back to article Apple goes global in Qualcomm license war: Patent spat hits China

Apple has taken its legal battle against Qualcomm international with a pair of lawsuits in China. The suits, filed with the Beijing Intellectual Property Court, accuse the chip designer of breaking China's anti-monopoly law and challenge the patent-licensing contract between Apple and Qualcomm in China. The filings seek …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Last throw of the dice for Cupertino?

They must be running out of money... (sic)

2. Steve Foster
    Joke

@Steve Davies 3

Isn't this just the lawyers scrabbling for something new to do, now that Apple v Samsung is nearly over?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: @Steve Davies 3

Nah, this is a new company of lawyers. After all how many Harvard Law Grads would be able to practice law in China?

Still gonna cost a packet for Apple.

However, they must think that the fines that QC have given gives them a better than even chance of winning.

1. Gis Bun

They probably have in-house lawyers. Gives them something to do. Paid whether or not they are busy with lawsuits.

1. Oengus

They probably have in-house lawyers.

In-house lawyers still need to show "billable hours" otherwise management starts to question why they are on staff...

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

So they get a good deal in the USA but a bad one in China? Surely it evens out so it's the same as everyone else paid?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

Qualcomm chips/tech is so good for Apple, that iThingies has generated some of the greatest profits the planet has ever seen and Apple now claims they paid too much for the devixes now? That's a serious stretch IMNSHO. And Apple is a hardware company to begin with unlike most of the rest. Shit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Huh?

You think all that profit is due to Qualcomm? They only use their cellular chip, and since two major US carriers use CDMA, they have no choice for a lot of phones they make since Qualcomm makes it untenable for others to license CDMA (that's why Samsung phones sold in the US never use Samsung's SoC with built in non-Qualcomm cellular - it can't do CDMA)

Apple (and Samsung et al) are selling pocket computers that have making/receiving phone calls as but one of their many functions. If I had to choose between giving up cellular connectivity (i.e. had to make calls using wifi only) and giving up all the other non-phone functionality of my phone that Qualcomm has nothing to do with, 100% I'd give up the cellular connectivity.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much does an FTC Commissioner cost?

It's pretty damning that the FTC complaint went in right before the change of presidency and commissioners, when only 3 FTC commissioners were available to vote, and the dissenting one felt strongly enough to publicly damn the other 2 (see here, https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/170117qualcomm_mko_dissenting_statement_17-1-17a.pdf). Essentially we have a short staffed FTC filing grounds against the run of legal precedent in the last gasp of Obama's administration, essentially to pave for Apple to sue to shore up margins on declining sales. Presumably they will use this to try to negotiate better rates. They are about as aggressive towards supplier vendors as any company I've ever seen.

6. Gis Bun

Apple can do this but it doesn't mean Qualcomm will sell parts to Apple again. Qualcomm isn't forced to sell to Apple. on the other hand, it is a big purchase.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ironic

a company whose pinnacle of innovation is a rounded corner, complaining about a company that actually does real engineering R&D with stuff that involves maths, chemistry and physics and lots of resources. i hope they not only get shot down, but also fined double the amount so that they stop bitching and do some real engineering for a change.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like