh suicide bomber martyr Barbie.

This lack of attention to arithmetical detail is rife in western society, its scientific papers and its software, the reason why space probes can't land properly, the hallmark of Fake News and bogus Global Warming Conspiracies and the main reason the terrorists are emboldened and not surrendering and laying down arms already.

Harrumph, sir! Harrumph!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Bah!

Sometimes I can't tell if you peeps hate us or love us. I've fixed the copy. Don't forget to email corrections@thereg ah fuck it.

C.

1. Alister
        Coat

Don't forget to email corrections@thereg ah fuck it.

"I'm sorry, that address is not recognised, the domain thereg.ah.fuck.it may be incorrect"

:)

1. hplasm
          Happy

And we have a winner of the new Banner: subheading contest:-

The Register: Ah, fuck IT.

2. jake Silver badge

$ dig thereg.ah.fuck.it

; <<>> DiG 9.10.4-P5 <<>> thereg.ah.fuck.it

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28625

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;thereg.ah.fuck.it. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

thereg.ah.fuck.it. 3600 IN A 46.252.31.30

;; Query time: 359 msec

;; SERVER: ::munged::

;; WHEN: Thu Feb 09 01:10:53 PST 2017

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 62

::heh::

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

$ dig thereg.ah.fuck.it

WTF? Brilliant find :)

2. jake Silver badge

Does this mean I'm off the naughty step?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sometimes I can't tell if you peeps hate us or love us

Not mutually exclusive emotions, but it's more fun to wind you up a bit than just file a correction :)

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Sometimes I can't tell if you peeps hate us or love us.

Yes.

HTH, HAND etc.

5. Stevie

Re: Don't forget to email corrections@thereg

Oi!

I do my bit for the free El Reg Proofreading Kommando, and do it the way it is supposed to be done.

But.

You put low hanging fruit out there, I claim the right to be the first to kick it in the comments section.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't forget to email corrections@thereg

You put low hanging fruit out there, I claim the right to be the first to kick it in the comments section.

I must be living in a rougher neighbourhood - I don't associate "kicking low hanging fruit" with spelling mistakes.

:)

6. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

"Don't forget to email corrections@thereg ah fuck it."

Ssso you want to keep hiss preciousss rant to yoursself. Yeesss you do. Nasty hackses! We hates you!

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Sometimes I can't tell if you peeps hate us or love us."

As it is in all relationships that are based on an all-consuming passion - both.

"Don't forget to email corrections@thereg"

Everybody knows that - but where's the fun in that?

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

Nothing wrong with the joke. The kid wants a sixth barbie, the mother says she has six already - obviously the kid isn't good at counting, thinking she has five when she has six.

1. uncommon_sense
        Joke

>Six or Five Barbies

Or mum doesn't know that one of them actually blew up in the school yard…

The school bully stepped on it and it's Li-ion battery instantly became an Anti Personnel Mine!

3. Stoneshop
      Mushroom

Six plus the one in the little terrorist's hands makes seven. The desire is for a seventh suicide bomber martyr Barbie.

One just exploded.

6. Oh Homer
    Mushroom

What's good for the goose...

Based on the behaviour of the US government, they are all terrorists.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is "Black Country Accent" on the list??

Just asking, my sons GF was pulled for drug searches EVERY time they went through a US airport last year, no one else in the rather large group was even glanced at (she speaks broad Dudley); the rest speak with slightly more refined accents (Shropshire and Worcestershire).

Me?? I have refused to visit the US since they pointed machine guns at my 7 y/o son, because he had a drawing pin stuck in the heel of one shoe; and took his Mickey mouse toy away, "because it looked like a gun"; even then, clearing security in the US took nearly as long as the flight.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Re: Is "Black Country Accent" on the list??

You think thats bad.... wait until you set off the metal detectors .....because of the surgically implanted metal that holds your leg together...

"look out hes got a suicide leg!"

