back to article Bloke launches twinkly range of BBC Micro:bit accessory boards

A one-time storage hardware designer has launched a range of add-on boards for the BBC Micro:bit. Nevil Hunt – formerly a hardware designer for enterprise storage stuff firm Nexsan – was exhibiting his wares at the IoT Tech Expo, which took place in London’s Olympia conference centre earlier this week. “Kids are turned off by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

expansions..expansions..expansions

Looks similar in concept to the bit:2:pi I saw flashed around on twiitter the other week.

Allows the use of Pi HATs with the microbit.

Interesting times are ahead if we can get all the boards cross talking

1. Aladdin Sane
      Terminator

Re: expansions..expansions..expansions

Interesting time = the singularity.

Just call me Agamemnon.

2. Jon Massey
    FAIL

“I’ve designed my own connector,“

No. No no no no no no no. We don't need any more special connectors.Use a standard 0.1" pin header you numpty

1. Linker3000
      Headmaster

Re: “I’ve designed my own connector,“

Edit: I see Gaz was onto this and has revised the article text.

I think what Nevil meant was that he's designed his own system/connector to mate with the pitch of the edge connector on the micro:bit - and in that respect he's dealing with what pitch the micro:bit designers chose and not numptyfying* anything.

2 FWIWs:

When the micro:bit first came out, getting hold of ANY compatible edge connectors (or even the spec for one) was a PITA until Kitronik et al started to make them available.

I have been playing with a few pre-production samples of Nevil's boards for a while - kudos to him for the effort put into the project.

*That's Numptizing for our North American friends.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“I’ve designed my own connector, a 40-way pin item.”

"or rather, I stole the idea from the ZX81 and Spectrum, which are the gold-standard when it comes to wobbly hardware attachments"

1. Dabooka

Re: “I’ve designed my own connector, a 40-way pin item.”

You're right, unless he's called Kempston there's nowt new there

2. Admiral Grace Hopper
      Coat

Mine's the one with the lump of BluTack in the pocket.

3. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

I misunderstood Nevil - he didn't design the 40-way connector, he designed a custom elastomeric connector which isn't actually visible in any of the pics.

Story's been edited to reflect that.

4. Tachikoma
    Coffee/keyboard

* As in “small electric motor rotating an asymmetric weight to make your phone vibrate”, not “intimate massager”, you dirty-minded people.

Reminds me of school, a particularly nerdy young man build a "shock box" out of some bits and bobs, much hilarity ensued with the class shocking themselves until he made the comment that if you shocked a certain part of your body then it caused an "eruption" from somewhere intimate. Cut to the entire class running to the toilets to wash their hands.

Never underestimate the ability for kids to turn something innocuous into something rude. Anyone remember the Harry Potter "vibrating broomstick" and all the user reviews mentioning how their teenage daughters loved playing with it in their room?

http://www.methodshop.com/2003/12/harry-potter-broomstick.shtml

Scroll to the bottom of the article.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Haha, nice work there Mattel! But now, seriously, where the hell's my hoverboard?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"But now, seriously, where the hell's my hoverboard?"

Well....if you don't mid it having wheels....and not actually hovering...and potentially burning down your house....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

x2 NICs

that is all

1. Steve Evans

Re: x2 NICs

NIC's really need to have a very fast link to the ARM core, otherwise they're just painfully slow.

Unfortunately most of the little arm chips don't have the necessary fast external bus for this, so they hang it onto something else, like USB (e.g. the Raspberry Pi). This work, but is terribly slow. That's why the Pi is still only 10/100, and can't get anywhere near the 100Mb/s ceiling anyway.

Some board have the required hardware in the ARM silicon, so they *do* have a fast connection (e.g. Odroid C2). They're usually easy to spot as the have gigabit ethernet, and certainly in the case of the Odroid board, really do deliver on network bandwidth.

So for a dual NIC board you ideally need to find an ARM with a pair of MACs built in, with the external connectivity to drive a pair of external PHYs at a good speed.

Yes, I'd love a fast dual NIC little board too.

1. druck Silver badge

There are plenty of ARM chips with fast interface buses, just not the cheapest SOCs aimed at mobile phones or set top boxes which are used in Raspberry Pi like boards.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Yes, I'd love a fast dual NIC little board too.

There's the Banana-Pi R1. It's designed to be used as a router - so 4 NICs plus a WAN port.

1. no-one in particular

> It's designed to be used as a router - so 4 NICs plus a WAN port.

Are you sure about that - 4 NICs? I'm still looking for more detailed diagrams (are they available?) but the site you linked to shows that the board has a BCM53125 Ethernet Switch IC, which makes me think that the SoC has at most 2 NICs, one of which is connected to a port on this Switch. Not quite as flexible as 4 separate NICs.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Are you sure about that - 4 NICs?

No, sorry, loose use of the term NIC -- all I meant was 4 ports. Main point is that they aren't tied to USB the way the Raspberry Pi is, so might be quick enough.

6. FuzzyWuzzys
    Unhappy

Fair play to the lad, I wish him the best. However he's heading into a market that already has Raspberry Pi and a slew of cheap Adruino kit sets from China, some of which are dirt cheap on Amazon. I bought an Arduino set for £40 off Amazon the other day ( when they had the £10 off offer ) bucketloads of bits in the box that allow you build loads of projects, it's going to take a brave person to try to stave off that kind of cost effective kit.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ingenious

I saw this at the Egham Raspberry Jam on Sunday.

He has 7 different boards all running from 1 micro:bit.

The problem with the micro:bit is that in its standard config there are only 3 I/O lines easily available without some kind of additional connector.

What Nevil has done is created a break out to bring the other lines to a standard 40 pin header. Making it usable with all the regular components and jumper wires out there.

It also breaks out the I2C lines.

The genius bit is it's clamped with screws, so easy to put together and they also still include the micro:bit edge connector so you can still plug it into other boards.

On the market. Over one million micro:bits were given away so even if 20% of them are being used that's a starting market of 200,00 that once you attached a couple of LEDs to will need some kind of adapter to let you do anything move complex with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ingenious

'...What Nevil has done is created a break out to bring the other lines to a standard 40 pin header. Making it usable with all the regular components and jumper wires out there...'

So something like the kitronik breakout board that was available at launch then?

8. Mage Silver badge

Hmm

Very nice range of boards.

Unfortunately the BBC "motherboard" is a rather poor design concept.

Still, he's overcome the existing really stupid interface to create a decent one.

9. BugabooSue
    Happy

BILOfix!!

Wow!

Now there's something from my past - BILOfix! (1964-ish, for me)

The mounting frame is made from BILOfix - www.codex99.com/design/bilofix.html

Superb stuff. Built some massive cranes out of it too.

Happy days... <sigh>

10. Pat Harkin

I'll just pop along to SpecSavers

I thought "Blimey, that's a bit of a career change!" and then I saw it said " A one-time storage hardware designer" and not " A one-time storage heater designer".

11. Medical Cynic

But where's the Sideways RAM?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like