back to article 'Beeeellion-dollar' mastercrooks in hotel, restaurant blitzkrieg

The Carbanak cyber criminal gang is abusing Google’s infrastructure as a conduit for botnet control. The gang became notorious when it was blamed for the theft of one billion dollars from more than 100 banks across 30 countries back in 2015. Fast-forward two years and Carbanak is now infecting users via a script that will send …

1. Pen-y-gors

Greed, greed, greed...

I don't understand them. If they stole a BEEEELLION bucks in 2015, why aren't they now relaxing on their private tropical islands, surrounded by beautiful young and willing people, and swilling shampoo from platinum pint mugs. Why waste time stealing more?

(Unless of course they're merely paid underlings and the dosh is all going to VPs personal ICBM replacement fund)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Greed, greed, greed...

The most likely reason is because crooks are stupid, no matter how sophisticated their methods are. And the unfortunate truth is that crime does not pay very well, if at all. The majority of the time they get caught, and the ones that don't usually don't get away with billions worth in jewels and live on the island with the tropical girls, and the mango juice, and the good skin lotion that's not counterfeit!

In the end, they are going to steal something and sell it for pennies on the pound, or perhaps some actual currency. Then, get this, they are going to legitimately pay for other goods and/or services. You see the waste of the risk in there? No? You might be a crim, me old son. Best turn yourself in, laddie.

What SHOULD be a crime is me with almost no higher education stealing jobs from other people that do have those creds only because I can build things out of nothing when the mood strikes me, and a bit of luck. I live in a nation filled with idiots who could do the very same thing, if only they read something other than their morality guide and figure out that science and knowledge are what pay the bills, if you have the chops. As the kids say.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Greed, greed, greed...

why aren't they now relaxing on their private tropical islands,

Because those with the drive to do this sort of thing can never have enough. That's why that old lizard Turdoch keeps going with $12bn in his back pocket. Why Trump decided to run for president despite having assets of almost $4bn. Why verminous hedge fund managers and bankers keep rooking the public and the markets when individually they're already millionaires many times over. Why Russian oligarchs keep on playing business. Why Li Ka Shing keeps going to work when his assets are worth $27bn. Putting Mr Shing's name along side Russian oligarchs, bankers, criminals, Murdoch and Trump is to do him a real disservice - he does actually appear to be wealthy through hard work, persistence and entrepreneurial instinct, but the point is still made, that he is wealthy beyond belief, but still works.

2. Mephistro
    Thumb Up

True that!

It's either that they're trying to create a huge criminal entity or they are already controlled by one. ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like