Boris

<<despising the twonk staffed agency since they cut the straps on his backpack in order to open it....... the helpful plastic clips that held it shut were 1 inch away ....

1. Mark 85

We've given up flying for this very reason. Full stop. My lady has a prosthetic leg and numerous joint replacements. She gets pulled out every freakin' time. She'll them that she can't do some things they want her to like raise her hands over her head (shoulder replacements) and then they try to force her arms to move where they can't. They'll fiddle with her prosthetic for awhile, discover the battery (it's microprocessor leg) and try to confiscate it because.. bombs.

Fucking morons running amok is what they are.

2. Stevie

Re: You think thats bad.

You think that's bad. Wait until you set off the plastic explosive scanner alerts with the arthritis in your joints.

"Would you mind stepping into the body scanner sir?"

"Not at all."

Buzz Buzz Whoosh Whoosh

"Er ... officer, could you inspect the passenger's knees and thighs please?"

"Wait, what? Doesn't someone have to offer me candy first?"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe I haven't lost my black country accent then... (I moved away 19 years ago.)

My family managed to clock up 7 bag searches spread across 5 of us on a recent trip to Florida from the UK. (We changed flights at Washington, hence managed to clock up more bag searches than we had items of hand baggage by having bag checks there as well as in the UK...)

For the record, it gets pretty boring once you've worked out that your offspring *hasn't* put a tub of rice pudding or a large rock in their bag *this* time and it's just some strange configuration of crayons, books toys etc. that's making the staff working the scanner worry...

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

she speaks broad Dudley

Caught in posession of an offensive accent? Travelling while Dudley?

8. Dr Scrum Master

KGB

Have some retired KGB chaps been providing advice to the TSA?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: KGB

Have some retired KGB chaps been providing advice to the TSA?

No, judging by the cruelty on display they must be descendants of all the Nazis scientists the US took in after the war instead of convicting them as war criminals. You must be pretty deluded to think that what they do contributes in any way to security - you could achieve just as much at 1% of the cost by randomisation. Actually, I think that may actually be more effective as it takes away the profile blindness they have at present: if you know what profiles they use you can work on falling outside those parameters (which MUSt be happening already). By randomisation you strip predictability from the process and thus increate the risk of detection.

But hey, that would mean someone would have to hand in 99% of their budget. Not going to happen - troughs must be filled for that many snouts..

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: KGB

"Have some retired KGB chaps been providing advice to the TSA?"

Probably not. The KGB were highly trained, competent professionals. So that's 0 out of 3 for the TSA.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You don't understand

Big Brother loves you! Loves you long time

Anon obviously

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Women easier to indoctrinate ?

Funny. My brief time with a military organization far more reputable than the TSA taught that women were much harder to indoctrinate in a military situation as they are not natural team players to the extent that men are (no idea if that is true, but it is what was taught).

1. Hollerithevo

Re: Women easier to indoctrinate ?

I was held up in Israel because I was an older female traveling with an older female and we were Just The Type to be sweet-talked by young and sexy Hamid and Abdul into taking 'presents' back to their family in my country. Because all older single female are putty in the hands of doe-eyed young Palestinians. I guess even the lesbian ones, like my partner (now missus) and myself.

11. frank ly

Unusual behaviour

"... roving officers, some undercover, who engage travelers in casual conversation while looking for telltale signs of malicious intent, whatever those might be. Ostensibly, these conversations were voluntary, but seeking to avoid them or being insufficiently forthcoming was treated as an "indicator" that might prompt referral to additional screening."

Being accosted by strangers who try to lure me into converstion is guarenteed to make me tense and glower. Repeated experience has shown me that those sorts of people are usually up to no good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unusual behaviour

Must admit that when I'm travelling my greatest desire is for people to stay the fuck away from me. A complete stranger sidling up to me and trying to pump me for information is probably the best way of manufacturing malicious intent where none existed before.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like