back to article Plucky upstart CityFibre expects to swing into profit in FY2016

Wannabe BT challenger CityFibre is expecting to swing into profit for the full-year 2016, having added more than 5,000 fibre-to-the-premises connections last year. In its preliminary results, the business is expecting earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation, compared with a loss of £2.9m during 2015. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And yet they ignore my queries into how or when they would be interested in my area.

If you pick only the cream of the crop and scream discrimination against other ISP's when not allowed ... pah no bloody surprise. If they managed that in rural or suburban areas I would be suitably impressed and prepared to pay a good sum to them on a monthly basis.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

hmmm

So do CityFibre lay any of their own fibre, or do they just buy existing infrastructure?

On the plus side, if they turn out to provide terrible service, there's a comedy name change just waiting for them along the lines of applying s/C/Sh/ ...

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"largest wholesale infrastructure provider next to Openreach"

Really.

IIRC one of Kingston's features was they laid concrete ducts, not just laying the cable in the road. That meant they could run extra cable down it as and when necessary.

I suspect they are about as much a threat to BT as Cable & Wireless were.

But they are handy so BT can point out to HMG "Look Openreach does have competition. We can't sell them off."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me or...

"In its preliminary results, the business is expecting earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation, compared with a loss of £2.9m during 2015."

is this sentence missing a 2016 number from the comparison?

Greg Mesch? Don't I know that name from the failed FTTP ISP FibreCity which preceded CityFibre? (Bournemouth, Dundee, Australia's NBN).

Yep, apparently he was a director at both. And a whole load of other companies with Fibre and City in the name too:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/nsI-AsDAob35PI0TLrd5DlRobP0/appointments

"William Greg Mesch" is the name to look for on your favourite director-search database.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like