back to article Strike January: Fujitsu staff gearing up for more industrial action – Unite

As hundreds of workers at Fujitsu prepare to down tools over the imminent threat of widespread redundancies, a power struggle at top of Unite, the union representing the staff, is taking shape. Unionised Fujitsu workers have already taken nine days of strike action over pay, pensions and job cuts – some 1,800 people in the UK …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think striking is the cleverest thing to do when you are threatened with redundancy.

I'm All Right Jack (1959), I'll be turning up for work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They've bugger all to lose, so may as well give those in charge a bit of a bitch slap.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Unite? Good Luck with that

Unite were as good as useless when my last employer decided to wish us all fuckity-bye. Union reps defended the company position. In the end we had a whip round and hired our own lawyer and surprisingly enough said employer found they could actually afford a redundancy package.

United we stand, but not necessarily in a monolithic union.

2. J. R. Hartley

Bastards

Solidarity to my comrades in Belfast

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Regional was the way to go when you could get sympathy strikes in other companies.

But today national organization to stop a whole company like Fujitsu, or Capita, is the way to go.

Not advocating industrial action, merely pointing out the best way to run it.

4. Youngone Silver badge

Offshore

A refusal to co-operate with management hell bent on sending your job to cheaper countries is a good plan.

An older (presumably more expensive) colleague of mine a few years ago took exactly this stance. I couldn't hear what was being shouted in the boss's office, but there were definitely a few F words.

He knew he was being asked to train his replacement, and would be laid off, he just decided to have no part in it, and when the court case was finished he was paid enough to retire a couple of years early.

The ancient Unix box was retired also.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like