back to article HPE raises 'at risk' flag over hundreds of Brit services techies

Hewlett Packard Enterprise is bundling hundreds more UK Enterprise Services (ES) staff out of the door ahead of the looming ‘spin merger’ with CSC. Peter Hands, the former exec director of Capita’s IT Services business, now HPE ES UK, Ireland and MEMA cluster leader, has told staff of the latest “Workforce Management” …

1. BillDarblay
    Trollface

Thank goodness

we have an IT 'skills shortage' and these people will easily find good jobs.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here we go again

It's not just ITO, people are being hit everywhere. 1101 to go from CSC also.

No doubt there will be more after the takeover.

$£€¥ing capitalism.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slight Correction - UK & Ireland Enterprise Services

Ireland is also affected by this "Workforce Management" round

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As above, these numbers cover UK&I.

You can also add to these figures 203 ABS UK&I positions...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Word is the total target pre takeover is just short of 800.

Christ knows what it'll be once the dust settles post takeover. But theres bound to be another

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you chart the progression, presumably it is possible to forecast a date when EDS/HP/E/CSC will cease to have any local employees in the markets it purports to serve. A few useless obscenely overpaid fatcat C-suite types back in the Land of the Not-so-free-anymore, maybe a token greasy salesman in the territory, and everything else subcontracted to zero hours providers (like Manpower in the UK), or offshored to the cheapest crappest location they can find in the third world. I believe IBM have actually articulated this as a formal strategy for their enterprise services activities.

You can understand that through their own greed and stupidity the client companies got conned into an outsource deal, but given the truly shite service that then gets provided, you have to wonder why any of these clients put up with the exorbitant and ever rising cost of outsourcing and the deteriorating service. I can only assume that they tolerate it because the PHBs can't bear to admit they were wrong, and because bring IT (or BPO) back in house is hard work that is beyond the meagre talents of those companies who chose to throw themselves on the mercy of the likes of HPE.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It won't be quite that bad. There are a couple of things happening simultaneously; an initiative to deliver everything out of Erskine and Newcastle, and a drive to a 60/40 ratio of low cost/high cost labour. Some of these redundancies are not true redundancies; some roles aren't disappearing, just relocating to Erskine/Newcastle.

Back in May 2016, the low cost labour number was 47%; I guess they aren't at 60% yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

WRONG.

60/40 was an old target. We are already well on the way to 95/5 but this has nothing to do with that 'strategy'. This is about post merger headcount and costs. New jobs wont be popping up in Newcastle because jobs in Hook got zapped.

This is a pure headcount reduction affecting both Erskine and Newcastle as much as it does those few client based and other locations that are left. It has nothing to do with migrations of work into RDCs. It is purely about cutting headcount prior to the takeover. An exercise mirroring the one CSC are doing.

Hook, Lytham, Derby, Sherwod Park, Erskine, Cobalt - all equally affected. Very few people have avoided being tagged no matter where they are based.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Some of these redundancies are not true redundancies"

I'll try to bear that in mind when I get shafted. Cheers.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Even more appropriate is

Will the last one out of HPE please read the Leccy Meter and send the bill to Meg.

How many are going to be left after this round of bloodletting?

Not many who are any good that's for sure.

No matter Meg and her cronies will never have to work (as if they ever did any) again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Even more appropriate is

I take issue with your suggestion that Meg & CROs never did any work!

Bloodletting takes a VERY steady hand, a solid constitution, and an innate ability to work THROUGH the ear-piercing screams of the victims employees..

You'd do well to graduate from leech-farmer to blood-letter!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to CSC HPE Staff (if your still around) You think it is bad in HPE wait till you join us!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC Care to elaborate? HPE ES people are already used to no pay rises, no training, draconian cost cutting, no travel and quarterly "Workforce Management". How much worse is CSC?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

CSC and HPE ES are two cheeks of the same arse.

Both use the same excuses for not rewarding staff playbook

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I left CSC 10 years ago, ssentially because it was nothing more than an IT sweat shop, with barely any scope for job progression. 2 years ago my current employer decided to outsource a load of stuff to HPE (who were barely any better than CSC), and (if I survive this round of "WFM") in a couple of months I'll be back with them.

Damn you, universe!!!!!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only way to get a pay rise whilst working for HPE is to get the bloody hell out of it. Loyal employees (or gobsh1tes like me) are essentially paying for the restructuring/merging of the company this year as we did last year and the year before when HP/HPE split.

We are paying for it through the supression of salary increases, every year there is some crucial re-structuring which involves redundancies and zero Pay increase awards.

Funnily enough though, Meg managed to trouser $16m dollars last year. So at least someone is getting well rewarded for all this essential re-structuring.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And by seeding herself onto the Board of the CSC/ES Chimera she is setting herself up to continue her parasitic wasp like behaviour.

Land. Feed until the host is dead. Move onto the next host.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It seems like HPE is unwinding the entire company. After the services unit goes and the software unit is sold off, you basically just have x86 servers, some storage and a small networking business.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WFM has me in it's sights, fortunately I landed a much better peachy role cleaning the local large bore sewer with a toothbrush !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mathoolie's toothbrush I hope.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And still no news from ElReg on the new name DXC

Four days after they announced it:

https://www.thelayoff.com/t/LR2oVR5

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not made the numbers!

Allegedly they haven't got the numbers they needed via VR, now moving to compulsory lay offs.

I find it surprising more didn't volunteer to jump from this awful company, as I doubt things will improve under DXC! More of the same I bet!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been selected for CR even though my job is there to be done, but will be picked up by other members of my team! The selection process for redundancy is personal, and brutal, putting staff against each other in a blatant cost cutting exercise.

There is little time to find anything else in the company or prepare for being jobless. After 18 years of service first with EDS and lately this shower, that's it! A little bit of me feels sorry for those left, this awful company certainly hasn't finished doing people over!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like