back to article Everything wrong with IoT (and how to fix it) – according to Uncle Sam

The US Department of Commerce has published a green paper [PDF] on the Internet of Things, the first step in a process to develop formal governmental policies on the technology. Following a public request for comments back in April, the green paper attempts to summarize what a large number of companies, advocacy groups and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you guys remember

that one time when Cartman pretended to be retarded so he could enter and theoretically have the advantage at the Special Olympics?

Yep.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

herp derp that's the wrong ep.

this is the mislabelled one I wanted and you probably don't care anyway because the video player needs Flash :P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds Wonderful: A glimpse at the future of IoT + AI ...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/11/china-beijing-first-smart-restaurant-kfc-facial-recognition

========================

"the prospect of a company storing data about customers’ faces and fried-chicken preferences raises the ever present trade-off between convenience and privacy. One woman tells me she wouldn’t use the machine for that reason, but most customers are nonplussed. “In China, you don’t have any privacy anyway,” said Li.

He’s right, sort of. Beyond the world of fast-food, personal data in China is becoming an increasingly valuable commodity. A Chinese newspaper recently conducted an experiment, which found that a citizen’s private data, including apartments they’d rented and internet cafés they’d visited, could be bought using their personal ID number at the cost of just (£82). Meanwhile, the government is rolling out a “social credit” system of digitally stored information about a person’s credit history, consumption habits and incidences of “conduct that seriously undermines the normal social order”. The system also awards points for good behaviour; a person’s point score affects their ability to travel abroad, buy property and enrol their children in certain schools, among other privileges.

It’s unlikely that a person’s lunchtime KFC order will determine whether or not they get a mortgage. KFC has stressed that the data it collects is “highly secured” and “will not be used for other purposes”. But with facial recognition technology planned to be expanded to KFC’s 5,000 stores around China, and potentially normalised into other public-facing services, it’s a glimpse into a future where nothing is private, not even your guilty eating habits."

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Still looks like a s**t idea to me.

But I think a lot can be done in present law, like is a net linked webcam with a hidden hard coded user ID and a couple of 5 year old vulns "fit for purpose" ?

Should the supplier be liable? Well if he sells in the US he should, should he not?

4. Alan Bourke

Everything wrong? Here you go.

1. We can't even keep things that are supposed to be on the internet secure.

2. Most applications of it are stupid and pointless.

3. It's largely just another data-slurping and ad-vectoring mechanism.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It sounds like an exceptionally bad committee document. Everybody wanted to say something different, they couldn't agree so everybody gets what they wanted to say in there, even if they contradict each other. e.g. get your act together vs multistakeholder let everyone stick their oar in.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're beginning to talk about this after saddling most of North America with smart meters? I'd like to say something about their collective intelligence, but it would be insulting to idiots. idIoTs. "I'm dumber than the Internet of Things".

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. David Roberts
      Windows

Re: IPV6, huh?

Wandered over to post much the same.

Possibly better to mandate non-routeable IPv4 addresses? Never going to run out of those. Unless they are envisaging stand alone deployment e.g. mobile enabled devices which go direct to the Internet and don't rely on an existing network. Interesting approach to anarchy combined with central control. Buy a camera, stick it up on a wall, and register the serial number and password with a central server. Pay a rental for the mobile access. Bundled service or your own SIM? Instant surveillance of anywhere in the country in reach of a mobile network. I'll stop thinking about it now and go and take my dried frog pills.

However, regardless, they will probably have immediate free access to the Internet with no action requied by the owner/victim.

Mandating passwords and basic security checking before sale is shirley more productive in securing the Internet.

1. short

Ah, I'll put it back since it's got a reply, looks weird otherwise. Wasn't convinced it added much apart from my general uneasiness with arbitrary companies having endpoints in my premises.

IPV6, huh?

As I understand it, IPV6's addressing will allow a direct link between the IoT widget and the mothership. That feels more or less the opposite from what I want. Guaranteeing that the widget is landfill as soon as either the mothership or my net feed hiccups, and unfettered comms between the widget and the mothership. I can't see how to firewall this, the widget is either going to be connected or it isn't going to work. Do I just hope it's benign?

Nope. Still not keen on this interpretation of IoT.

1. david 12 Silver badge

No reason to go to IPV6. UPnP already offers the same complete openeness to the internet.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like